“Irene!” Task Force 160 in Somalia - now with Photos!!

As I can clearly see you lot still have nothing better to do than hang around and make the place look untidy! :tease:

Am slowly getting my new dungeon setup......gosh the room keeps getting smaller with each new addition.

Have photos but no internet for at least another week! :crying: have to make do with phone for now.

Due to time commitments will now be building the “Littlebird” instead of the Blackhawk, as I just realized the Vietnam GB is right around the corner! So you lot best make yourself useful and start getting your builds ready for that one.......there’s no excuse for not showing up!!!!!!  :fight:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Due to time commitments will now be building the “Littlebird” instead of the Blackhawk, as I just realized the Vietnam GB is right around the corner! So you lot best make yourself useful and start getting your builds ready for that one.......there’s no excuse for not showing up!!!!!!  :fight:

I'm out of bench space.....such a shame.  :whistle:

• Haha 1

for any that are interested (or care...) I have actually made a start on this/these builds!!!!  :yahoo:

I'll post an update and some photos tonight.......gotta finish cleaning out the old place plus I have my IPMS club meet today..first for 5 months!

one thing I will say the model/models aren't that great, quite a lot of flash to remove as well as heaps of partial mould plugs, and general fit is a bit dodgy.

The 2 schemes will be ill fated MH-60L "Super 64" and AH-6J Gunship "Barber 1".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

This is a build thread? I thought it was where all the kool kids hung out, drinking shandy’s, smoking tabs and generally being annoying. 

And of course, wanting to hook up with someone - lots of girls expected: Irene, Lucy... and Elvis and a Bull! 

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

This is a build thread? I thought it was where all the kool kids hung out, drinking shandy’s, smoking tabs and generally being annoying. 

Not yet it isn't as he still hasn't built anything :rolleyes: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Not yet it isn't as he still hasn't built anything :rolleyes:

No he hasn't has he, and if I remember correctly........

On 7/24/2020 at 10:57 PM, trickyrich said:

I'll post an update and some photos tonight......

That was a week ago, didn't realise how long nights were down under!

• Haha 1

Ok I thought I’d better update this before the “comedians” get completely out of control…….. though it’s probably too late for that!!! :doh:

I had planned to do this last week but I’ve just been soo busy unpacking (still have 10 large boxes of models to unpack!) and trying to make space in the garage, setup up a new spray booth plus go to work……god I need a break!

Ok the build….first up…..unless you really need/want a 1/35th Blackhawk, then don’t buy this model! It looks all nice a such in the box, but boy it makes you work trying to build it It’s a young/new model but already there’s small bits of flash all over the place and on most bits. Then there’s all the injection point stubs!!!! Dear god I’ve never seen anything like this of a model before….as in the sheer numbers of them. Pieces just don’t go together without a lot of cleaning up. For someone new to modelling this model would almost turn them off models forever!

IMG_4594-L.jpg

IMG_4595-L.jpg

Ok in no particular order (like the way I build models….) here’s where I’m at…

…..the engine pack is built up separately before being added towards the end. I don’t know why they insist in supplying engines they can’t be seen and if you want to display them then they need lots of detailing to look right….and I can’t be bothered!

IMG_4597-L.jpg

The interior is also built up as a module, they supply lots of seats but really don’t give you details of all the different seating config’s there are. For the version I’m doing the side gunners/crew chiefs seat actually face outwards and not towards the rear. So I have to do some changes here and add some new bits to the roof.

IMG_4602-L.jpg

IMG_4601-L.jpg

IMG_4600-L.jpg

IMG_4599-L.jpg

…..and now the wheels! The version shown on the box and the one I’m building don’t have the covers on the undercarriage legs or the DAP kit (stub wings). The kit however supplies both of these and the instructions and painting instructions only show these fitted. The covers which replace the stub wings (top of photo) were in a separate wee bag…….a bit of a last minute afterthought I think!!!

IMG_4598-L.jpg

Anyway….. she’s a big bird, bigger that I expected, not quite as big as the Hind!!

IMG_4603-L.jpg

Ok this is the bird I’m building, the ill-fated “Super 64”. I need to do a but of modifying here and there to get the model to suit but luckily I’ve where a couple of experts have go into great detail on the choppers used in this mission, which will be a huge help! Notice the paint instructions show the wrong configured bird!

IMG_4592-L.jpg

I have started the “Littlebird” but am still waiting on a couple of items needed for it. I’ll be done as one of the Gunships, “Barber 51” which was also used on the mission. I’ll do this build as part of this one.

IMG_4593-L.jpg

The new work bench is nearly setup, still have some fine tuning to do.

IMG_4604-L.jpg

I promised myself today I would finally spend some time on the modelling bench, and may actually be able to start some painting on this one as well!

Plus just for @Col.….the “Mythical Draken”!  :tease:

IMG_4588-L.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Great to see your build underway (finally) Rich.

Those ejector pins are really bad for a new tooled kit as is the amount of flash you say there is, doesn't bode well for any future releases of the beast. The interior looks to be nicely detailed and I'm sure it will look even better when you add the inevitable etched brass that you no doubt have in your stash.

And the Kraken sorry, Draken lives! Will she be making an appearance in Ragnar's revenge?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're pretty bad, plus there are ejection sink marks in all the wrong places as well!. I'm currently fighting with the shrouds that go over the outside of the intakes they don't fit and are too small! :wall: At least a Gin & Tonic is helping the pain! :D

Not sure about the Draken...I had hoped to score one of those JETMads 1/32nd Viggens, but missed out! .... I may build a wee tank. Will just have too see what grabs me.

• Like 1

Just a quick update on what’s going on with this beast.

I am half tempted to change her name from “Blackhawk” to “Craphawk!”, this is not an easy build at all!

I’ve spent a lot of time so far on trying to sort out the engine/rotor section. Fit again is quite poor and vague and everything needs careful adjustment to avoid gaps! Even though the engine bay will be closed up, both engines need to be fitted to help align everything. Trying to fit the transfer cases to the front of each engine was a nightmare and it looks like I’ll have the grind some of them away to fit the covers!

IMG_4611-L.jpg

The worse part is the instruction tell you this all this needs to be assembled before it’s attached to the fuselage. You could do this all later but then you risk breaking bit of the fuselage!

IMG_4612-L.jpg

The rotor assembly like the rest of the model was quite vague in the way it went together….I can se some horror results if not done right! Being basically a OOB build I won’t go into too much detailing other than what’s require to build this specific aircraft.

IMG_4610-L.jpg

Those 2 wee white pins at the bottom of the assembly are there to help align the transfer cases…..good luck doing that without these pins!!

It’s starting to look like the top of a Blackhawk….there’s still quite a lot to do here (which I have since these were taken.

IMG_4613-L.jpg

I’ve now moved into the cabin as well, made new mounts for the crew chief/door gunners seats, changed from facing backwards to facing outwards as they should. They’re the only 2 seats in the main cabin, the rest weren’t fitted. I do though have to make the life raft bag that was fitted inbetween these seats….I have no idea what that looked like. Plus I’ve read there was bulletproof matting on the floor as well, again not sure what that looks like!

I'm trying to do as much as I can before I start painting, as the garage where my new spray booth is still looks like a bomb has hit it!

Oh, I have mentioned many times is my fear/dread of models that require rigging…..so for the life of me I don’t know why I bought this!!!!!! :yikes:

IMG_4609-L.jpg

• Like 7

my biggest worry with this build is that the Vietnam one starts in 2 weeks, and I may have to drop the Skyraider build which would be huge for a Skymaster, so I can complete this one. But that would be a shame......will have to see how things go....

.....and the poor wee "Littlebird", well it looks like it'll now have to wait. The parts I ordered still haven't showed up and may have gone missing, so I may have to re-order them again.

Oh and I had a good look at the Gotha, she has a 85cm (34" for those still in the dark ages) wing span........gonna need a bigger bench!!! :D

I hope you get this build finished. I know you’ve found a few small issues but it looks like a work of art.

And never mind a spray booth, it sounds like you’re going to need all your garage to park the Gotha!

• Like 1

A wee bit more progress on her plus I’ve finally started painting as well.

First up the tail elevator (?), it’s made up of 4 pieces and like everything else on this model it doesn’t quite want to go together properly. The 2 outer main sections glue to the centre 2 which have hinge pins in them. I had to make a jig up using bulldog clip to try and keep it aligned what the glue dried!

IMG_4618-L.jpg

I have been lucky enough to come across someone else who is/has done the same build who seems to have lots of good information. So I’ll be using his build as a reference along with all the other stuff I’ve managed to dig up.

Ok the main cabin, the roof section, you can see the “h” bracket I had to make up for the repositions crew chief/door gunners’ position. Strangely, there were holes in this position that look like they may have been there for a bracket like this……why HK didn’t supply it???? Plus for some reason they also left part of the roof exposed, all the aircraft used in Gothic Serpent had their roof panels fitted.

IMG_4616-L.jpg

Next up the floor in the main cabin and around the flight crews seat had armoured matting fitted. In the main cabin the matt had holes in it to access cargo rings. Not sure if all were exposed or not. ....... but his took forever to do!!! 

IMG_4615-L.jpg

The matts around the flight crew were a little easier to do. Oh and I had to put plugs into the holes the rudder pedals go into because they were way to big!!

IMG_4614-L.jpg

Right some painting…….the basic painting is done, now I can spend the next few days detailing!  

IMG_4620-L.jpg

IMG_4621-L.jpg

There will be a bit of masking required on the roof and all the fitted panels are Olive Green while the rest of the framework is Interior Grey…………and not all Black as HK would have you paint it!

IMG_4622-L.jpg

The interior is one whole module which getting it to fit in the fuselage will be interesting!

IMG_4619-L.jpg

At least you’ll be able to see more of the interior with her compared to the Hind. The “Fast Rope” brackets were extended on her with ropes attached, plus the cabin didn’t have any seats fitted, and the pilot’s doors were removed.

IMG_4617-L.jpg

I have been reading up on this bird, according to Michael Durant’s’ book, the Crew Chief SSGT Tommie Fields keep this bird really clean, tires Armor All’d, windscreen always clean and there wasn’t a spot of oil on her, just a bit dusty everywhere like everything else.

• Like 12

G'day Rich,

Good to see some plastic being worked, it must be nice to get back to the bench.

The build you are referencing, would that be Heavy Arty's build over at ARC?

cheers,

Pappy