Birdcage by Vought

I love the panel variation Dennis, wonderful stuff.

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its hard to see sometimes in my work area, i have to use angled light to see the paint. So in some areas I may have overdone the paint just because I couldn't see it hitting the surface. 

Also, many paints really change color as they dry, so you don't really know what you've got until a few hours later sometimes.

• Thanks 1

Good Morning everyone... I was able to get the decals on this morning. I opted to make it look as if its in the process if updating the stars & bars so there is a bit of a mix on here. 7D3pvDq.jpg

6Gzl8vv.jpg

bk0MJD6.jpg

IR3bFp9.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Im not exactly sure where the black paint splotches on the port cowling came from. But that will need to be redone. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I opted to make it look as if its in the process if updating the stars & bars

Hi Dennis, 

Certainly adds some interest. It's looking really nice.

Ray

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic Dennis, I love the oil/fuel staining, did you have a fan going or something to make the realistic streaks?

No its an old trick Ive been using for 25 years or so. I used to use watered down thinner, nowadays I place a drop of black or dark brown ink on wherever i want the streak to start. I then dip a brush into isopropyl alcohol and pull it through the ink in the directions it would blow or flow. Get it where you want and use kitchen towel or 🧻 to wipe of the excess. You can build up the streaking until your are happy. If you over do it take paper and a lot of alcohol to wipe it off. Of course all of this is over a gloss coat which protects the paint. The mud streaking is pastel chalks and water to make a flurry spread on with water.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

You've  made a cracking job of it dennis, it looks ace, if i may what have you used for the coral mud?

Simple tan pastel chalk sanded down in to a fine powder, then I use a brush and water. It creates a slurry as i brush it on to the model. I brushed it into the spray pattern I've seen in photo’s. I imagine its something similar to flory washes. If i wipe it off like I did on the lower tailplanes it leaves a light stain. 

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Ah, i see pastels,missed that 👍,very effective

Sorry should have looked a bit further. 

• Thanks 1