1/48 Airfix Westland Lynx AH-7

I've just noticed this GB and have had a lonely helicopter kit in my stash for a while, so will be joining in with this one!

It will probably be built OOB, due to the time constraints of a GB. I might be tempted to get some PE for it, but no guarantees...

I'll take some photos tonight and get my WIP started soon.👍

• Like 8

Here's a picture of the box to get started:

box-art.jpg

No sprue shots, but the kit is completely untouched. Having had a good look at it last night I have decided to build it solely OOB - the level of detail appears to be very high and it's certainly one of Airfix's better efforts.

I have also been wanting to build a model with tiger stripes for a while, so when I saw that was an option on this kit my decision was made:

stripes.jpg

Work on the interior begins soon!

• Like 8

Just beware of the fit if the internal parts inside the fuselage. The mearest hint of Paint (or glue) on the mating faces produces an interference fit that means the fuselage will be hard (or impossible) to close up.

It’s a lovely model when finished though.

• Like 1

Regarding the colour scheme, photographer Phil Cooke has very kindly given me permission to post his images of this aircraft, taken at Fairford during RIAT 2005. Firstly, a general view of the aircraft:

phil1.jpg

And a close up showing details of the tiger stripes on the tail:

phil2.jpg

Thanks for the images Phil, that is hugely appreciated! :thanks:

So onto the build itself. This is the finest kit from Airfix I've ever worked on. The level of detail is superb and the few bits I've glued together so far have fitted perfectly. Here are the seats, prior to assembly, showing the standard of detail provided by Airfix:

seats.jpg

The cockpit construction is underway, with some tiny details in place - the rudder adjustment controls were particularly fiddly! The seats are in the background, complete but without the cushions, which should aid the painting...!

tub1.jpg

More cockpit construction will continue tomorrow.👍

• Like 8

On 24/06/2020 at 22:51, The Spadgent said:

I’ll tag along if that’s alright. Might join in, I haven’t done a GB in ages. 🤔

Thanks for the support! Grab a kit and join in - you know you want to! 😁

GB's are great in one respect, with the usual friendly banter and the chance to see what other people are doing with similar kits. On the downside there is the time constraint... I've finished two models now in a GB with hours to spare - the Vulcan in the KUTA build and most recently the Lancaster. My Spitfire Vb is also heading the same way; I think that should get finished in the final hours! At the moment I'm feeling more confident with this build, but I bet it turns into a rush at the end again!

Work on the cockpit tub continues. A coat of light grey was sprayed over the whole thing then the details were picked out with black. A dirty wash was applied and the decals added to the instrument panel:

cp1.jpg

The seats are a garish day glow orange, which adds a nice splash of colour to a drab interior. I'm starting to paint the seatbelts and other details on the backs of the seats and cushions.

The cabin is lined with a quilted material and Airfix suggest this is painted with Humbrol 78 - cockpit green. However, all the pictures I've seen show a more metallic, silvery colour on the inside so I mixed up some cream and silver and sprayed the panels with this instead:

quilt.jpg

I don't think the photo quite shows the metallic finish...🤔 It looks better in the flesh!

Next job is work on the cabin seats. They are plain bench seats and the real one are canvas(?) stretched over a tubular frame. The kit offering looks like this:

seats1.jpg

I will distress them a bit with a Dremel (taking care not to melt the plastic this time!). Hopefully with some depressions and scratches in the plastic they will then look more like canvas rather than plastic...

• Like 9

Tidy progress Matt. Sure your plan for the cab seats will be a great improvement on the plain molding Airfix have provided.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

quilt.jpg

I don't think the photo quite shows....

I don’t think that photo shows how much CrAzY stuff it does to my eyes. 🤣 excellent progress. 😇🤗

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looking super matt, a lot of quality progress in a short time. 👌 keep up the good work.

Edit p.s. have to agree with you on the airfix standard here, its really awesome with detail, even coming from a tamiya build.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

Sorry about the optical illusions - wait until I post the pictures of the same bits after a dirty wash!😁

The cockpit is pretty much complete. Front view:

tub2.jpg

And rear view:

tub3.jpg

The whole thing has been built OOB - a great level of detail supplied by Airfix on this one. 👍

Work on the cabin continues, with distressing the seats and painting the quilted lining next on my list.

• Like 8

Time for a little update. I glued some plastic strips to the area under the instrument panel, to make it a little busier and replicate the cabling found there. I used a liquid weld glue, which attacked the paint a bit, but once dry it didn't look so bad! Here's that area, seen from the lower rear fuselage:

condy.jpg

I have also finished distressing the seats and these are now painted and awaiting a wash to bring out the detail. I have painted some masking tape orange and will use this for seatbelts:

seats3.jpg

I hope the grooves will look more like creases after the wash! Once this is done, the cockpit tub will be ready for final assembly.

• Like 5

looking great - will watch along - spent a bit of time in the back of those things, one of my old colleagues transferred over and flew them. Now seen on TV flying an Air Ambulance up north....was nearly on the wrong end of one on Telic 1, 2003, when it initially mistook my team as an enemy team...the irony was we had called for air recce support and it was meant to be helping us.....lucky much swearing on the radio and a Union Flag on the roof averted what could have been nasty....note there is no crew in this model either, same as my Merlin....

• Like 1

This is looking great and it's lovely to read about a kit that fits together so well.

Good luck with your mesh covers. It looks a pretty tricky job, but certainly worth the effort.

• Like 1