Gunship Apache.

Opening my account with obligatory picture of the kit:

DSC_0004

I decided to stick with this even though the Big H tried to throw a lovely panner in the works with the delivery of an AMP Sycamore

that's been on back order for sometime. So.......all ready for the weekend, hope you all have a great GB and we all get across the

finish line in the alloted time. Enjoy!

• Like 15

Hi All. As high winds and rain have made going outside with my rattle cans a bit of a pointless exercise, you'll just

have to make do with a couple of sprue pictures:

KIT-2

KIT-3

The kit has been washed (first time I've done this so interesting to see if it makes any difference). @JOCKNEY - I would like to add a

couple of AAM's but I've never seen them fitted to AAC Apaches so it's looking like it's going to be 'Apache Lite'

Enjoy your GB guys, hopefully next time I'll have something to show!

58 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

I would like to add a

couple of AAM's but I've never seen them fitted to AAC Apaches

You could always back-date this to an AH-64A and the trails of the Sidewinder in 1987.

ah105.jpg

Apparently nowadays AAC Apaches could carry A-A missiles, but this would mean that some counter measurement equipment installed on the wingtips would have to be taken of the airframe - which would be a bad trade-off.

• Like 1

Another cool subject choice :) 

On 6/23/2020 at 8:42 PM, mackem01 said:

I decided to stick with this even though the Big H tried to throw a lovely panner in the works with the delivery of an AMP Sycamore

that's been on back order for sometime. So.......

...that'll be your second GB project, right? :whistle:

So, I have started. The core of the kit went together fairly well with no gaps. The cockpit took quite some time and was

really fiddly. Instructions tell you to mount the main rotors at this time too but I passed on that as it would give me four

things to snap off instead of the usual one!

KIT-4

KIT-5

KIT-6

It's a suprisingly large machine, seemingly about 25% longer than a Mosquito which is big enough. The rest of the time has been spent

assembling and painting the myriads of little bits that are stuck on all over this helicopter. More to follow...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Its a bit fiddly, the srt of kit where a third hand would come in useful!  I also forgot how strange Revell plastic is to work with - it never seems to clean up properly. But pressing on regardless.

Edited by mackem01
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, mackem01 said:

So, I have started. The core of the kit went together fairly well with no gaps. The cockpit took quite some time and was

really fiddly. Instructions tell you to mount the main rotors at this time too but I passed on that as it would give me four

things to snap off instead of the usual one!

KIT-4

KIT-5

KIT-6

It's a suprisingly large machine, seemingly about 25% longer than a Mosquito which is big enough. The rest of the time has been spent

assembling and painting the myriads of little bits that are stuck on all over this helicopter. More to follow...

Looking a good start. 

Will watch along as I am doing the Italeri UK version, but it lacks crew and UK bits, so as close to the initial delivery version as possible! No weapons in mine that could be used and no decals for the cockpit etc....

Just a couple of quick ones to show progress, which for me is positively storming along:

KIT-7

KIT-8

Next up will be the avionics cheek pods, which I think are going to give me trouble, and horizontal stabiliser. Then it's filler time!

Thanks for looking...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A little mid-weeker showing some progress on this monster (almost the same length as a Mosquito - who knew!).

The first couple of pictures showing fitting of the avionics "boxes" and a bit of filler:

KIT-10

KIT-9

I found the engine nacelles on my kit were poorly moulded requiring alot of scraping and sanding. Once the avioncs bays were in place,

I started fitting UK only lumps and bumps destroying any semblance of sleek lines:

KIT-11

KIT-12

After more cleaning up I braved an undercoat and first coat of Humbrol matt 66. It's a strange paint - look at the wrong way and you

leave a mark! That said I think it should OK with a coat of varnish:

KIT-13

KIT-14

I have to say I'm still not too happy with the nacelles, I think me and Mr. Milliput will have to pay another visit!

Thanks for looking.....until next time.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

So me and Mr. Milliput did pay another visit and did a tidy up, patched up the paintwork, then gave her a couple

of coats of Quickshine. The results can be seen below:

KIT-15

KIT-16

KIT-17

The trouble with helicopters is that just when you think you've got all the "sticky-out" bits on, along comes another coachfull !

KIT-18

I'll try to progress the model tomorrow but I want to concentrate on my Gladiator in the BoB GB, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Thanks for looking.....

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mackem01 said:

On the final leg this weekend, and I have not enjoyed this but I've fought to the end. One question - the rocket pods are not the correct version  for the AAC. Should I fit them for dramatic effect??

How much will they annoy you in the future every time you look at it?