Westland Wessex HAS.3/31B

A return to 1/144 scale for this group build with this Mark 1 kit of the Westland Wessex. The decal choices are for three RN HAS.3's, including 'Humphrey' from HMS Antrim during the Falklands War, and a RAN HAS.31B. I am not too sure which one I will select yet.

50037029728_39aace94f9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50037572496_cc3f7056e8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50037029643_a77496dc0f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 15

I made a start on this yesterday, painting up the cockpit and adding that assembly to one half. I added the glazing to each fuselage half and backed the two open areas on the nose section with some plastic card, and I think that I may have some mesh stored away that I hope I can use to cover the outside of these. I then glued the fuselage together and once that had set up it was time for a test fit of the lower fuselage section applicable to the HAS.3/31B - supplied on the additional sprue for the type. The test fit showed that I needed to spread the sides a little to match up with the lower fuselage section, I used some sections of plastic rod for this, but offcuts of sprue would serve the purpose just as well. 

Here is how things look at the moment, I have to fill around the cockpit rear bulkhead and tidy up the fuselage join before moving on to the next stage.

50079017756_c0b6fc6645_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50078446868_5ebe66c5ec_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50078447023_ebf2aff1a0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50079018311_50fbb19df5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

On 7/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, nimrod54 said:

Thanks a lot buddy. I don't know about 'almost finished' though, I think that join is going to need a few sanding and filling sessions. :fraidnot:

Hopefully nothing too drastic but just think how much worse it would have been without your spreader rods in place.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, nimrod54 said:

Thanks a lot buddy. I don't know about 'almost finished' though, I think that join is going to need a few sanding and filling sessions. :fraidnot:

One of the main problems with building a small aircraft in 1/144 (or so I find, which is why a couple are taking so long). It's very difficult to hide even something as small as a bad seam because there's not very much "rest of the aircraft" to take one's eye away from it.

Unfortunately, in this scale, that's not a small bad seam.  Good luck with it and I'll be watching with great interest for your fix!

• Like 1

Well, I have sorted the join and it didn't take too long. I used some green putty as a start and then , after sanding that back, I went across anything that was still visible with superglue and sanded that back. After adding the tail and tailwheel I gave it a coat of Halfords Plastic Primer.

50119844951_58443257b5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50120068142_a02dbc83b2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 12

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Looking great John, a nice smooth coat ready for the paint.

Thanks Craig, I think that a bit more work around the cabin window and I can get cracking with your suggestion of the RAN version. I have also found some mesh that I had left over from a Tamiya car kit which should make a nice job of covering those holes.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys. I have brushed on three coats of Hu 104 Oxford Blue and masked that off this morning before spraying the top with some white from a rattle can. The masking has been removed and I'll leave that for a few days to harden off.

50129894292_d5254cc3f7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50129675786_2ebabc83c7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

I added most of the decals to my little Wessex today, they settled down well but are out of register and the roundels don't appear to fit too well under the windows, and seem to sit a bit low to me. I am not sure if the windows should sit higher up than they do. I have discovered that there are detail sets available for Mark 1's Wessex kits, so I think that I will have another go at one of these at some point in the future, adding some of those details to the build, that will give me the chance to check the window positions making any adjustments, if required.

50156609782_55ce1d205f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50156377201_bfff28d4e6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have make a slight adjustment to the blue across the nose to accommodate the number decal, so once I have sealed the decals in I will re-mask and touch up in that area.

• Like 12