Airfix RAF Refuelling Set - Return to the hobby

Hi everyone, 

After a long break from the hobby i've started back up. Purchased an airbrush and had a long spending spree on eBay.

To start myself off easily I thought i'd begin with the Airfix RAF Refuelling Set. I bought an old set on eBay and thought i'd attempt to salvage it (or ruin it knowing me!)

7275902F-35BC-47C0-A10E-83ACD91A8A03

As you can see it's quite an old kit so i'm expecting to come across a few broken or missing parts

47A94B86-D411-4A6A-A246-794356F303DE

Quick brush paint of the cabs interior and glue it together. Decided to leave the doors open so that i can use it for more varied displays

92B6872E-6F3F-4E1C-90AA-6A3DE0B85352

The first problem. A drive shaft missing, barely noticeable when fully built but still annoying.

More photos to follow as i make more progress next weekend and my adaptor for my airbrush is delivered. If anyone has any advice then please feel free to share. I'm not sure what colour scheme to use for this set, I know the one shown with the kit is a post war colour scheme.

Thanks!

Tigers

• Like 9

Hi everyone, made some more progress this week.

Building the main chassis of the vehicle was fairly straightforward but some parts needed a little extra work than others. The moulding of the kit is surprisingly good despite its age!

YR%nHpFcQ0GpSB01s5UmeQ

Next was putting the actual tank and all control systems for it. The instructions were very vague (and having not built a model for a while, I need my hand holding! haha)

DOmz0M0XQ%u9B0XtWIoScw

phQ+aP56SxeEtrpL5Rikhg

ErGPU%nrR0m+F3bKNDgyCQ

Off to the spray booth now to figure out how to use an airbrush, wish me luck! I'll update in a few days with more pictures to let you know if it's gone good or bad!

Thanks

Tigers

• Like 6

Thanks for the great words everyone.

xMqkHFSlSTmPqhFyZtG0Ow

The first coat of paint went on nicely, such a difference using an airbrush and it's going to take some getting used to.

3 hours ago, flashlight said:

Great work so far! Will you keep the backdoors open to show off all the details inside? Good luck with the airbrush!

Have a nice day

Nick

Yes, the doors are going to remain open. I've got some metallic paints so that I can paint the details on the inside. (Depending how this goes, the doors may get shut !)

ZmcKslK1TO6aCAHZxN29qA

Very happy with the airbrush. I'm using Vallejo model air paints which are lovely to use. I'd highly recommend them. I chose the British standard brown colour for the bowser as I was going for a colour scheme that would fit the war colour schemes instead of the postwar blue and yellow.

Bit more drying and i'll crack on with the brush painting.

Thanks

Tigers

• Like 3

Ok so my brush painting skills are a bit rusty and i've somehow become incredibly shaky.

Using Vallejo model air paints metallics set I brush painted the control systems in the back, the fuel lines and the attachments and swivel points.

I'm quite happy with how they've turned out 

%Y2GWZi+Qqamd9gdHcU3GA

MkRyl5+%Swy5DsjXBPp5SA

I've missed the lines on a few bits so more practice should sort me out. Very happy with the colours, seems Vallejo have really worked hard to get them spot on, I'd definitely recommend them.

Any input and criticism is appreciated

Thanks

Tigers

• Like 4