1/48 Airfix Westland Lynx AH-7

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 21:32, JOCKNEY said:

Really great progress, I didn't know this kit was so detailed

Thanks Pat. It's a great little kit, with loads of detail OOB. A few extra additions makes it even better.👍

I've been guilty of ignoring this build for a while, as I was getting my Spitfire Vb finished before the deadline...! Now that's done I can turn my attention back to this kit. Work on the rotor head is almost complete - it was very fiddly and there are still a few pieces to add:

head.jpg

The grid lines on the cutting mat were invaluable for getting this aligned correctly!

I have also taken delivery of some brass mesh for detailing the intake guards:

grill.jpg

The one on the left is the one I'll be using on this project - the cocktail stick is for scale to show how fine the mesh is. I'll be following the instructions for making the intake guards that was posted previously and hopefully my results will be as good!

• Like 7

A bit more progress to report...

Work on the rotor head continues; it is now ready for paint:

head2.jpg

I have also buttoned up the fuselage. I will leave it for a while to set, otherwise I fear it will spring open - it was a tight fit!

fuse.jpg

Unfortunately whilst applying pressure to close the halves together I pushed on a window by the rudder pedals, popping it out... Hopefully it will pop back in without too much bother!🤔

• Like 3

Thanks guys.👍

The tape was removed and everything stayed in place. I beefed things up with some scrap sprue across the top and put some filler on the joint - it was a bit rough, I think it had splayed out slightly whilst setting... I have also started building the gearbox and engine housings, so that can be added soon:

eng.jpg

The fit looks good, so hopefully it will soon start to look a bit more complete.

• Like 5

I'm having a bit of an issue with this... I have assembled the gearbox and engine housings, but the fit was not good. Huge gaps and poorly fitting - especially the exhausts:

left.jpg

The other side looks a bit better but there is a huge gap where the rotor assembly sits:

right.jpg

Some PPP and patient sanding will be needed to rectify this. Hopefully it will look better after some attention!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my that’s not a good fit from airfix, 

maybe they should have moulded it in just two pieces split along the centreline. This looks overly complex.

Edited by Dansk

Blimey, that fit looks pretty poor. I agree with Paul that there must have been a better way to mold that, but could it be something to do with the parts break down for the navy versions? Or are they completely separate kits?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll sort it out and make it look fine.

On 03/08/2020 at 21:34, The Spadgent said:

Looks great. Have you primed the lower part?

Yes, it's partially primed - hence the different colours.

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Oh my that’s not a good fit from airfix, 

You're telling me! The kit was a delight up until this point...

8 minutes ago, Filler said:

I'm sure you'll sort it out and make it look fine.

Some filler has been applied and improved things a bit - more work will be required! I've put this to one side for now but will get back to it soon - it will not beat me!😁

• Like 2

G'day Matt,

I have an Airfix Naval Lynx underway and I fell your pain. The engine parts are the same in that kit  so I have been where you are now and I spent a great deal of time testfitting and adjusting to get a reasonable fit. The mould seam on the aft panel is quite prominenet and takes agood deals of scraping and sanding to remove but is easy enought.

I found that Airfix has made the exhausts too big - there should be a visible gap between the fairing and the exhaust itself,

cheers,

Pappy

Cheers Pappy, it's reassuring to learn I'm not the only one having fit issues on this kit. I was very surprised though after the relative ease with which the first few sections went together - I wasn't expecting any issues from this one!

Confession time - I have been putting off two jobs with this kit. The first one was the filling/sanding sequence required to improve the troublesome casing. However, once I got stuck in it soon looked much better:

filler.jpg

A bit more tweaking is required, but it's getting there.👍

The second job I was putting off was building the intake guards from PE mesh. I read the tutorial again this afternoon and made a start - and it was a doddle! I am very happy with my first foray into PE - they look good to me so far, even if I say so myself!

guards1.jpg

The kit piece (clear plastic) is shown between the guards for comparison. I still need to make the framework around and over the guards, but that should not take too long.

I think this kit will progress nicely now I'm getting these two hurdles out of the way.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 23:12, The Spadgent said:

Looks great. Nice mesh work too. 🥳

Thanks Johnny.👍

This one's been on the back burner recently, but this morning I had a huge sanding session on my 747 and thought I would quickly sort out the gearbox housing on this one at the same time:

gearbox.jpg

As you can see, the nose has also built and now I've removed the seams on the tail boom, I can get that attached too.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Filler said:

You've made a good job of that, nice work.

Thanks Phil👍

I’ll be honest, I lost my mojo on this one for a while - it had been going together beautifully before it came off the rails a bit...

I’m back on it now though and quite enjoying it again!😁

• Like 1

I think we all know that feeling. It seems happen on most builds, especially those when you suddenly get fit issues like you did on top of the Lynx. The trick is picking up again and not just sticking it on the shelf of doom! Really looking Lynx like now and that is usually a good spur to get them finished. Are you still going for the tiger striped tail?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2020 at 18:06, JOCKNEY said:

Thats looks really sharp, congratulations.

Thanks Pat👍

On 10/09/2020 at 20:21, The Spadgent said:

Looking great !! Bravo.

Cheers Johnny!

Too many models on the bench and too little time at the moment...! The fuselage is now essentially complete, except for attaching the the tail rotor housing and the transparencies around the nose:

fuselage.jpg

The side doors are just pushed on for now, in order to mask the interior during airbrushing. Once completed, I will display the model with one door closed (to show the 671 Sqn Crest and Tiger Meet logo) and one door open to display the interior.

The rotors are also sprayed and await decals.

Three weeks to go until the GB deadline - I had better concentrate on this one a bit more! :laugh:

• Like 6