RAN Wessex HAS.31b

Probably mad given some of the brilliant Wessex builds here on Britmodeller, but my first entry into this GB will be Italeri’s 1/72 Wessex, built as a Royal Australian Navy HAS.31b.

Here is a look at the box and contents:

49943818798_7d7924dbbf_b.jpg

49944326016_92416862bd_b.jpg

This will need some work, lots of ejector pins:

49944618042_f319d03b6c_b.jpg

The kit comes with a set of Aussie decals from Ronin, but I also have this set:

49943818738_bc80f0da18_b.jpg

49944618157_16f94ffc8e_b.jpg

haven’t decided yet which ones I will use.  I also haven’t decided on how much, if any, interior detailing I will do, depends on whether I pose the side door open or closed, but I am going to have to add the window to the door and make the existing starboard window smaller.

Wish me luck.

AW

• Like 16

Great to see a Wessex in the GB AW. 

In the recent Frog GB a Wessex was completed in the same Aussie scheme and it looked the business. 

Good luck with the build 

cheers Pat 

50 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice choice, not seen anyone use CTA decals so I'm interested to see how they perform.

I have seen a build on Facebook that used them and they worked quite well, it was another RAN subject, a Tracker as I recall.

• Like 1

First out of the blocks!

First job was to take the Dremel to some nasty ejector pins.  Although on the starboard side and behind the door where they would not be seen I ground them down anyway.  Also filled a number of sink holes.

50049604921_d6b886ee72_b.jpg

50049859232_2ed313aaeb_b.jpg

looks like a bit more filler will be required.

Attention then turned to the port side windows.  I initially thought I would have to reshape and reduce the size of the cabin window, but examination of photos of RAN HAS.31Bs showed d that they had the rectangular window as moulded by a Italeri.  I did have to make the square window in the door however.  Fortunately a Italeri provide this window on the transparent frame, but no opening in the door part.  A copy was taken from the 1/72 plans in the 4+ book and taped to the door as a template.  A row of small holes was then drilled around the edge of the window:

50049859687_62ffb8e5f9_b.jpg

The window was then cut out and filed to the correct size, checking the fit of the kit part constantly:

50049605051_dfe5889bbd_b.jpg

seen from the inside with the window dry fitted:

50049858672_3d09def56d_b.jpg

AW

• Like 9

I didn't bother with the ejector pins on mine but I did fill the holes! Out of sight and all that... I'll be following your progress with interest, hopefully might pick up a tip or two.

(I think I have that version of the Wessex in my stash, blue/yellow scheme on the box, might be a Revell come to think of it.)

• Like 1

You're off to a nice start there AW :thumbsup:  May I vote for going with the CTA Decals scheme? It looks rather smart.

Edited by Col.
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Col. said:

You're off to a nice start there AW :thumbsup:  May I vote for going with the CTA Decals scheme? It looks rather smart.

Yes I’m definitely doing the CTA scheme.  Currently mulling over whether to detail the interior or not, I’d like to have the side door open but am not sure what to do with the insides.  I have pictures of the AN-AQS 13 dipping sonar and operators station, but these are all in US Navy Sea Kings not RAN Wessexes.  The ADF Serials Gallery has photos of every Australian Wessex, but very few show the insides and those that do are of decommissioned airframes or museum exhibits that have been stripped out.  In service shots mostly show, through the windows, evidence of seats and a kind of low bench, possibly for a stretcher, so I might go for that arrangement.  I guess the RAN was not keen on photography of its anti submarine capability.

AW

• Like 2

I have fallen out with Italeri a little bit on my (non-GB) Wessex, research has shown up some accuracy issues on the HU.5 kit! 🙄

10 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I have fallen out with Italeri a little bit on my (non-GB) Wessex, research has shown up some accuracy issues on the HU.5 kit! 🙄

Just had a look at your build thread and noted the various issues you have discovered with this kit.  Going to have to, at the very least, correct that tail rotor.

I haven’t made any progress on mine for the last few days, mojo has been down and I’ve been finding other things to do instead.

AW

• Like 1

Well I managed to get a little done today, assembled the cockpit floor and rear bulkhead and the pilots’ seats (here just pressed into position)

50071291077_6826bc8593_b.jpg

and cleaned up some other intervals ready for primer.

Attached the access steps in the right places*, filled the erroneous holes (thanks @TonyOD) and added the grab handles (?) at the top of the door opening

50070474873_7ec76fde11_b.jpg

morefiller was added after this photo was taken.

Finally, ribs and stringers sanded away as a result of eliminating the sink holes and ejector pins were reinstated with evergreen rod:

50071036556_be4bdc0095_b.jpg

macro photography can be so brutal!

Test fitted some other parts, the undercarriage is going to be interesting, there are no location points for the lower arms, at least not in the places where they need to attach.

AW

* if your subject has the black painted area around the steps and you plan on using a decal for this, do not fit the steps at this stage as you will not be able to apply the decal.  Ask me how I know...

Edited by Andwil
Added warning re steps
  • Like 3

Grab handles? Nobody ever said anything about grab handles! 🤨

I had another look at the instructions last night and in fact Italeri would have us glue the two out-of-line steps on alongside those two little recesses, that don't appear on the actual aircraft far as I can see. I'm sure they just make this stuff up as they go along.

And that rotor... 🙄

Edited by TonyOD

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

@Andwil PS can you point me towards your Sea Harrier thread from the In The Navy GB? Ta.

Here you go.

AW

• Thanks 1

Can't imagine there'd be a huge difference in equipment fit between the two forces using the same machine in the same role and even if so it seems unlikely anyone can correct you if interior shots are rare ;) 

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Can't imagine there'd be a huge difference in equipment fit between the two forces using the same machine in the same role and even if so it seems unlikely anyone can correct you if interior shots are rare ;) 

Actually the RAN used the American AN/AQS-13 Sonar in place of the Plessy equipment on the British machines.  The equipment is quite different in appearance and layout.

I’m currently leaning toward only having the door slightly ajar.

AW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An update on the little progress I’ve made with the Wessex.  A lot of time has been spent on scratching some details for the interior, most of them have gone into the bin as I was really not happy with them.  I am not going for total accuracy, just something to busy up the cabin, some representations of seats and a bench plus the underside of the transmission tunnel which intrudes into the front of the cabin. I’ll put some primer on this lot and see how it comes up under paint.

50088969968_4fa3251116_b.jpg

bits just placed loosely in position:

50089542951_251228762e_b.jpg

Looking at that picture I think I will reduce the length of the seat legs.

AW

• Like 7

On 7/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, Andwil said:

An update on the little progress I’ve made with the Wessex.  A lot of time has been spent on scratching some details for the interior, most of them have gone into the bin as I was really not happy with them.  I am not going for total accuracy, just something to busy up the cabin, some representations of seats and a bench plus the underside of the transmission tunnel which intrudes into the front of the cabin. I’ll put some primer on this lot and see how it comes up under paint.

50088969968_4fa3251116_b.jpg

bits just placed loosely in position:

50089542951_251228762e_b.jpg

Looking at that picture I think I will reduce the length of the seat legs.

AW

My out-the-box seats are a distant memory by now, and are hiding away in the dark as all my windows are masked up. Looks great, I like the little table! Been having all sorts of aggro with mine...

• Like 2

Work continues on the insides, some paint applied to the cockpit and seats:

50107535342_2f8c1a580f_b.jpg

and the instrument panel:

50107535332_1f98081c9a_b.jpg

inside canopy framing and overhead panel, a small slice of .5mm rod added to represent the rotor brake:

50107535312_bdc88a80de_b.jpg

Some assembly and painting of the main cabin:

50107295511_ee536ecddf_b.jpg

50106725583_7304a56cf9_b.jpg

Finally, a fire extinguisher out of rod for the cockpit:

50107535302_bc830b36d7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 9

Looking great. Love the little fire extinguisher! Haven't got my head around how I'm going to do those tiny windscreen wipers yet...

• Thanks 1