Agusta Bell AB47J "Guardia di Finanza"

Hello,

two years ago i started this conversion of the well known Italeri kit of the ubiquitous Bell 47 just for fun: we had an internal group build at our modelling club based on the Italian armed forces theme and, not liking any of the run of the mill subjects, I tackled this one with only a general idea of the task involved. A great help came from my brother who, being even more into helos than me, owns a precious 1/48 resin kit and lent it to me as a guidance.

While I progressed researching the subject I got more and more submerged by the many subtly different configurations the real subject had, so in the end I got stuck more from information overflow and incapacity to choose a specific airframe than by the actual difficulties in the conversion.

When I shelved this project I had scratchbuilt the tailboom, the main cabin floor and rear wall, the fuel tank fairings (to be completed) and vacuum molded an acceptable acetate transparent cabin. I had already intended to take the GB opportunity to finish this model, but now that LF models announced a full kit of the 47J https://www.lfmodels.com/ I have no choice, otherwise it will go in the dustbin...

2020-06-18_12-20-01

It seems just a matter of assembling everything but there's much more to do before shooting paint and I am really grateful to the Moderators for alllowing this entry.

My final goal is now to complete the kit as one of the patrol units used by Guardia di Finanza (the Italian Tax Police) from the early sixties to the late seventies, with inflatable pontoons as a bonus since this is the most recognizable configuration you could see from the summer beaches, here below is a preserved airframe at the GdF museum but with skid undercarriage.

As agreed I will enter another build of a pristine kit as a penance, just need some time to make a choice as I have way too many helicopters in my stash  🤫

ab47j_gdf1.jpg

Image courtesy of http://www.elicotteriweb.it/

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

little progress I did because of assorted issues from both work and family, we all know how these things go...

Anyway, I managed to retrieve the pontoons from a Pavla kit and I'm now wrestling with them to obtain something presentable.

On a better note, I started another kit which seems much easier to progress with and I will soon post a proper thread.

Thanks for your interest!

2020-07-27_04-08-28

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whirly said:

Hi Pat,

little progress I did because of assorted issues from both work and family, we all know how these things go...

Anyway, I managed to retrieve the pontoons from a Pavla kit and I'm now wrestling with them to obtain something presentable.

On a better note, I started another kit which seems much easier to progress with and I will soon post a proper thread.

Thanks for your interest!

There are actually some good floats available from DF Helo Stuff

https://www.sparks-scalemodelshop.de/p/bell-47-schwimmer-kraftstofftanks-floats-fueltanks-1-72

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat,

thank you for asking. I resumed work on the Bell only this week by sanding down the new Milliput fuel tanks.

In the meantime I purchased the resin floats as suggested by Troschi and I'm doing some comparison checks, stay tuned for the results.

P_20200916_220047 P_20200916_220109 P_20200916_220059

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I recently purchased both resin floats from DF HeloSTuff and the hot new LF Models kit to help me complete the current project but I'm not sure I did a good move.

Please see below a visual comparison of these two pairs with the old Pavla parts I battled with for a few days:

P_20201004_141323

Detailed measures are as follows:

PAVLA

diam.    9.5mm

lenght   57mm

LF MODELS

diam.    8mm

lenght   61mm

DF HELO STUFF

diam.    7.5mm

lenght   54.5mm

Now you can see there are wild variations... anyone can give me just a hint to the correct proportions? Real measures would be best, but also those of the floats in this Italeri 1/48 kit could help a lot.

Thank you!

123434-10000-pristine.jpg

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...