Italeri 1/72 + 1/48 HH-60 Jayhawk USCG

2nd build will be the HH60 Jayhawk by Italeri in 1/72. I have the 1/48 lurking in the stash and depending how this goes I may attempt it as a third. 

50036148058_e906268150_b.jpg

• Like 20

Just 2 sprues of white plastic and one of clear. Decals have options for Kodiak, Clearwater or San Diego stationed helicopters

50054418146_22942ccda6_b.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I have always wondered why there was pink primer @Hockeyboy76 cheers, I see my usual Tamiya primer comes in pink

It’s great for yellow, red, orange. There has been builds in the Airfix Model World magazine using pink primer for these colours. This was for my recent Lancaster build. 

23464D2D-07AE-4CDF-AD99-25C08223E525

• Thanks 1

I’ve quite a few yellow nose B’s coming up in the Battle of Britain, so the pink will not go to waste. My faithful for undercoat for yellow was gloss orange 

7 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great choice V, my favourite scheme for this family of helicopter's should be a stunner!

I do hope so Steve, really want to have this on display 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst cutting the grass yesterday I got a gentle reminder about this GB. The local Coastguard helicopter was out doing manoeuvres around my house, spectacular. So, cockpit duly started

50134480462_d92b69f14a_b.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2020 at 18:39, Valkyrie said:

Whilst cutting the grass yesterday I got a gentle reminder about this GB. The local Coastguard helicopter was out doing manoeuvres around my house, spectacular. So, cockpit duly started

50134480462_d92b69f14a_b.jpg

Yes it cost a fortune for your GB hosts to arrange that but you're worth it 😉

ps Pilot said your gutters could do with a clean out 

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks Col, so far so good. My pink primer arrived yesterday so today I’m hoping to make some good progress this weekend

Pink is the word brother. 

Make sure you post some photos and spread the word. @nimrod54 just needs his arm twisting a little more. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Yes it cost a fortune for your GB hosts to arrange that but you're worth it 😉

Do you know it was odd that it only circled right above only my house 3 times then RTB’d. Was impressive, thanks for arranging 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Do you know it was odd that it only circled right above only my house 3 times then RTB’d. Was impressive, thanks for arranging 

Welcome mate, we do our best 😉

• Like 1

Britmodeller at it again, hoping to schedule some bench time but the Antanov flew in over the house to distract me...I am now waiting on it leaving after refuelling then maybe I might get time...

The instructions for the 1/72 are wrong, states all colours are gloss red. So whilst opening the 1/48 to use those instructions the kit fell onto the bench and will be built beside the 1/72..catch up with the 1/48 today and hopefully get interiors complete by close of play..

50196503531_a019741272_b.jpg

Research shows the cabin interior walls is a sea blue, I had used Hataka RLM 78 but it wasn’t quite right so I have tried a rough coat of Akan modern Russian interior blue/grey which actually looks about right. I am not sure if I will have the cabin doors open or not but even so it’s only the 1/48 that you can really make anything out.

50218503548_fbb845b806_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi @Lex77 I have a Dauphin USCG Thread too and that will get pink primer and Humbrol gloss orange from a rattle can as a test. The HH60 instructions call for gloss red for the “orange’ so we I also have gloss red by tamiya. I do also have Vallejo vermillion red which I’m told is the match of the orangey red actually on these. It’s a bit of an experiment.....

• Like 1