Westland Wessex HAS.3/31B

On 27/07/2020 at 00:33, Andwil said:

Looking very smart.  I hope my 1/72 one turns out as nicely.

AW

Thanks @Andwil. There is a lot of great detailing work going on in your build, and I'm sure that it will be an awesome looking Wessex when you are done.

On 27/07/2020 at 05:28, stevej60 said:

Great work John,easy to forget it's only 1/144 scale!

On 27/07/2020 at 10:32, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking good with the decals on dude. 

16 hours ago, Hewy said:

Good looking wessex john 👍

16 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That looks fantastic John, a very smart scheme very nicely done.

Thanks for the generous comments chaps. Though I am a little disappointed with the decals and with the roundels in particular, it's starting to look 'tidy' as they say down where H resides. :D

16 hours ago, ajmm said:

Brilliant - that’s very handsome. 

If you are struggling To live with the roundels, then these may help - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DMK14417?result-token=JOtv0

Cheers @ajmm and thanks for the link. I do have a set of those roundels, and I did consider adding some slightly smaller sized ones but there is no white edging on them. I will have a rummage through my spares for some suitably sized white circles, and I guess could always go down the route of trying to make a couple of masks then paint in the white background. There are alternatives if I find I can't live with it. I guess it's just me being a bit lazy. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I added the last few bits to this today to finish this build off. This kit presented a few complications along the way but they were easy to sort, and I feel that I have turned out a reasonable looking Australian Navy Wessex for this scale. Not that there is not plenty of scope for improvement, looking at photos of the Wessex, there are all kinds of cables, pipework, hand holds and other do-dads fixed to the outside. These details, along with the aftermarket improvement sets that are available, definitely make it worth a revisit, and that is something that I hope I can do in the not too distant future. Here is a photo of the finished article, I'll post a few more in the gallery shortly.

50201649023_028b06c43f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 14

That’s another cracking build good buddy. Plenty of time left to start on a Harrier :whistle:
Little H likes this too, but asks if she can have her pound coin back? :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s another cracking build good buddy. Plenty of time left to start on a Harrier :whistle:
Little H likes this too, but asks if she can have her pound coin back? :rofl:

Cheers mate, if I can get my Bucc. finished for next weekend, then there is a good chance that a Harrier will be started. :D

Tell Little H that she can have her pound back if she can tell me the year it was minted. :rofl:

• Haha 2

Where do you buy those 'jumbo size' pound coins ;)

Smashing job John - I look forward to it flying over my house in Saddleworth soon.

Great build - Steve

• Like 1

On 08/08/2020 at 16:32, BIG X said:

Where do you buy those 'jumbo size' pound coins ;)

Smashing job John - I look forward to it flying over my house in Saddleworth soon.

Great build - Steve

It's one that I had left over from Christmas, Steve. You know the ones, you peel the foil back and eat the chocolate. :lol:

And thanks for your comment. I am allowed out now, so keep your head down. :winkgrin:

Cheers

John

• Haha 1

Nice little Wessex, hope my 1/72 one turns out as well.  It is tiny in 1/144 though.

One little pedantic thing with your gallery post, the naval air station at Nowra is HMAS Albatross.

AW

• Like 1

19 hours ago, desert falcon said:

This is a sweet looking Wessex John - there is something sympathetic over it 👍

Thank you very much DF. It is a nice kit, but I was a little disappointed with the decals, which was a bit of a surprise for Mark 1 because they are usually pretty good.

12 hours ago, Andwil said:

Nice little Wessex, hope my 1/72 one turns out as well.  It is tiny in 1/144 though.

One little pedantic thing with your gallery post, the naval air station at Nowra is HMAS Albatross.

AW

Cheers AW, I am sure your Wessex will look great.  As I said in the earlier post, this is one that I will be revisiting and hoping to add some of the details seen in the images this link RAN Fleet Air Arm Museum - Nowra

I have corrected the gallery titling error, having spent a lot of time looking at photos of the RAN Fleet Air Arm Wessex, you would have thought that I would have picked up on that. :doh:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been playing catch-up after far too long and seen your gallery photos of this one before coming to the WiP thread - completely forgot it was 144th scale!