1/48 blacksheep birdcage

Hewy

I'll  be building the tamiya birdcage corsair in 1/48 scale, I'll  be using eduard masks and  a techmod decal sheet one of the offerings on the sheet is white 93 a blacksheep aircraft  of vmf 214 from 1943 a picture below   

czOcDK9.jpg

XlolzlQ.jpg             

Parts ready for the build

FRzKLbx.jpg

Some paint

qpVUZk0.jpg

Cockpit built oob, foil seat belts, and the ip decal on, that shattered into around 5 pieces, I'll  have the canopy closed so i felt it unnecessary to use ane pe,

YIyLxXN.jpg

Engine built up ,painted and dry brused, a bit of a wash and it'll do

IAbkSRf.jpg

Fuselage together and the main wing section in place

dDL16ti.jpg

Canopy on and masks stuck down

80ZanFP.jpg

It went together flawlessly to this point as you woul expect of these tamiya kits ,no filler at all, this is where i am at present, now I'm  a bit stuck on the paint colour, below are a couple of colour photos of birdcage corsairs that look like different colours but seem to be the two tone type of camo @Troy Smith and @Corsairfoxfouruncle have already helped out with a question concerning colours in the chat section, 

Is this the colour and style of camo of white 93?

1utNi2d.jpg

Is this darker blue one just a less weathered version of above, this is the type of roundel on white 93

wLBV1VB.jpg

One more

VDlmWwB.jpg

A little confused,

Are they all the same colour but at different stages of weathering? Or are they different camo types/colours? Cheers all any extra help would be greatly appreciated 

Glynn

• Like 3

This is going to be great Glynn, and has gone together really well already with some very nice work on the cockpit and interior.

I think Dennis is right about the scheme and she is in fact the top aircraft from the picture he has posted with the marking surround repainted in a fresh coat of intermediate blue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Glynn,

Dennis and Minion are on the money about the camouflage scheme.

One other note - #93 had the rear vision tunnel windows replaced with sheet metal.  You might prefer to camouflage your model without the masks on those windows.

Looks like a good build!

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

One other note - #93 had the rear vision tunnel windows replaced with sheet metal

Great spot dana, thanks for that,I'll  remove the masks

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

the marking surround repainted in a fresh coat of intermediate blue.

Cheers craig, yes it looks like thetop of the fuselage in front of the screen has had the same treatment 

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

fact now that I look at it I think thats your plane ?

Yes thats the one , dennis thank you very much

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 11:48 PM, Hewy said:

Is this the colour and style of camo of white 93?

1utNi2d.jpg

Is this darker blue one just a less weathered version of above, this is the type of roundel on white 93

wLBV1VB.jpg

One more

VDlmWwB.jpg

A little confused,

Are they all the same colour but at different stages of weathering? Or are they different camo types/colours? Cheers all any extra help would be greatly appreciated 

First off my humble Apologies I glossed over this question. The 1st and 3rd aircraft wear the earlier light grey under blue grey camouflage worn from pre war to early 1943. The middle scheme is the 3/4 color camouflage of non spec white, intermediate blue, non-spec sea blue/gloss sea blue. That was worn from mid spring of 1943 to very late 1944 early 1945 when the USN Pacific scheme switched to overall gloss sea blue. As an aside thought Ive never seen a photo of a corsair in the Atlantic 3/2 scheme. The scheme consisted either of Non spec white under lt.gull grey/dark gull grey in its early form. Or white/lt.gull grey in its later simplified form. Now that I would love to see as its one of my favorite schemes. 

Dennis

Edit: I wonder if 93 wasn't a repaint in the field changing the upper color and adding intermediate blue in between ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Thought  I pressed the  "SUBMIT REPLY" box ,

my tinternet is awfull atm ,

Ok I've  had a bash at the beginnings of a weathered up blacksheep corsair, I first painted a very light coat of ak aluminium,then  hairspray, then a very light,should have been a little heavier in hind sight coat of zinc chromate color then light hairspray then tamiya's suggested mix of   3 ,xf8 , to   1part xf2,   i though it looked a bit dark so i gradually added white in patches  and set about adding water and a stippled brush this is the result , needs some bits going over again and some rubbing back in areas, its a start on the top colour at least in patches it has promise,  in others its a bit loud

L9mAqcU.jpg

Tamiyas top  mix ,still the bottom to do after I've  fettled this

mmUa5Sb.jpg

Some lightened patches and after scratching about a bit

cRpZu5u.jpg

Df1qB6N.jpg

Cheers all

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Dansk said:

looks really good

Paul you're far  too kind , i reckon this paint job is going to be a marathon ,but  i do  have a plan (Said that before) ,but its going to be on the hoof from here on in 👍,cheers pal

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

look like a well used aircraf

😁I'm   sure  it'll  turn out that way craig , even if i wanted it to or not, you know they take on  a life of they're own after the first coat of paint, thanks  pal

• Like 1

That top coat is looking incredible Glynn - wonderful stuff.

May I suggest just a little more chipping near the wing root, as shown in your reference pic below?

On 6/21/2020 at 9:48 PM, Hewy said:

VDlmWwB.jpg

I think that area saw a lot of traffic from maintainers - in fact, there's someone standing right there in your first reference pic.

Something else I've noticed while staring at pics for this STGB is that the 'ring' just behind the cowl flaps is often a lighter color - I don't know if this is heat discoloration or what. Perhaps @Dana Bell knows.

I tried to capture it on my last build, but failed.

Either way, your results are stunning.

8 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Something else I've noticed while staring at pics for this STGB is that the 'ring' just behind the cowl flaps is often a lighter color - I don't know if this is heat discoloration or what.

I think its mostly oil, grime, and some heat discoloring. But as you say Dana would probably be the man to answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I think that area saw a lot of traffic from maintainers - in fact, there's someone standing right there in your first reference pic.

Your suggestion will be taken on board, well spotterd cookie

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 09:59, modelling minion said:

he has posted with the marking surround repainted in a fresh coat of intermediate blue.

Please forgive me if i come across as daft,  but isnt it a lighter colour  painted around the insignia markings on the fuselage sides, more akin to the lower camo colour ?, my head is starting to spin,

So far 

RXp65Xv.jpg

The tech mod decals have a darker area already on them but the back and white photo of the actual aircraft surely suggests its a lighter colour (lower colour - non specular light grey maybe ?) 

czOcDK9.jpg

OAhx5DJ.jpg

The techmod sheet, and guide

tQoowx7.jpg

• Like 2

I think that Techmod have got it wrong Glynn, the colour surrounding the national markings should be lighter and, as you suggest, most likely the under surface colour or if not that a lighter version of the upper surface colour.

Your model really is looking great though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

think that Techmod have got it wrong Glynn, the colour surrounding the national markings should be lighter and, as you suggest, most likely the under surface colour or if not that a lighter version of the upper surface colour.

Your model really is looking great though.

Cheers Craig i thought so, although they give a list of references(techmod) , the bw photo looks to me like its the lower colour around the fuselage insignia , so a bit of masking is in order, I've  been pecking away at it tonight this is where i am atm ,(must finish this i have a bristol  sycamore that is looking at me with a beady eye, its not shake and bake either)

@Corsairfoxfouruncle do you think the demarcation line is a bit high?

xj3W0j4.jpg

nzt2IlK.jpg

nhMO6Kf.jpg@Cookenbacher   the top pic, shows a little lighter front that would be behind the cowling, and I've done a bit more wear and tear where you pointed out,  I'm  expecting the matt coat will lighten and blend this in even more,

Cheers all 

• Like 4

I don'y think the demarcation line is too high but it is very difficult to tell from the picture and once you've added all that spatted up sand/coral to the fuselage you won't be able to see a bloody thing anyway!

Sycamore you say? A certain new 1/48 kit that you rescued from Mike's shelves before the lockdown?

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

its not shake and bake either)

@Corsairfoxfouruncle do you think the demarcation line is a bit high?

So I revisited the B&W photo in your first post. 
6jXcyYr.jpg

I then highlighted what I'm seeing. 

aEuSrKI.jpg

Now I'm seeing three colors, The blue-grey over grey as shown with the blue line. The red line is a third color and it is distinctly different from the other two ? Id say its either an Intermediate blue or red surround to the star & bar. If you look at the unaltered photo its darker than the lower grey yet visible against the upper blue-grey. This is why I think its a 3rd color. As for the demarcation no a smidge but after you throw the coral dust mud up it wont be all that visible anyway. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle