Focke Wulf Ta 152 C-11

Just made a start on this Hobby Boss 1/48 Ta 152 C-11.  The 152 'C' was not thought to have reached front line service before the end of WW2 (at least one commentator believes that two of them did see action before the end of hostilities), but even if they did see action then it would have been very limited.  I've also got the Italeri/Dragon 1/48 'H' model in the pile, but I'd like to see how this turns out first, before making a start on that. 

So this is almost  - but not quite - a 'what if'.  Needless to say, decal and unit options are limited for the Ta 152 in general, but especially for the 'C' versions, but the box decals look ok, so I'm happy to use them.

spacer.png

The kit comes complete with the 'back half' of the engine, which can be seen through the wheel wells.  I don't plan on looking in there much, so the parts just got a coat of black and some dry brushing..

spacer.png

Cockpit in RLM 66 following by some dry brushing and random black, red & yellow detailing.  The kit came with some PE belts, which do look a bit over-scale, but I used them anyway..

spacer.png

That's it for now :) 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I like the Ta 152. Good luck with the build.

You may find something to help your build here

https://falkeeins.blogspot.com/search/label/Ta 152

Thanks.  The blog is excellent, although for some reason I hadn't looked at the Ta152 page until now.. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jackroadkill said:

Wow, you're doing another FW!  I shall watch with interest.

I'm hoping to get through as many versions of the Bf109 and Fw/Ta families as I can cope with, and see where I go from there... ;) 

• Like 2

Some progress.  The kit seems to be behaving itself, with only some minor filling along some sections of the wing roots..

spacer.png

Close-up doesn't really show it, but the RLM76 is now on and I've also decided to paint the RVD band, rather than wrestle with the kit transfer.  Upper surface camo next...

spacer.png

• Like 4

Difficult session with the airbrush earlier - not sure if it's the weather, humidity, or just general incompetence.  Wouldn't spray for much more than 15-20 seconds at a time without the paint drying on the needle.  But we got there in the end.  Sorry this is a poor pic, it doesn't show much - if any - contrast between the RLM82 and 83 greens, but there really is one ;) 

The leading edge camo demarcation was done courtesy of some 50p 'wavy' scissors from the local needlwork shop.  I think I've got the level wrong (ie it's slightly too high up, but I'm not doing it again.  I'm also not precisely following the box scheme on this - instead I'm trying to do something a bit more reminiscent of the operational 'H' models.  Won't be using decals on this either - going to be using Montex paint masks for the numbers and insignia (for the first time).  What could go wrong...

spacer.png

• Like 6

Looks good, makes me wonder why I didn't make a continuous straight line of my Ta 152C-11 instead of following the painting instructions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Looks good, makes me wonder why I didn't make a continuous straight line of my Ta 152C-11 instead of following the painting instructions.

Make another one - and mix it up a bit.. ;) 

• Like 1

Not far from being finished now.  Insignia masks seemed to have worked well, gloss coat and panel line wash on.  A few more ancillaries to go on (morane antenna, undercarriage legs, etc), followed by a bit of weathering and a flat coat and we're almost there...

spacer.png

• Like 5