1/72 Kawasaki OH-6DA JMSDF

Here's my offering - the Special Hobby MD-500E, or in this case the license-built version, Kawasaki OH-6DA, used as a trainer by the JMSDF.

I'll probably be building 8779, c/n 0593E, based at Kanoya Air Base, though the decal sheet has options to depict some of the other machines in this series.

It looks like nice plastic, a little bit of etch and resin are included, and it will make a nice change from the old school builds I have been doing lately.

No start until the 6th of July earliest, as I am trying to progress some Airfix 109s in the Kit Built As A Kid GB. 😀

50032862136_11a6d8599c_c.jpg

• Like 14

That looks like a nice kit, but must be tiny in 1/72.

I have a 1/48 version with the CMK update set, that has about three times as many parts in it as the kit itself.

Have fun doing it

Andy

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

That looks like a nice kit, but must be tiny in 1/72.

I have a 1/48 version with the CMK update set, that has about three times as many parts in it as the kit itself.

Hi Andy,

Yes, it's minute - hopefully it won't fight too hard though.

Looking forward to getting the bit of dayglo on the tail as well.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looks like a great little kit. 

Yes - been reading a bit about it and it originated with a company called Profiline - new to me, (also mentioned on the box - duh!)

A few bits need a touch of fettling according to internet sources, nothing drastic, so hopefully a quickish build.... 🐢

Might plump for the Kuivalainen for the seat belts - the only omission I can see really.

• Like 1

That looks to be a nice kit of the type. Won't take up much room and be a colourful addition to your display.

• Thanks 1

Wasn't gonna start this yet, but got ticked off with my 109s... and now I'm ticked off a little with this - Mr Grumpy Gills is in the house. 🤬

I didn't realise it was quite as short-run as it first appeared, that's how I would describe it. No locating lugs, every part requires cleaning up, and no real help from the instructions. Fortunately I found a very nice article on ARC by a fine chap, auhlik, who did some trial builds in a comparison with the AZ kit. Anyway, after 5 hours of fettling, it looks like the interior will fit - currently squidged in with blutack. 

Now taking the whippet out for some fresh air. :D

50054078223_ee3da9bc0a_c.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Stick with it JM,looks a great scheme too.

Will do - whippet walked, and so everything is good with the world. 😀

Oh, and I just remembered I have a half a bottle of red to finish...cheers!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Will do - whippet walked, and so everything is good with the world. 😀

Oh, and I just remembered I have a half a bottle of red to finish...cheers!

The world is always a better place after a good red.

AW

• Haha 1

This one has gone back in the box whilst I concentrate on my 109s. I have got my head around it now, the interior will fit, and the cleaning up of parts has progressed. Once a bit of time was spent carefully aligning parts and sanding bits off it looks like it will fit quite snugly together. Next episode in about six weeks I reckon. 😀

50059089273_9d706b8729_c.jpg

p.s. @JOCKNEY - no chasing or strong arm tactics whilst I'm away please - the 109s come first!

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Back on it after getting all sorts of silly things out of the way. The doors are connected to the sprue by rather large gates, and the plastic is a little bit brittle. They also don't fit very well. 🤐 I could have modelled them open, but it is not really often seen, so they are being shaped to fit, and then they'll get glued and filled. I'll probably polish and mask the clear bits before I get to that stage.

The plastic on the tail boom is very thin in places - supporting it with a bit of superglue, as I didn't want to add too much weight that side of the c.o.g. The innards fit now, but need a bit of re-shaping and detailing - so there's plenty to go at. 😀

50271327917_85441ded19_c.jpg

• Like 3

Back on it - Blitzbuild out of the way and should be able to get stuck in, which is just what it needs. Polishing plastic today - one side looking ok, and compared to the other side you can see the difference. There are quite a lot of distortions in the unpolished plastic, and some moulding ridges, (or am I kidding myself?) Doors fit now and just squeezed into place for the pic. 

50305732042_11979b8eb0_c.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Looking good, may I ask how you polished them?

1600 grit wet & dry, then 3600, 4000, 8000, & 12000 micro mesh. Then Tamiya 'Fine' polishing cream and then White Diamond metal polish applied with some denim. Then a mop in the hand-held drill with the White Diamond, wash down with soapy water, and then with the mop again with Tamiya 'Finish' cream. Check and start again if not clear enough. 😀

It's a bit long winded, but there is a big difference on this kind of short-run plastic, (hopefully).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Masking done, 😀, and the ongoing cleaning up of every part continues. 🙄 It's a little wearing, however it's plenty of modelling per buck I suppose. The two halves of the moulds don't look as if they were well aligned during moulding. The tail boom is too short, and the tail rotor transmission is too long, so everything will be ok once it is all faired in. The skids look too high as well - more reference to photos required to come up with a solution. The interior has been remodelled a little and a good dose of lead weight added - using pictures of the CMK 1/48 resin set as a reference. I'll add some detailing before giving it a squirt of primer.

50356022966_35208e0968_c.jpg

• Like 3

The laborious task of refining kit plastic continues - there is light at the end of the tunnel though. Main rotor assembly has one more blade to refine and fix, the tail assembly has been glued and pinned - just the skids to look at really. The tailboom was more square than circular, and so it had a layer of card and subsequent filling, sanding, priming - a couple more cycles to go I reckon. Then I can get back to the interior, which will probably get a coat of matt dark, dark, grey tomorrow, having had a whole week to dry out.

50388212498_9891f17e89_c.jpg

• Like 4

Some spraying done - looking forward to getting some dayglo colours on once the white is a good enough base. Typical of the kit are the badly formed support plates around the skids - don't know if this is a mould issue or something else, but it spoils the look of an otherwise nicely detailed little kit. Rectification in progress & more modelling fun! 😀

50397469422_09e5532011_c.jpg

50397469282_2aabf6e52a_c.jpg

• Like 2