Special Hobby Meteor NF12

Here's the new Special Hobby Meteor NF12. It's a tricky build in places with some work needed to get various items to fit. Particular attention is needed for cockpit, the engines within the upper and lower wings wing assembly, the undercarriage doors, engine nacelle and canopy. 
It's a lovely detailed kit, but perhaps over engineered in places. However it's a vast improvement over the Matchbox offering and when completed looks a hell of a lot better.... and probably retails at the same price. 
Paints were Tamiya XF81 and 83. I decided to freehand spray the camouflage which didn't turn out as well as hoped so it needed some brushwork to finish off! I must resort to white tac sausages next time. Decals were from the kit and Modeldecal for a machine from No. 72 Sqn at Church Fenton in the late 1950s. The kit decals are really thin though and have a tenancy to fold up on themselves! Frustrating. 
In summary a really nice if slightly flawed kit being more 'short run' than mainstream, but I will be building more (as I have loads of aftermarket decals to get through) and using the experience gained on this first one will make some changes in the way I tackle things next time. It IS highly recommended, but you'll need to put in a bit of work here and there.
Thanks for looking... comments much appreciated 

IMG_20200623_132532

IMG_20200623_132813

IMG_20200623_132613

IMG_20200623_132723

IMG_20200623_132643

IMG_20200623_132748

IMG_20200623_132709

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 55

Well done model! And thanks for your opinion on the kit. This is also a kit I'd like to build one day. It's a fascinating aircraft with a kind of steam-punk look: a mixture of old and new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The more I see of the Meteor Night Fighter models, the more the airplane appeals to me. For all the issues the kit presented, your model came out in excellent form. Really like the paint work.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic finish to the Meat-box Gra!

If only I had the spare time as you have to produce these fine pieces of work!

Pubs open on the 4th July......beer?

• Thanks 1

Lovely Meatbox there, I'm really looking forward to having the time to get my hands on mine.  I hope I can do as good a job as you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billn53 said:

Very nice! This is on my “love to do” list, but I’m waiting for the NF14 to come out. 

Thanks very much. Yeah I'm waiting for the '14 too. No sign yet though. At least that canopy will be a lot easier to paint! 😁

4 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

I must resort to white tac sausages next time.

Pork sausages taste better.

That is a stunning Meteor night fighter.

regards, adey

• Haha 1

Yowzah- looks pretty darned good to me- beautiful Meatbox! Looking at all of the night fighter  versions- that's a LOT of fuselage for not much wing area! I also agree with binbrook87 and billn3- the NF14 is the bee's knees!

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Yowzah- looks pretty darned good to me- beautiful Meatbox! Looking at all of the night fighter  versions- that's a LOT of fuselage for not much wing area! I also agree with binbrook87 and billn3- the NF14 is the bee's knees!

Mike

Cheers! Yeh its a strange looking beast ain't it...but very photogenic for some reason. Not exactly state of the art but filled a gap until the Jav came along 😁

1 hour ago, Michael51 said:

What a superb build.

Great scheme and so well applied. I would have thought you did not need to resort to the Blu-Tak stuff.

Michael

Thanks to everybody for all the kind comments. No...really my freehand airbrushing isn't that good...luckily i managed a reasonable rescue job with the hairy stick! 😁

Fantastic job. MPM do a navy trainer version that I really like the look of, but with the size of my stash as it is I can't really justify... 😢

Edited by TonyOD