Royal Norwegian Air Force P-3 Orion.

Bummer about the wheel wells - I have a set for my next P-3, too. Love what you've done so far, though! If you need any pics of the main gear wells, send me a PM. I have a few I took of A9-760 a couple of weeks ago at the Queensland Air Museum.

• Like 1

Lovely progress, especially on the cockpit.

With the fwd undercarriage bay box, can it be cut into a separate top and sides and then inserted and assembled into the space?

It's a shame that the update set doesn't provide the whole undercarriage bays, legs and wheels, as to my mind these are the only weak points of the original kit.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 2:01 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

On the topic of these, does anyone know if the wings bolt on at the fuselage as in two wings and a center section or just one large unit to the floor? if so is there any pictures of the root area? same with the tailplane. I want to know how to model one with the wings off on a trailer but don't want it to look like they were chainsawed off.

All the pictures I've seen show two wing halves that are joined to a centre box on the fuselage, there are some online images showing the Norwegian aircraft getting new build wings, and Taiwanese P-3s being moved from Davis Monthan which appear to show the same layout.

Also, Google 'Orion A9-756', some good images of the fuselage on a trailer.

• Like 1

I do like the P3 so Im in! I work with the CP140 and we also have Norwegian P3s in plant as well, we currently have 299 sitting in the hangar now and pretty sure 206 has been through us. I started a CP140 a few years ago and had the intention of scratch building all the details, I spent a good few weeks on it with much cutting and no gluing at all! I really do need to dig out the thread and re ignite it soon! Anyway looking forward to seeing your efforts, from what I've seen it builds into a pretty decent model.

Bob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with all the extra work I made for myself....aka resin detail sets.

Main wheel wells glued in place

Photo-Aug-25-14-51-31.jpg

Flaps cut out and glued in the wing as well..

Photo-Aug-22-15-15-35.jpg

Photo-Aug-25-14-51-38.jpg

As seen in the photos of the aircraft immediately after the incident there were no under wing stores or pylons.

DNJDy-Zc-Xc-AE3-VGk.jpg

So I closed up all the holes and recesses..

Photo-Aug-17-22-09-24.jpg

Photo-Aug-17-22-09-31.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Ken

• Like 9

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been a while...

We bought a house and moved from New York to New Jersey, and I finally got a better modeling area. For the first time in many many years I can actually get my stash out of boxes and into shelves.

Last pic from the old modeling area:

Photo-Aug-31-23-00-42.jpg

The new work bench:

Photo-Nov-27-20-23-43.jpg

The stash...I might have hoarding tendencies...

Photo-Nov-27-20-23-49.jpg

I'll try to get the modeling mojo back and get this Orion done!

Thanks,

Ken

• Like 8

• 10 months later...

Oh boy...finally getting back on track. Who knew that a new house, new job, new dog, and a toddler could take up so much time???

Anyways.

Here is the current state of affairs.

Fuselage painted, but needs some touch ups here and there.

Photo-Oct-10-10-53-03-Copy.jpg

Engine detailed.

I originally wanted the open cowlings to be on the #4 engine, as that's the one that was hit by the Flanker and had the prop feathered. But the resin would only fit on one of the inner engines. So, #3 opened up and #4 feathered is the new plan.

Photo-Oct-10-10-53-09-Copy.jpg

Photo-Oct-10-10-53-18.jpg

Wheel wells, bomb bay and flaps are all painted white, but still needs some detailing and wash. The RNoAF aircraft are kept very clean, so weathering will be at a minimum.

Photo-Oct-10-10-53-50.jpg

Photo-Oct-10-10-54-08.jpg

Current focus is on the wheels. Once this thing is on it's own 3 feet it won't scrub off the fuselage paint any longer...hopefully.

Photo-Oct-10-10-55-00.jpg

Sorry for the delay in finishing this. Progress should be quicker now.

Ken

Edited by Helidriver
  • Like 10

I don't think there would by any visible damage apart from the propeller blades, but it just seemed more natural to have that engine open for inspection. But since pieces of prop and Flanker flew all over the place I guess inspecting #3 also makes sense.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple of wheels on!

Photo-Oct-19-12-35-29.jpg

Masked and painted the nose cone and anti glare black in front of the cockpit.

Photo-Oct-19-12-35-02.jpg

Photo-Oct-19-13-00-03.jpg

Photo-Oct-19-13-02-45.jpg

Photo-Oct-19-13-00-12.jpg

And, of course, while doing all this the top seam of the fuselage cracked open again. So glued that with Tamiya super thin glue, will sand and repaint again later. The fuselage needs some touch ups in any case so not a huge disaster.

Photo-Oct-19-12-35-19.jpg

Ken

• Like 4

Got the top of the fuselage sanded down. I doubt it will be "perfect"...

Photo-Oct-20-11-41-41.jpg

Top of the flaps were painted red. Will have to mask and paint white as well as fuselage color.

Photo-Oct-20-12-16-35.jpg

Am I missing something here? The front support / drag brace on the nose gear is WAY to short for the resin part and does not reach the gear well.

I see no reference to this in the instructions...

Photo-Oct-20-13-23-08.jpg

Next plane will be straight out of the box...no aftermarket stuff. Maybe.

Ken

• Like 7

On 10/21/2021 at 5:14 AM, Helidriver said:

Next plane will be straight out of the box...no aftermarket stuff. Maybe.

That's what I always tell myself, too! Keep at it; it's coming along nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update today,

Flaps are masked and ready for paint.

Photo-Nov-12-20-18-07.jpg

Fuselage has been painted again, some touch ups and repaint on the top where I had to fill and sand.

Photo-Nov-12-20-17-19.jpg

Nose is clued on. It seems to be of a slightly wider diameter than the fuselage, but I'm not going to stress about it.

Photo-Nov-12-21-39-24.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Ken

• Like 5

12 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful touch-up work there!  You'd never know that the fuselage had split on you.  As for the nose, that's an odd thing.  I take it that's an aftermarket part?

Thank you,

It's not an aftermarket part, but it is from a different Hasegawa P-3 boxing. The nose that came with this, older, kit had a square looking sensor turret on the bottom. Instead of puttying and sanding I used the nose form a different box as that P-3 will be built as a snub nosed Electra.

Ken