“Irene!” Task Force 160 in Somalia - now with Photos!!

ok she's completed!!!!  :phew:

Not too much to add at the moment.....my feelings for this model are pretty well known! :D

Just some teaser photos.........

IMG_4852-M.jpg

IMG_4853-M.jpg

IMG_4854-M.jpg

IMG_4855-M.jpg

IMG_4856-M.jpg

..........I actually haven't got anywhere setup to take photos yet! Will sort something out over the next few days an post some proper ones here, in gallery and RFI....... now going to have a wee private moment with my F-16I 😊 before getting back to the Skyraider and Tornado! :yahoo:

• Like 17

Well I have to say that your Blackhawk looks absolutely fantastic Rich.

I know how much she has fought you along the way and the many issues you have had to correct and overcome and how close this has come to being put on the shelf of shame but I think that it has been worth all the effort.

The dusty and very well used look has been captured perfectly and the miniguns and rope and other extras have really added to the look of the model.

Really well done mate.👍

• Thanks 1

thanks...

stepping back from the actual building stage I am starting to appreciate her more, the look is pretty much what I had hoped for. I would love to build another one in the Blackhawk series but don't know if I want yo go through all that again....quite sad actually!

I didn't realise either just how big these choppers are, the Hind is big, this one nearly! Will take a photo of the pair together.

• Like 1

I only had the problem with the these paints on this model........on every other one it's gone of perfectly no matter how heavy the coat. 

I have a feeling it was the plastic used on this model. The weird patterns I got seemed to follow the plastic path from the injection points, plus in some places it looked almost like the paint started to attack the plastic! But in the end i was able to cover it nicely.....plus it sort of helped with the finish I was after.

I still think it's the best paint I've ever used.

actually I have a KH Mirage V that the paint went funny with too now I think about it, not as bad as this one. But on that one I used good old tamiya acrylics, which are generally bulletproof and I got a slightly weird finish on that one as well!

ok some photos......my new "studio" (workbench!) needs some work...will get to it one day.

These are the photos that didn't make the Gallery and RFI section, they are the crappy ones :D  ....unless I stuffed that up as well!

IMG_4901-XL.jpg

IMG_4902-XL.jpg

IMG_4903-XL.jpg

IMG_4905-XL.jpg

IMG_4907-XL.jpg

IMG_4911-XL.jpg

IMG_4914-XL.jpg

IMG_4918-XL.jpg

plus a couple for the Hind......... I didn't realize how big these Blackhawks were!

IMG_4946-XL.jpg

IMG_4948-XL.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2020 at 3:54 PM, trickyrich said:

plus a couple for the Hind......... I didn't realize how big these Blackhawks were!

Long time since I have posted anything on the site, but once again, you have shocked me with your model building prowess. With all the problems, this bird came out beautiful!

As for the size, the first time I got a ride in one, I was absolutely floored at how huge it was. The interior was configured to carry litters in stacks and there was still room to move about. When we took off, the pilot dropped the nose and quickly hit top cruising speed while flying just above treetop level at night in full black out conditions. Needless to say, it was the ride of a lifetime!

As for your concerns about missing the exact recreation of the Super 64, I can also tell you from experience in the military, most of us don't expect exact representations, your build is close enough and a fine example of the bird. After all, if we cared so much about accuracy, they never would have issued us M67 hand grenades 🤣

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Long time since I have posted anything on the site, but once again, you have shocked me with your model building prowess. With all the problems, this bird came out beautiful!

As for the size, the first time I got a ride in one, I was absolutely floored at how huge it was. The interior was configured to carry litters in stacks and there was still room to move about. When we took off, the pilot dropped the nose and quickly hit top cruising speed while flying just above treetop level at night in full black out conditions. Needless to say, it was the ride of a lifetime!

As for your concerns about missing the exact recreation of the Super 64, I can also tell you from experience in the military, most of us don't expect exact representations, your build is close enough and a fine example of the bird. After all, if we cared so much about accuracy, they never would have issued us M67 hand grenades 🤣

Thanks for that...... I seemed to have forgotten about how bad she was to build and would almost like to do it again. Actually now have the SH-60R to build..... plus also want a HH-60, guess I'm a sucker for punishment.

Others must have though she looked right as well, as she too out 1st place in her class for our end of year comp.