F-4N Phantom II "VMFA-531 Gray Ghosts"

Hello everyone, I have been a long time lurker on this forum but have decided to post my first finished kit since 2016. The kit is Academy's 1/48 F-4B/N "VMFA-531 Gray Ghosts". The Academy kits has great surface details but some construction choices seemed a little overly complex and lead to some fit issues, other than that the kit is great. The seats are resin (I don’t remember the brand, I've had them in my stash for years) with photo etch from Eduard. The model is painted with mainly Vallejo air paints and coated with Humbrol clear and then Tamyia matte spray. Im really happy how the kit turned out considering its been 3-4 years since my last kit and this one is substantially better, there is however still some room for improvement such as the paint coat I don’t think came out well because it was very coarse even after layers of clear, but overall I'm pretty happy how it came out. Any criticism or tips will be much appreciated, thanks y'all!

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 37

Welcome! Really nice finish and subtle weathering. What's not to like about an F-4! Great result my friend and nice choice of markings. The only advice I can give is that with each build you keep learning and perhaps try out new ways of doing things. Some may work... some not. The Vallejo Model air is a great choice of paint too by the way 👍

• Like 1

For a four year “dead” period, I would say that you haven`t lost your touch or skills.  Your Phantom is certainly PHABULOUS!!!!!

:goodjob:

Mike

17 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Welcome! Really nice finish and subtle weathering. What's not to like about an F-4! Great result my friend and nice choice of markings. The only advice I can give is that with each build you keep learning and perhaps try out new ways of doing things. Some may work... some not. The Vallejo Model air is a great choice of paint too by the way 👍

Yeah I do plan on trying something new with every kit, next one I am going to try and use Mr Color paints and some other techniques, thank you!

17 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

For a four year “dead” period, I would say that you haven`t lost your touch or skills.  Your Phantom is certainly PHABULOUS!!!!!

:goodjob:

Mike

Thank you! I was also surprised to see how it came out in the end :D 

• Thanks 1

That's a great looking Phantom. Just the fact you used so many stencils impresses me ... a lot! Enhances the look quite a bit. Keep up the great work. You have a lot to be proud of there.

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's a great looking Phantom. Just the fact you used so many stencils impresses me ... a lot! Enhances the look quite a bit. Keep up the great work. You have a lot to be proud of there.

Yeah I always knew I would have to bit the bullet on the stencils, took my about 12 hours on Saturday! It sells the look so worth it in my opinion

10 hours ago, looped80times said:

Yeah I do plan on trying something new with every kit, next one I am going to try and use Mr Color paints and some other techniques, thank you!

That's an excellent way to improve, and the Mr Color paints are superb.  Just be a bit careful as they're lacquer and you'll need good ventilation wherever you paint.  Their Levelling Thinner is great for thinning the paint and will give an excellent finish, and the Mr Color will need thinning to spray as it is quite thick out of the pot.  Considering you used Vallejo's Model Air I think you got quite a nice finish, I really can't get on with the stuff.

8 hours ago, Natter said:

That's an excellent way to improve, and the Mr Color paints are superb.  Just be a bit careful as they're lacquer and you'll need good ventilation wherever you paint.  Their Levelling Thinner is great for thinning the paint and will give an excellent finish, and the Mr Color will need thinning to spray as it is quite thick out of the pot.  Considering you used Vallejo's Model Air I think you got quite a nice finish, I really can't get on with the stuff.

I set up a spray booth to catch the fumes so I'm excited! 

7 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Very nice model of the classic F-4N Phantom ........Great result considering your 4-year sojourn.

Well Done, Sir ! 

Thank you yes!

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very convincing and 'right looking' Phantom!

Slick job!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you!