1/144 - Rockwell B-1B Lancer by Dragon Models & Platz - released - new boxing

Homebee

Curiosity prompts me to wonder if this will sell well given that Academy released one in the same scale recently and it's gotten excellent reviews. Perhaps the B-1 is popular enough the market will handle both of these kits well?

Seeing as how the Dragon kits are derived from the not that great Panda Models B-1 line of the early 2000s, the 'competition' is not likely to be too hot. Unless people forget, or are unaware of the 'Dragon' kit's origins. 

• Like 1

Another chapter in Dragon oddities, when there was no competition, kit was OOP, now when Academy has superlative product ( probably at a cheaper price too ), now its time to re-release,

another in series of smart and well thought decisions.

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Rockwell B-1B Lancer by Dragon Models & Platz - released
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Rockwell B-1B Lancer by Dragon Models & Platz - released - new boxing
On 06/08/2021 at 07:29, busnproplinerfan said:

Seems to be better than the older kits. Are there any major exterior differences with the A version or prototype?

The B-1A was very different from the B-1B. The general shape was similar but to get a good A you will need to scratch build a lot.

8 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

The B-1A was very different from the B-1B. The general shape was similar but to get a good A you will need to scratch build a lot.

Thanks, I was trying to find reference showing the differences but had little luck.

On 01/12/2021 at 19:06, busnproplinerfan said:

Thanks, I was trying to find reference showing the differences but had little luck.

IIRC: The nose shape is different as are the tail cones (more pointy), the cockpit area differs as the B-1A had a crew escape system similar to the F-111 (I think the last prototype had standard ejection seats - so maybe a production B-1A would be without the crew escape system?). The nacells / engines are all different as B-1A was to be operating at supersonic speeds and B-1B at low level subsonic speeds. Then B-1A had something like a "spine". There is most likely more...

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

IIRC: The nose shape is different as are the tail cones (more pointy), the cockpit area differs as the B-1A had a crew escape system similar to the F-111 (I think the last prototype had standard ejection seats - so maybe a production B-1A would be without the crew escape system?). The nacells / engines are all different as B-1A was to be operating at supersonic speeds and B-1B at low level subsonic speeds. Then B-1A had something like a "spine". There is most likely more...

Do you know which kit wold be a decent starting point? I'd make a B version but not big on the grey scheme, like the earlier scheme or the white.

On 06/12/2021 at 20:37, busnproplinerfan said:

Do you know which kit wold be a decent starting point? I'd make a B version but not big on the grey scheme, like the earlier scheme or the white.

Hmmm... Not sure but I suppose the best in any scale will be the huge 1:48 Revell kit and/or the 1:144 Academy kit (not sure about the latter but think it has some very positive feedback).

Let me dig out In detail and scale Vol.37 (ISBN 0-8306-5050-4):

Ahhh - so the Entex 1:144 kit is of an "A". Same as Minicraft and they say it is the best B-1A kit in the market. As not much has changed regarding B-1 offerings since the print run in 1990, it should stll be the best B-1A kit 🙂

Monogram had the best 1:144 B-1B back then but it was a Snap-Tite without landing gear - I bet the Academy beats it easily.

The 1:72 Monogram is over all too short and stretching will be difficult as it is not too short in just one area. There are lots of errors with the kit - maybe because the tooling started as B-1A. It is neither a B-1A nor a B-1B out of the box and to convert it to an A will be likely easier than to bring it to a B. It is still much better than the Airfix kit which has obvious shape issues. Barracuda has some resin sets to improve the Monogram kit.

Finally the Revell 1:48 beast: Over all a very nice kit. Only downside are the trenchy panel lines.  - As this was true in 1990, you can imagine that these lines are the equvalent to the grand canyon in todays modellers eyes... I wish they were raised, is all I add. Eduard, Barracuda and Metallic Detail (and probably others too) provide improvements for the exhaust, wheels, cockpit,...

Let me add that the In detail & scale volume on the B-1 is well worth to get as it describes the differences of the B-1A and B-1B with lots of photos and line drawings. If you plan to build a B-1B then I suggest to get your hands on the Daco Publication #22 "Willy Peeters Uncovering the Rockwell B-1B Lancer".

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Hmmm... Not sure but I suppose the best in any scale will be the huge 1:48 Revell kit and/or the 1:144 Academy kit (not sure about the latter but think it has some very positive feedback).

Let me dig out In detail and scale Vol.37 (ISBN 0-8306-5050-4):

Ahhh - so the Entex 1:144 kit is of an "A". Same as Minicraft and they say it is the best B-1A kit in the market. As not much has changed regarding B-1 offerings since the print run in 1990, it should stll be the best B-1A kit 🙂

Monogram had the best 1:144 B-1B back then but it was a Snap-Tite without landing gear - I bet the Academy beats it easily.

The 1:72 Monogram is over all too short and stretching will be difficult as it is not too short in just one area. There are lots of errors with the kit - maybe because the tooling started as B-1A. It is neither a B-1A nor a B-1B out of the box and to convert it to an A will be likely easier than to bring it to a B. It is still much better than the Airfix kit which has obvious shape issues. Barracuda has some resin sets to improve the Monogram kit.

Finally the Revell 1:48 beast: Over all a very nice kit. Only downside are the trenchy panel lines.  - As this was true in 1990, you can imagine that these lines are the equvalent to the grand canyon in todays modellers eyes... I wish they were raised, is all I add. Eduard, Barracuda and Metallic Detail (and probably others too) provide improvements for the exhaust, wheels, cockpit,...

Let me add that the In detail & scale volume on the B-1 is well worth to get as it describes the differences of the B-1A and B-1B with lots of photos and line drawings. If you plan to build a B-1B then I suggest to get your hands on the Daco Publication #22 "Willy Peeters Uncovering the Rockwell B-1B Lancer".

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot, thanks. Is that Monogram B-1 short like the Italeri B-58? Sectioned in several places.

I've got a part built earlier version of the Dragon kit, and last year built the new-tool Academy kit, I would have no hesitation whatsoever recommending the Academy kit out of the two. 

The Academy kit is almost a snap fit build and is beautifully detailed, superb decals and canopy masks. The Dragon kit will unfortunately remain part built.

Eng

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/platz.global/posts/474248404218727

【PLATZ New Release Information】

・PLATZ 1/144 USAF Bomber B-1B Lancer 337th BS〔Strategic Camouflage Scheme〕

(Item No. AE144-7)

※Release Schedule: February 2022

Check with your local hobby shops or Go to our online shop at https://bit.ly/3r30c5b

bout the Kit

This is a plastic model assembly kit that reproduces the USAF strategic bomber,B-1B Lancer, which has been operating since 1986.

★ Scale in 1/144 with Dragon made parts, the finish is about 30cm in length.

★ Precisely reproduce the aircraft shape and details.

★ The variable-sweep wings can be opened and closed after assembly completed.

★ The bomber bay can be assembled by selecting open or closed status.

★ Cartograf made silk-screen printing decal reproduces the 2 markings on B-1B Lancers which first deployed to 337BS/96BW.

272796684-474179547558946-27288335839437

V.P.