Another Italeri Aeronautique Navale, Suez Crisis, 1956...

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

please don't repaint the weathered parts

Ok.  I won't.  I just haven't seen a good picture of a Suez Corsair so I don't know how weathered they got.

Perhaps I am wrong, but these Corsairs came from other theatres and then the stripes were added for the Suez Crisis.  Maybe the stripes would be in better shape than the rest of the aircraft?  

Thanks fellows.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Perhaps I am wrong, but these Corsairs came from other theatres and then the stripes were added for the Suez Crisis.  Maybe the stripes would be in better shape than the rest of the aircraft

Thats my opinion also now that I've re-looked at some period photo’s.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I just haven't seen a good picture of a Suez Corsair so I don't know how weathered they got.

not much.

French Cosairs in Alergeria ended up very tatty,  but that was the early 60's.  Note the scuffing on the wing behind the exhaust,  where maintenance crew stand.  the GSB is over a zinc chromate primer as well.

Vought-F4U-7-Corsair-French-Navy-Flottil

corsair_10.JPG

lots of photo of French Corsairs here, but none I can from Suez

http://www.frenchwings.net/navy/gallery/index.php?cat=2

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The stripes and chipping are looking great John.

Many thanks Cookie.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

very tatty,

Indeed!  Nice photo.  Thanks Troy.  That's an excellent picture for me.  I just added the decals and I had to paint out a black section for the reg numbers on the fuselage sides.  It's pretty crammed with the roundel, the reg numbers and then the other codes behind them.  Good to know the picture shows the same crowded lettering. 

Decals are all on.  No problems.  I'll ket them set really well over night and varnish it tomorrow.  Then I can attach the landing gear.  After that, pin-wash with black/brown oils, and that incredible exhaust scorching down both sides with the airbrush.  When it's all done I'll add the rockets and the drop tanks.  I don't have any bombs...😪

50058549728_42c1007828_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

6 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I still can't match weathering like that.

Yes you can.  It has taken me years to be brave enough to use the hairspray.  I say you can too, if it is not too late in your process!  Thank you.  I am sure yours will look better up close.  I am a '75cm' fellow...in other words, it  looks best from 75cm away.  Something about scale...

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She really does look fantastic with the Aeronavale markings on

I agree.  Thank you Craig.

• Like 2

Bits and bobs...

Tail wheel, etc...

50061561132_db597709ab_c_d.jpg

Wheel wells...

50060750483_3e369a36a9_c_d.jpg

Wheels and legs...nice little details here.  

50060750543_e2a8b517c4_c_d.jpg

Question...

I would like to put some bombs on board along with one fuel pod and 10 rockets. I know nothing about bombs.   I have some bombs in the spare box...would these be alright?

The long thin crackers are from a Bronco...the others...Hmmm...could be Soviet. IDK

50061561077_5573933edc_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

Bad news about the open/closed canopy option: open doesn't work.  Or at least for me it didn't.  I thinned the walls as much as I could to no avail.  Oh well.  It will be more authentic with the canopy closed anyway.  

The aircraft is, essentially, finished.  I have Flory-washed and pin washed it and the landing gear is assembled and attached.  All that is left are the rockets, the fuel pod, the canopy and the prop.  Then the radio wires...and, yes...almost forgot...exhaust stains...tomorrow...

50062281107_3af95e0b59_c_d.jpg

50061470288_4405529f6d_c_d.jpg

50062280972_9a696b8552_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Regarding the bombs I would leave them off, one set is far too modern and the other looks far too Russian/German.

Yes...I will assume they have already been dropped!  Why the kit didn't come with bombs...who knows?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Et voila!  She is finished!  The rockets are a bit of pain to attach.  The next time I do this I will glue the rockets to the hard-points first, then onto the wing.  The smoke came out good.  I gave it a thin layer of tan-ish stain, then the darker smoke on top of that.  I didn't quite get the elegant sweep of the burn, but I came close.  You all don't know how happy I am that I have now solved my airbrush dilemma!  Phew!  

Too bad about the canopy.  Sad the rumours are true.  Still, it looks alright with the glass closed.  One doesn't want any critters crawling in there while it is on the ground!  

My first attempt at hairspray weathering.  I think it came out alright.  

Also...one forgets just how large these Corsairs were.  Much larger than many of the other WW2 fighters, by far.  Real beasts.  The remaining images are in the gallery...

50064609153_485ddb634e_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I have enjoyed your build from start to finish

Thanks Craig.  Yes...very enjoyable.  I am happy you liked it too.  I upgraded my skill set considerably with this one.  I am itching for the Football War now.  Very unsure about which build.  Plus, I have two F4U-1 kits now--one Tamiya and one Hasagawa.  I would like to build an NMF Corsair...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

one in the Pacific

Yes...'Sally'...and the markings are on the Xtradecal sheet!  The Tamiya kit would do well there...the Hasagawa is for the El Salvadoreans...🤪

• Like 1