Gluing PE

Spec7

Simple question really

what do you guys use to glue PE that gives you a minute to get things positioned. ?

I find super glue goes off on contact and  when doing things like ribs on landing flaps, leaves a white residue or dries white ?

Am i missing an obvious answer :) ?

PVA white wood glue, fast drying stuff for gluing laminate is good. 

GS hypo cement

Bostik clear

Varnish, gloss enamel is stickiest but takes longest to dry.

Gel type superglue, to stop the white bloom rub both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol or similar before gluing. It won't stop it completely but reduces it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Spec7 said:

OK i have a bottle of Klear here now. I can stick metal with this ? I will give it a try, what do i do, paint it on and  hold the two parts together ?

No not really - Future works for sticking PE together in my experience if you have big flat surfaces or things that slide into each other (like bomb or rocket fins) that have some sort of natural grip. In my experience that's where Future works for gluing PE - sort of. Future can make that white residue from superglue disappear btw.

For PE I mostly use superglue (gel type does tend to give you a fraction more time to work) and white glue (PVA). For about a year I've been using Mig Ultra Glue and it's a PVA and I love that. https://www.migjimenez.com/en/accessories/1935-ultra-glue-for-etch-clear-parts-more-.html . Mig also have a "slow drying super glue" but I've never noticed it being any slower than any other kind of superglue.

• Thanks 1

Normally I'll use either superglue gel or white PVA glue.. from time to time I'll use 'future' but that's mainly for sticking multiple layer Instrument panels together.

• Thanks 1

I tend to use different viscosities of super glue. Future works well for instrument panels, etc as previously mentioned. I'm going to try soldering for the first time on the Neptune Bomb Bay and (possibly) the gear wells, too. My skills in that area aren't bad but I've never tried them on PE before.

I use super glue (or solder if strength is needed)- and use both methods the same- hold the parts in the right position before applying the glue/solder, then then is no need for repositioning time.

My approach (from ship modelling) is the opposite way around. 

resized_a5fafc8f-1780-456f-84ba-97089119

I put hold the next piece exactly where I want it with tweezers with my left hand then apply medium CA to the joint using an Acupuncture needle and a pool of ordinary green Zap in an empty pill package using my more dextrous right hand.

Everyone has ways that do and don't work for them, but I am a zero patience sort of person and waiting a geological age for white glue or whatever to go off is a non-starter, but applying glue then racing to fit it isn't the answer for me either. Medium CA still wicks into the joint fairly well and excess glue is minimal. Acupuncture needles are perfect for this.

resized_2c833e24-305e-46b0-878c-492534ce

It works fine for aeroplanes too :)

resized_6ca60551-aba1-4bb1-95ec-a984c9fd

• Like 2

I have been struggling with applying CA too, what I found helped was making my own applicators just like the shop bought ones, cut the eye in half on a regular sowing needle leaving two prongs, dip in glue and apply, you can position a part then touch in the glue and allow capillary action to work, when your needle is clogged use lighter to burn off residue 👍👍

cheers

Mark

Fantastic response guys, hopefully it will help lots of people.

I went for a mig ultra as a first try out and so far i am really impressed with a near invisible strong bond

50044826102_1695665d7c_c.jpg

a bit of straightening and some paint and this will be fine

Many thanks to all who relied once again..