Chalk Washes?? Flory Washes??

Seveneves

This is my first post to Britmodeller so don't know if I've placed this in the right spot.  I was looking for a general discussion/techniques section but could not find one.  Anyway onto my question.

I've been researching many types of washes and came across something called a clay based wash.  I am trying to figure out if there is a difference between  a wash made with artist's chalk, water and some dish soap and using a commercial clay wash like a Flory wash?   Did a lot of google searches and did searches on this forum and could not find an answer.

Cheers

Frank

I can't answer the difference because I have not used a home made mix as described, only oil paint washes using a medium like lighter fluid. I did buy some Flory washes at a show and find them very nice to use. They are apparently clay based, but certainly look and act as a very well mixed product with the pigment being so fine its not noticeable. Once shaken fully the consistency is very uniform, flows very easily into and around any detail. Once dried, the product is easily removed with damp kitchen towel even after several days. I tend to use it for panel line washes and staining of larger flat surfaces, as for smaller details like wheel wells, cockpits etc I find it harder to remove than an oil wash. A little goes a long way so whilst not my one stop shop, its a common tool in my weathering armoury. 

• Like 1

Weathering powders can be diluted with water or an alcohol based solution.  The finish does leave a rough grit behind, so it depends on the subject if it's appropriate to have said texture.  It's not something you normally use if the aim is that of a filtered colour or panel wash on a clean subject.

regards,

Jack