Airbrushing Ultimate Acrylic Primer

Hutch

This will be my first go with this primer, so are there any issues I need to watch out for and what is the best needle size/psi combination?

Many thanks in advance

Hutch

It is Badger Stynylrez relabelled.

They recommend a high 20-30 psi and a large needle/nozzle, circa .4-5 mm and use straight from the bottle.

That is probably a safe recommendation to ensure good, broad, wet coat coverage to get the best from its self levelling properties.

I have found that is also works well unthinned through my .2mm needle/nozzle Hi-Line HP-CH at a 10-12psi pressure, obviously that is not recommended for broad, wet coat coverage but does show its flexibility.

I am not an "acrylic", whatever that means in scale model paint terms, fan but Stynylrez has impressed me with its effectualness.

Edited by dromia

Hi,

FWIW, I tried the high pressure with 30 psi through my Iwata HP-CS 0.35 mm nozzle and ended up with too much primer on the subject and despite the self levelling properties even had some build up when all was dry.

I now spray it (not-thinned) at a "regular" pressure of 20 psi and I have good control and a lovely primer layer. However, this may just work for me and my equipment.

As is explained in the ISM video, initially it is a good practice to build up layers with sufficient drying time between them. Here is a good video of how to use them, but perhaps you have seen it already:

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Rob

7 hours ago, Rob K. said:

Hi,

FWIW, I tried the high pressure with 30 psi through my Iwata HP-CS 0.35 mm nozzle and ended up with too much primer on the subject and despite the self levelling properties even had some build up when all was dry.

I now spray it (not-thinned) at a "regular" pressure of 20 psi and I have good control and a lovely primer layer. However, this may just work for me and my equipment.

As is explained in the ISM video, initially it is a good practice to build up layers with sufficient drying time between them. Here is a good video of how to use them, but perhaps you have seen it already:

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Rob

Many thanks Rob.  Hopefully I'll be able to start my experimental time over the next couple of days.  I'll let you know if your method works or it is your equpiment.

Hutch

• Like 1

The primer sprays great (I used the Badger Stynelrez version) both as multiple dry passes or light wet coats. My biggest issue with it was cleaning - I could never seem to fully get it out of the airbrush, always a little bit was present whenever I broke the airbrush down for a deep cleaning. Even despite that, I'm trying Mission Models primer right now after I ran out of my bottle of grey, but have a feeling I'll probably find my way back to the Badger eventually.