1/144 Zvezda A321 Niki

Starting a new build, thought it might get interesting.
Hopefully I'll get some relief after building some Eastern Express 'no fit no sense' kits.
IMG-20200621-150541.jpg

This is called the ultimate kit with the flaps, gear and even opened door options, so I'll try to go with the flaps down/doors closed/struts compressed config, decal windows, nothing too fancy.

It's a total mess in the box, an unidentifiable pile of leading and trailing edges, total of six engines (in case what?) 3 IAE and 3 CFM, probably due to technological reasons for conversion from A320 to A321.
Any advice is welcome while I'm sorting it out.
Decals are from aerodeka.ru website, they're completely new to me and I'm excited to check them out. But the guy was nice enough to me to make A320->A321 Niki livery conversion at no cost, we'll see.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 6

I have never built the Zvezda A321 (I can't be bothered with the dropped flaps and other gimmicks) but I have used Aerodeka decals. The ones I used were laser printed and had to be applied over a white background for proper colour density. if yours are the same you may have to give some thought to this. Personally I would photocopy the decals and use the copy to cut white decal "underlays" for the Niki logos and the insect wings although there are other ways of going at it. I thought the Aerodeka decals were a decent product and I enjoyed using them. 

45 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I have never built the Zvezda A321 (I can't be bothered with the dropped flaps and other gimmicks) but I have used Aerodeka decals. The ones I used were laser printed and had to be applied over a white background for proper colour density. if yours are the same you may have to give some thought to this. Personally I would photocopy the decals and use the copy to cut white decal "underlays" for the Niki logos and the insect wings although there are other ways of going at it. I thought the Aerodeka decals were a decent product and I enjoyed using them. 

Hi. Thanks! Indeed all those lights and whistles are a bit in the way of normal build timeline, but why not now, haha. 
I've had a suspicion that lighter elements of the decal might be actually transparent when applied. Maybe I will spray white over the masks because I've got very limited amount of spare white decals, well, actually I've got a full sheet of white doors and spinners, but none of them will help. Maybe a piece of the B777 wing escapeways.
By the way, how do you reckon that steel/aluminium fuselage colour should be sprayed over a white base?
HG-321-OE-LET-VIE-210409-1.jpg

I've got a tamiya flat aliminium (xf-16) and chrome silver (x-11) and yet to decide what to use. Maybe I should mix in a bit of blue colour as well.

Flaps are sorted out, slats are almost. Nose gear bay is also ready. I think I will put some weight inside the cockpit just in case though the plane looks pretty well balanced by the MLG point - you never now.

IMG-20200622-232436.jpg 

• Like 3

Some updates:
The sanding game requires a bit more effort than I've expected but I'm getting there. The cockpit canopy is almost perfectly fitted and the fuselage halves go along.
IMG-20200624-114045.jpg

Engines assembly is almost done, dry fitted though, not quite sure about the final nacelles and pylons colour, maybe subject to change
IMG-20200624-170141.jpg

I'm incredibly frustrated being low on personal time, but I'll just have to get through my half-term KPI deadline before 1st of July, then it should clear up and I'll hopefully start a parallel B738 build

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 3

Hi Steve...

Very good beginning! She's coming to life! As for spraying the aluminum on over a white base...I would think that testing your spray before putting it on the model would be wise. Try a white base, a gray one, and a black one. Each will have a different affect on the final outcome. Being patient, imaginative, willing to experiment will have beautiful results. So far so good! Looking great! And a great model, too! 

Paul

On 23/06/2020 at 13:52, Sent-off said:

I've got a tamiya flat aliminium (xf-16) and chrome silver (x-11) and yet to decide what to use. Maybe I should mix in a bit of blue colour as well.

Very nice build 👍 Personally I don’t recommend both paints, instead I suggest Tamiya LP-37 and Mr.Color C8 which I find much smoother for 1/144.