H builds “A tiny Harrier” FINISHED

21 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one, we just need the Airfix 1/24 one now as a contrast  !

Cheers Pat

It’s in the stash somewhere, still packed from the move. Mrs H won’t be impressed if I dig that one out. 

• Haha 4

On 6/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, Col. said:

Not seen the plastic for this kit yet so looking forward to watching your progress :) 

The plastic,

DB87B72B-0505-4BD5-A46E-BC202FAC0A06

Well, some of it anyway. 

• Like 4

On 6/26/2020 at 5:27 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

The plastic...

From this angle it reminds me of Revell's 144th scale Hunter kit but parhaps that's 'cause of a similar green shade to the plastic. Or at least what little I can see of it :tease:

2 hours ago, Col. said:

From this angle it reminds me of Revell's 144th scale Hunter kit but parhaps that's 'cause of a similar green shade to the plastic. Or at least what little I can see of it :tease:

That’s not as odd as it sounds.  When I look at Harriers from certain angles I can see the Hunter DNA in the wing and fin shapes.  Definitely shows its Hawker ancestry.

AW

14 hours ago, ajmm said:

Oh I’ve been wondering how this builds up. I have several which I bought right before we too moved house... Im itching to have a crack at it. 

This GB is a great opportunity ;) 

2 hours ago, Col. said:

This GB is a great opportunity ;) 

Agreed. 

Looking at an old Revell gr1 in 1/144 it looks like Mark1 have used the old Revell moulds. I shall get some clear pictures for you @Col.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

And look, it comes with a winter option!

Be rude not to now that you have some practice. :) 

Little H has called “dibs” on the winter camo wrap. 

Im going with the 4sqn bird and that impressive fin flash. 

• Like 1

Hi,

the only Harrier I ever (almost) built was the 1/144 Revell AV-8B.

The front was a disgrace as the shape was O so wrong!

I spent quite a bit of time trying to fix it, but I was never happy and as the canopy was more than suspect as well, I eventually threw it into the spares' box.

The decals were great-looking though.

So good luck with yours!!!

JR

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don't know about the AV-8B but I built the Revell 1/144 Harrier GR7. It seemed pretty good to me for such a small model.

It will be very interesting to compare with the Mark 1 Model's kit.  Hope yours goes well H!

8bWzu1e.jpg

B6fIoW1.jpg

95gbtbN.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi,

the only Harrier I ever (almost) built was the 1/144 Revell AV-8B.

The front was a disgrace as the shape was O so wrong!

Rather perky look to the nose area caused by upsweep of the underside if I recall correctly

51 minutes ago, Murdo said:

I don't know about the AV-8B but I built the Revell 1/144 Harrier GR7. It seemed pretty good to me for such a small model.

It will be very interesting to compare with the Mark 1 Model's kit.  Hope yours goes well H!

8bWzu1e.jpg

B6fIoW1.jpg

95gbtbN.jpg

Great looking Harrier, although you have fallen into Revells trap. 

The rear fin, the long pointy bit at the bottom comes to far forward for the RAF version along the spin. Correct for the AV-8Bs but not our lovely GR’s. 

Just Googled it. Yep, you're right! Hadn't noticed it before. The Revell Trap works well.         :oops:

Looks like it should cut off just above the 1st figure 4 in the Serial Number... Assuming I've got that in the correct place too of course.         :rofl:   

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Little H has called “dibs” on the winter camo wrap. 

Im going with the 4sqn bird and that impressive fin flash. 

Good to know that Little H will be building the winter bird, will it be in the GB?

Your scheme choice is still impressive, even if it doesn't have any temporary white on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good to know that Little H will be building the winter bird, will it be in the GB?

Your scheme choice is still impressive, even if it doesn't have any temporary white on it.

Yep she’s joining us. Need’s to finish the Spitfire and tidy her bedroom first. (What a dad thing to say!)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Rather perky look to the nose area caused by upsweep of the underside if I recall correctly

Hi Joseph,

you are giving me a scientific and logical explanation. I like that.

At the time my cartesian approach could have been summarized by "Yukkk!!!".

I never paid attention to the upsweep. I puttied, sanded, etc... and got everything quite right. And then I cracked the canopy...

Many unsuccessful attempts later at thermo-forming a new one led to my chucking the model into the spares' box...

I have never looked at a 1/144 kit again thereafter.

Shame.

JR