Douglas A-1J Skyraider

Hi again, more old sins :)

nothing says dirty like a Skyraider and the Tamyia A-1 is a fantastic kit OOB, only additions I did was the gunbarrels and scratched that little whip antenna by the cockpit.

Of course it's freehand painted with my trusted Lifecolor acrylics and then I just went bananas with the weathering and had a real blast!

enjoy the multitude of photos of it :D

DSC_4135_zpsr9bbwqnu.jpg DSC_4137_zps6lypfow1.jpg DSC_4139_zpszkufqheg.jpg DSC_4141_zpsblpwie7y.jpg DSC_4143_zpsrdc7vqpl.jpg DSC_4145_zpsgoao9yca.jpg DSC_4147_zps9nzc2gkh.jpg DSC_4150_zps2uf4ksng.jpg DSC_4152_zpskivgfnr8.jpg DSC_4154_zpscllsyh4c.jpg DSC_4156_zpsjybeen9t.jpg DSC_4158_zpsiu4h4az3.jpg DSC_4161_zpsc7drlmq6.jpg DSC_4162_zpsg4hsb7bn.jpg DSC_4165_zpss3mb2jne.jpg DSC_4167_zpsmqcjonwy.jpg DSC_4169_zpslxvoigpz.jpg DSC_4171_zps6lh52yjd.jpg DSC_4173_zpszhmdctzj.jpg DSC_4176_zpsakungyuf.jpg DSC_4178_zpsxrvt5lxv.jpg DSC_4179_zpshstiqc8v.jpg DSC_4182_zpshba6bzsh.jpg DSC_4184_zpsiz0pxj2p.jpg DSC_4186_zpsabygtkgg.jpg DSC_4187_zpsxprw1yeu.jpg DSC_4188_zpsz5uzvm73.jpg DSC_4189_zps4mj9o2b7.jpg DSC_4190_zpszb7y3sjp.jpg DSC_4191_zpsh0z3zcc6.jpg DSC_4192_zpsl5mlwsub.jpg DSC_4194_zpsmub0izbh.jpg DSC_4195_zpsotorlk7i.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Great looking battle weary Skyraider, excellent job on the weathering !

Wulfman

Thanx Wulfman :D

I know there are mythic beast as clean Skyraiders....byt weathered are much more fun :P

19 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great finish you've achieved. The weathering is excellent and the oil leaks  under the cowling are very good.

Thanx Bangor Lad :D

Blowing at very thinned drops of paint with my airbrush gave the oil leaks a natural flow effect :)

9 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

How cool is that?  Very cool, I love it.  I love thuggish mud movers, and that's one of the archetypes.

Thanx jackroadkill :D. 

You me both :D

4 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Superb Spad Jan - lovely finish and weathering!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanx Malcolm :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a fine looking and heavily used Spad, looks like you have had a blast with the weathering!

I am very tempted to pick one of these up - they look superb and for not a lot of money too, such a shame that 48 isn't my scale.

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Lovely war weary Spad, :thumbsup: Makes me want to build mine.

Thanx Bob :D please do, it is a lovely kit and dirtying it up is a blast!

10 hours ago, opus999 said:

Beautiful!  You really captured the exhaust pattern and oil staining.

Thanx opus999 :D got the oily look with wet pastelles and pigment powders.

9 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Lovely work, Jan - I like the weathering and staining, particularly. might have to move mine up in the stash build list...

Thanx Bell209 :D you do that and I promise you will have fun I'm happy to inspire :D

4 hours ago, Muhtesem Ozcinar said:

Love the paint job and this camo, I will keep this as reference for future build.

Thanx Muhtesem :D

4 hours ago, woody37 said:

That’s a stunning finish, proper weathering job :)

Thanx woody37 :D very kind of you :)

3 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is a fine looking and heavily used Spad, looks like you have had a blast with the weathering!

I am very tempted to pick one of these up - they look superb and for not a lot of money too, such a shame that 48 isn't my scale.

Thanx Booty003 :D. I had and please do, a fantastic kits right OOB

48 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Love it, properly grubby!

Thanx F-32 :D very much so.....always more fun than a clean planei :D

7 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Superb looking Skyraider!

Thanx Tbolt :D

SUPERB !

I love these 1940/50s throwbacks that operated over Vietnam and Laos. You have really captured the essence of the USAF slow mud mover with this model.

Well Done, Sir ! 

16 hours ago, Aigore said:

Thanx Bangor Lad :D

Blowing at very thinned drops of paint with my airbrush gave the oil leaks a natural flow effect :)

Great tip, will use on my 1/72 Spad "toilet bomber"

6 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

SUPERB !

I love these 1940/50s throwbacks that operated over Vietnam and Laos. You have really captured the essence of the USAF slow mud mover with this model.

Well Done, Sir ! 

Thanx Tiger :D

So kind of you go say :)

6 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Great tip, will use on my 1/72 Spad "toilet bomber"

Sure, make several layers and dry off then you get the effect of the spill running different paths over time.

5 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

:worthy::worthy:

Love that one...fantastic.

Thanx Dermo :D

4 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That is some amazing weathering! Very realistic well worn finish.... that takes some skill. Gotta love a 'Spad'. Thanks for sharing 👍👍

Thanx binbrook87 :D

happy to inspire :)

If there was ever one perfect model to test your weathering skills on a Skyraider is it!

It's a superb looking model, congratulations on the end result I think you've done a great job.

Rich

Your A6 was awesome Jan. So is this Spad!

I've got the same one to do, I had the old Monogram one which took me about 12 years to finish (had a break from modelling) 

Don't hold your breath to see mine!