1/48 blacksheep birdcage

Hewy

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sycamore you say? A certain new 1/48 kit that you rescued from Mike's shelves before the lockdown?

The very same

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The blue-grey over grey as shown with the blue line. The red line is a third color an

I'll  let it sit for a couple of days dennis, and scratch my head a bit

Thanks fellas

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I'll  let it sit for a couple of days dennis, and scratch my head a bit

In the end its your build do it how you want, Im not going to say anything against you. Either for changing a color demarcation or placement of anything. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In the end its your build do it how you want, Im not going to say anything against you. Either for changing a color demarcation or placement of anything. 

I've  just been browsing insignia markings and when the bars were added to the stars, i reckon your right its red around the edges ,  on bw era pictures red comes across lighter, the time scale falls in too for the red outline

• Like 1

Specification Number AN-1-9b

Dates in Service: August 14th, 1943 to January 14th, 1947

The Insignia Red outline was replaced with an Insignia Blue outline through the amendment of Army-Navy aeronautical specification AN-I-9 on 14 August 1943. This was followed by an amendment to Technical Order 07-1-1, issued on 24 September 1943, for units in the field. On some US Navy aircraft in the Pacific the blue outline was lighter than the insignia blue.

Colors: Insignia Blue No.47, Insignia White No.46

🤯

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Specification Number AN-1-9b

Dates in Service: August 14th, 1943 to January 14th, 1947

The Insignia Red outline was replaced with an Insignia Blue outline through the amendment of Army-Navy aeronautical specification AN-I-9 on 14 August 1943. This was followed by an amendment to Technical Order 07-1-1, issued on 24 September 1943, for units in the field. On some US Navy aircraft in the Pacific the blue outline was lighter than the insignia blue.

Colors: Insignia Blue No.47, Insignia White No.46

🤯

I knew that but didn't have the Tech order or actual paper number though. 

• Like 1

A quick note on AN-I-9b...

For years most of us accepted that the switch from the red border to the blue began on 14 August, the date on AN-I-9b's cover sheet.  It turns out the change began in mid-September, when AN-I-9b was actually issued.  More recent discoveries show that the spec was still being written in early September, and was finally ready for review around the 12th.

I've no idea why the spec was released with an earlier date of issue, and some units were certainly applying blue over the red before the spec came out, but most factories and depots were still expected to release aircraft with the red surround in mid-September (and beyond for organizations that had purchased red-bordered decals!)

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

@Corsairfoxfouruncle I will  try to bring this over the line, but there has been a  minor mishap that has caused  the model to be repainted from scratch,thats why I've  been reluctant to pick it back up,  a stray plastic pot of decal water somehow found its way onto the corsair,and soaked through to the hairspray layer,when i found it  a day or two later, the paintwork was a mess, (a bit more than my interpretation) admittedly it was  about three weeks ago but  it went straight to back of the queue,(shelf) last weekend i had a bash at it, I've  completely missed out the silver and chromate chipping stage and moved straight into an armour type pre shade for speed ,the plan is to give it a very thinned top, and bottom coat freehand  ,and hopefully we'll be close ,

Bare in mind this obviously isn't the finished paint, just my attempt at getting  near to an acceptable finish with a bit less time 

Fingers crossed

VAFsKUM.jpg

r6dgrOM.jpg

jhZoNOb.jpg

A7aUw1r.jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I will  try to bring this over the line, but there has been a  minor mishap that has caused  the model to be repainted from scratch,thats why I've  been reluctant to pick it back up,

Finishing is great but not what's most important. In the end you have to be happy with it and enjoy the work also. She looks good and as long as its good for you thats fine. These planes were new and old and everywhere in between as far as color fading/weathering. 

• Like 3

Cowling and engine on, and  Decals underway

qaXmc0Y.jpg

oEK6VDV.jpg

IqzKEmj.jpg

Can any one tell me if its  an outer colour where the flaps attatch or do they need to be in a primer colour, thanks in advance

• Like 6

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

She looks fantastic Glynn, the decals look like they have gone on really nicely and I like the blue surround to them.

As for the flaps I believe that they are in the outer colours, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers craig  i appreciate it  mate , the area behind the flaps look to be upper colour i agree, but i have  no clear image available , the decals are incredibly thin and resiliant ,but my advice would be to keep them completely flat when immersing them in water , the natural curle of the backing paper when wet will split them,it only happend on the first upper wing decal ,but i quickly realisided what happened ,and then got a shallow water pot to hold them straight while immersed , that worked fine, I've done a bit more today and I'll  be ready for the weathering this week i reckon

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John Laidlaw said:

That is a great save and some seriously good paint there.

Thank you john, admittedly its not everyone's cup of tea, and theres a bit more to do yet 👍

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Glynn, she really does look fantastic.

A really well used and grimy looking aircraft.

Cheers craig ,whether it captures anything like a pacific corsair is  a bit of a grey zone for me  ,i do tend to lose the plot with colour accuracy occasionally 🙄

• Like 1