Astrodomes ahoy! Vickers Valetta T.3 1:72 Valom kit

Just managed to catch up Chally and you are doing a brilliant job mate,....... I cannot wait to see this one finished but I`m enjoying the journey,.....keep up the brilliant work,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

Just managed to catch up Chally and you are doing a brilliant job mate,....... I cannot wait to see this one finished but I`m enjoying the journey,.....keep up the brilliant work,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'm just now running into the first big issue with the kit for me, and I think I knew it was coming, those engines and cowlings.

The kit instructions have you place an engine (or impressions of!) into one half of the cowling, fwd of a molded in ledge which correctly locates it, and then close the assembly up with the other cowling half.

This makes it incredibly hard to clean up the cowling and intake area, and to paint the inside of it without seams.

I've decided to remove one of the ledges from each cowling assembly, join the two halves together and then I can clean up and paint the cowling assembly as one piece before fitting the engine in from the rear.

That last bit will require lots of patience and some superglue.

I have joined the two cowling halves together but have a slight mismatch in diameters and some small gaps at their forward edges.

• Like 1

Hi James.

I was also worried about this part, however, as I reported, I drilled the engine face and the firewall and fitted a prop-shaft, this way you can get the propeller 90' to the fuselage.  The difficult part is fixing the engine/cowling to the wing.   Once you get the engine installed, you cannot see inside the cowling beyond the propeller boss and spinner.  I am still faffing with the windows.   

• Like 2

I've cleaned up the cowlings now, spent a while filing and smoothing the inlet and then thinning down the rear cooling doors to more of a scale thickness, finally rescribing the panel lines.

As Robin touches on above, when the prop and spinner is in place you can hardly see into the cowling itself.  The tricky bit for me now is to line the engine up correctly inside the cowling as this one part ensures the final alignment of the whole cowling, engine and propeller assembly, will just have to take my time!

50129383471_591afc197d_b.jpg

Valom 1:72 Vickers Valetta T.3 by James Thomas, on Flickr

50128815863_373a7230c0_b.jpg

50129603312_b6892ac08c_b.jpgValom 1:72 Vickers Valetta T.3 by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 6

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Thanks Tony, I'm just now running into the first big issue with the kit for me, and I think I knew it was coming, those engines and cowlings.

The kit instructions have you place an engine (or impressions of!) into one half of the cowling, fwd of a molded in ledge which correctly locates it, and then close the assembly up with the other cowling half.

This makes it incredibly hard to clean up the cowling and intake area, and to paint the inside of it without seams.

I've decided to remove one of the ledges from each cowling assembly, join the two halves together and then I can clean up and paint the cowling assembly as one piece before fitting the engine in from the rear.

That last bit will require lots of patience and some superglue.

I have joined the two cowling halves together but have a slight mismatch in diameters and some small gaps at their forward edges.

Yeah I had that too,..... and did similar. In the end I cheated and removed the locating log from the spinner, so that I can centre the spinner as best I can compared to the opening and not the engine which can hardly be seen anyway. I think that there should be a cylindrical assembly behind the spinner which continues down into the centre of the engine on the real arcraft,.... if you know what I mean,.... like a continuation of the spinner?

• Like 1

Done a bit more work on the Valetta today.

Does anyone here get part way through a build, and mutter to themselves about wishing that they were building another version, well that moment occurred to me about half way through opening up the astrodome holes! 

That was quite a challenge, previously on models I've had to open up the odd hole in the roof late into the build to fit the clear dome (Frog Shackleton springs to mind), usually by just drilling into it with the right size drill bit.

However there's six of these blighters and if I drill the holes after the fuselage was joined than there would be dust and swarf all over the interior, possibly statically applied to all those lovely windows!  So I decided to open the holes before joining the fuselage halves.

The kit does give a pretty good guide, with gap measurements, for all the pilot holes for the astrodomes, I also decided to use some photo references, and these reveal that most of the kit guidance is good, but they are a bit wrongly positioned the further aft you get.

I marked the centres and then used a 7mm circle guide to mark the cutout holes, I then chopped out the holes with a scalpel before making good with a file to the just over 7mm required to fit the domes.  It took a while and was fiddly, but it's done.

50156989887_bd7b267cc5_b.jpg

50156915657_fbe27e8c23_b.jpg

Vickers Valetta T.3 WG259 A 2 ANS by James Thomas, on Flickr

The above picture in particular was very useful for locating the astrodomes relative to panel lines and windows, and also for showing that for this variant you need to open up one more cabin window on the starboard side.  This is the second to rear one, the only Valetta variant that doesn't have that window is the C.2 as it is fitted with a galley which has small upper windows fitted, same for most Vikings.

The kit doesn't mention that you need to open this up, I used drill holes, scalpel and files to open the window aperture up

50156199813_1609617b2f_b.jpg

50156125628_044bbe7535_b.jpg

Vickers Valetta T.3 prototype VX564 by James Thomas, on Flickr

As seen above, the real aircraft has a first aid/rescue kit in a box fitted to the bottom of the entrance door, this is covered by a perspex panel.

The kit has you use a decal to represent this, but to mind it's quite a distinctive feature of Valettas and Varsities, so I have opened up an aperture in the door and I will fit one of the extra windows provided in the kit, with the decal behind it.

50156199723_920bed403a_b.jpgValom 1:72 Vickers Valetta T.3 by James Thomas, on Flickr

The cockpit is almost ready now, so hopefully won't be long before I can button up the fuselage.

50156199568_618488f090_b.jpgValom 1:72 Vickers Valetta T.3 by James Thomas, on Flickr

BTW, @TheyJammedKenny! I agree about that forward upper fuselage curve, been looking pictures of a Varsity taken from above and it is distinctly curved all the way to the upper windscreen rail.  In my first picture above I think I can see where it goes wrong on the kit, you can see it in the lighting highlight along the upper fuselage, it should curve in towards the cabin at the front, but doesn't.  However, seeing Tony marvellous finished result, I don't think it will be that noticeable after completion

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 9

Started my build, and I'm learning from you!  

Struggling with the wheel bays just now.  Did you have to file the side walls down to have the wing halves mate properly?

I also followed you and am scratching the first aid bay in the door.  Any idea what is in the right hand section?  Oxygen mask and tube?

I'm doing at 30 squadron aircraft, so I made my own decals for serials, lettering etc, and the 30sqn crest.  My dad was an electrician on Valettas in 30 sqn during his national service at RAF Dishforth.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RobStewart said:

Started my build, and I'm learning from you!  

I also followed you and am scratching the first aid bay in the door.  Any idea what is in the right hand section?  Oxygen mask and tube?

Rob: recommend that you look at the walk around of this aircraft type (albeit a C2) in the "Walkarounds" section of this excellent site.  There you'll see what appears to be a four-chambered compartment whose mid-section can be described as an "H."  To the left of the H is a fire extinguisher.  On the right is a fire axe.  At the top of H itself is a bright yellow first-aid kit, and at the bottom of the H are (I think) the asbestos gloves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

opening up the astrodome holes

Awesome job with this so far!  I really like your deliberate work at perfectly executing all the cut-outs.  Fitting "perspex" to the door with the decal behind it is a nice touch, also.  I'm cheering you on with this build, and can't wait to watch it develop further.

BTW, the cockpit is far from roomy.  I can't even imagine how I'm going to fit a fourth chair, for the navigator.  Moreover, the radio-telegraph operator (invariably an enlisted guy) had a small work table, too, for his working aids.  I'll see what I can scavenge from an Esci C-47 interior.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RobStewart said:

Struggling with the wheel bays just now.  Did you have to file the side walls down to have the wing halves mate properly?

I'm doing at 30 squadron aircraft, so I made my own decals for serials, lettering etc, and the 30sqn crest.  My dad was an electrician on Valettas in 30 sqn during his national service at RAF Dishforth.

Make sure they are fitted the right way first, they confused me at first but they only fit properly one way.  I did ensure that the edges were straight, as molded the edges flare a little bit, but I didn't have to thin them down more that they're designed to be.

Great to hear of your personal link to the Valetta, you don't hear of too many people associated with it.

I would also look at Tony's recent Valetta build, it has some very good advice and very nicely finished.

I would love to know how exactly the cockpit is laid out, I've seen pictures looking to the front, and odd shots to the sides, but I'm struggling to work out the layout and seating for the rear of the cockpit.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's still on the bench as I speak, however most of my time at the moment seems to be in doibg stuff to the house, photography and getting the kids ready for return to school at the moment.

In fact I was looking over it yesterday and wondering about the cabin windows. The fuselage cutouts look the right size and proportions for the Valetta windows, but then then there are frames moldedo onto the kit windows which effectively reduces the glazing area. I'm still not sure what to do there🤔

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

In fact I was looking over it yesterday and wondering about the cabin windows.

The domestic demands have priority, by all means!  I think the kit windows, as framed, look proportional to those shown in photos of the real aircraft.  For me the key measure is the height of the window above the thickest portion of the wing.  Without the framing, it's touching the wing, which isn't right.  With the framing, it is just a few scale inches above, which is.   If, however, you have your doubts, you might simply reverse the windows (inside out), and mask them according to how big you think they should be.  

I promise to post pictures from my own start to the project soon.  I've done a lot of surgery, including to the emergency equipment bay positioned on the rear cargo door.  My paratroop door will be open and secured to the far wall.  That allows a viewer to see as far along the cabin interior as the wing spar--but no further.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, 71chally said:

First one is High Flight, a 1957 film set within pilot training at Cranwell.  The whole film is worth a watch with some great lines and some brilliant stunt flying, particularly the Provost T.1 low-flying scenes.

It was my Dad who flew all the Provost scenes: a belated "thank you" on his behalf.

He was an instructor on the Provost at Cranwell at the time. Years later, he told me that the 10-second scene with the train took all day to shoot on an old branch line: the film company ran the train repeatedly up and down the line as he flew past many times until the cameraman & director were satisfied with the lighting and camera angles.

I've just caught up with your excellent, well-documented and instructive build - looking forward to its continuation.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just discovered this build thread James. Love the subject, and it's younger stablemate the Varsity. I spent close to 2 hours in the back (rear facing seats behind the crew) of a Varsity out of Oakington in 1971. A youngish student was converting to multi engined flight, under the tuition of a very demanding instructor, and we got to sit behind them seeing and hearing everything - an eye opener in so many ways. One of the best flying experiences of my youth!

I wonder if Valom will ever produce a Varsity............?

Will watch for updates here.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work James! The paint scheme with faded Dayglo orange looks very tempting. It seems that I will need to buy this kit.

So when do we fly🙂 I'm good to go!

Sextant - Checked

DR -kit - Checked

AP 3270 - Checked

Goggles - Checked

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello James !!

Waow, how did I miss it ? It was Valetta season..

Great job in improving the kit !!

Navy painting ?? Please ??

OOops sorry, I see... Cranwell.

CC

• Thanks 1

@Antti_K: jump in and join the fun with Valettas!  Ready?

That's a sextant for you!  Ours featured a periscope so you could push them through a small opening without depressurizing the aircraft.  Nice "whiz wheel," too!  Yup, sharpen those pencils!  The lesson plan is all about dead-reckoning today!  

In my opinion, we need to train a new set of navigators, just in case we're denied GPS services, if you know what I mean.

Looking forward to seeing next steps on this model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:30 AM, Terry1954 said:

Just discovered this build thread James. Love the subject, and it's younger stablemate the Varsity. I spent close to 2 hours in the back (rear facing seats behind the crew) of a Varsity out of Oakington in 1971.

Terry

That must have been a lovely experience Terry, just taking a ride onboard the RAF's last radial engined heavy would have been a dream come true.  Had a flight on a Pembroke, and that was an experience!

20 hours ago, Antti_K said:

The paint scheme with faded Dayglo orange looks very tempting. It seems that I will need to buy this kit.

Antti

That's what sold me on this variant Antti, the paint will be a challenge as I'm a brush painter, but I'm hoping to do it justice.

Thank you for all the kind comments chaps, I have put the Valetta build away for the time being, I just have too many other things going on for me to give it the time it needs to do it justice at the moment, but hope to resume fairly shortly.

In the meantime I will watch and enjoy @TheyJammedKenny!'s build!

• Like 3

• 2 years later...