“Irene!” Task Force 160 in Somalia - now with Photos!!

For the moment this is a bit of a place marker as I am shortly moving home to a brand-new place so it maybe sometime before I can actually start this one……that’s if I remember where I packed it!!! :doh:

By the title you will know this will be one of the Mogadishu chopper, in this case one of the Blackhawks. Though at the moment I haven’t decided if it’ll be one of the “Super” birds used in the actual raid or one of the later birds fitted with extra weapons. I’m sort of leading at the moment towards the later.

I’m really not sure which came first here, wanting the model or the decals but it was a case I just had to have both.

The model is Kittyhawk’s lovely 1/35th MH-60L, unfortunately this one isn’t the one that comes with the extra figures. But I don't see how they would have fitted inside the box anyway, its absolutely packed with plastic loveliness!! :wub:

IMG_3988-L.jpg

IMG_3989-L.jpg

But I won’t complain considering how cheap it was!!! I can see myself buying another one of these, maybe a MH-60R “Seahawk” or MH-60S “Knighthawk” when they are released.

The decals are from Werner’s Wings and cover all the birds used in this operation including decals for the AH/MH-6J “Littlebirds”. Something like 21 different choppers plus extras for ones used after the deployment. They are beautiful decals and really comprehensive and unfortunately no longer available. Sorry no more photos as they're packed away, the ones above I took some time back, but I've posted a link to the review on them.

Decal review

It’ll be very much an OOB build…though Eduard do do some nice PE bits for her! The painting should be interesting as they were black all over (well closer to a very black green), so if I don’t want it to appear solid black…….this will be fun! 

If for some reason I do become time constrained I have a backup plan which is Kittyhawk’s 1/35th AH/MH-6J “Littlebird”, this one does have the extra figures but I’ll be doing one of the MH-6 gunships! :D

• Like 21

Great choice mate

Not a kit I'm familiar with but in 1/35 it should be stunning. An all black aircraft is always a challenge.

There was an SR-71 Blackbird build on here some time ago where the builder had achieved wonders in differences of shade etc, so would be worth a look.

Good luck with both the house move and build

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Nice choice Rich, hopefully you will get time to build it. 

Good news for the rest of us is your moving so we get some piece and quiet to build ours :rofl:

@JOCKNEY isn’t this Rich’s famous “It’s my fault” GB, I have the t-shirts printed ready to go :rofl:

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Gone for another quick and simple small, unassuming build then Rich. :) 

despite the sheer number of bits it's actually going to be a nice simple build not requiring the usual mods I end up doing!! 

That said I've been buying up bits for my Littlebird from Werner's Wings just incase I need to go to play B! :D

13 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Good news for the rest of us is your moving so we get some piece and quiet to build ours :rofl:

@JOCKNEY isn’t this Rich’s famous “It’s my fault” GB, I have the t-shirts printed ready to go :rofl:

....you wish!!!!  I'll have plenty of time to still skulk about the place dishing out my little pearls wisdom! :tease:

...and hey I want royalties from those t-shirts as well! :D

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice mate

Not a kit I'm familiar with but in 1/35 it should be stunning. An all black aircraft is always a challenge.

There was an SR-71 Blackbird build on here some time ago where the builder had achieved wonders in differences of shade etc, so would be worth a look.

Good luck with both the house move and build

Cheers Pat

yeah the colour is going to be the challenge, it's not a pure black as I've read it has a slight greenish tint to it, so something along the lines of NATO Black or Rubber Black in Tamiya or Nightfighter Black from MRP may be the way to go. I may end up giving her a undercoat of white with plain black pre-shading, then slowly build up the main colour to try and break up really flat colour.

It'll be interesting and fun and can't wait as I haven't done any work on models for over a month now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

anything to do with booze and i never forget!  :D

Anything to do with booze and I always forget! I lost 6hrs to wine in Italy. 

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2020 at 2:01 PM, modelling minion said:

Wot no resin!!!!!

I was thinking the same!

On 6/23/2020 at 11:56 PM, trickyrich said:

ok, maybe some new resin wheels then! :D

For starters... :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2020 at 2:48 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

You know, a "TR Made Me Do It GB" could be a thing......  There's probably enough of us here.  :blink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

thanks, still waiting to move so for now things are still on hold, but I plan to take some time off after the house move so hope to make a start on her then.

Have ordered some bits for the Littlebird just incase for a backup plan.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this. Was lucky enough to attend a course with one of the Delta guys, Gary Gordon, who was sadly killed in action trying to protect the crash site of SUPER SIX FOUR, alongside his oppo Randy Shughart. Both earned the highest gallantry award, Congressional Medal of Honour. He was older than most of us, attending a NATO ran Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) School course in Bavaria, Germany in 1992, just before he deployed with TF Ranger. He was a lovely guy, great soldier who was happy to share his experience to us younger guys.

We then trained with 160 SOAR in the UK, rehearsing at RAF Brize Norton, onto Fakenham airfield. The exercise was to carry out a long range insertion, seize the airfield, bring in UK and USAF C130's, 2  containing MH-6 'Little Birds', that were removed, built in situ and then used to fly an extraction mission....something to do with a stolen dirty bomb and included UKSF, Delta, 160 SOAR, 7 Sqn and 47 Sqn RAF and 657 Sqn AAC. Target was Machrihanish airfield up in Western Scotland. Amazing exercise with real purpose. Probably the best non-operational thing i did in 26 years.

Anyway - I digress....having worked with these guys over the years, on Op Chrichton in Iraq and other paces, I can say the MH6 airframes, as noted above, although seem to be black, seem to have a green hue close up. Its like a NATO black/Charcoal with a hint of OD!

I tried varying the black tones on my SR71 build, seemed ok.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 2:14 AM, Tim Moff said:

Looking forward to this. Was lucky enough to attend a course with one of the Delta guys, Gary Gordon, who was sadly killed in action trying to protect the crash site of SUPER SIX FOUR, alongside his oppo Randy Shughart. Both earned the highest gallantry award, Congressional Medal of Honour. He was older than most of us, attending a NATO ran Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) School course in Bavaria, Germany in 1992, just before he deployed with TF Ranger. He was a lovely guy, great soldier who was happy to share his experience to us younger guys.

We then trained with 160 SOAR in the UK, rehearsing at RAF Brize Norton, onto Fakenham airfield. The exercise was to carry out a long range insertion, seize the airfield, bring in UK and USAF C130's, 2  containing MH-6 'Little Birds', that were removed, built in situ and then used to fly an extraction mission....something to do with a stolen dirty bomb and included UKSF, Delta, 160 SOAR, 7 Sqn and 47 Sqn RAF and 657 Sqn AAC. Target was Machrihanish airfield up in Western Scotland. Amazing exercise with real purpose. Probably the best non-operational thing i did in 26 years.

Anyway - I digress....having worked with these guys over the years, on Op Chrichton in Iraq and other paces, I can say the MH6 airframes, as noted above, although seem to be black, seem to have a green hue close up. Its like a NATO black/Charcoal with a hint of OD!

I tried varying the black tones on my SR71 build, seemed ok.

wow! I don't think many people could knowingly do what they did, it takes a special type of person it do that. I really do need to study up more on this.

Yeah that "black" is a special colour, the owner of Werner's Wings did a lot of research on the colour and talks about it in the notes with the decals (unfortunately they're packed away at the moment). I'll probably end up having to do a custom mix using MRP paints.

Fingers crossed settlement for our new place occurs today so I can start moving next week.......may even get to start this build the following week........if I can remember where I packed everything! :doh:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

wow! I don't think many people could knowingly do what they did, it takes a special type of person it do that. I really do need to study up more on this.

Yeah that "black" is a special colour, the owner of Werner's Wings did a lot of research on the colour and talks about it in the notes with the decals (unfortunately they're packed away at the moment). I'll probably end up having to do a custom mix using MRP paints.

Fingers crossed settlement for our new place occurs today so I can start moving next week.......may even get to start this build the following week........if I can remember where I packed everything! :doh:

The book is extremely well written and quite harrowing - the film does its job, with only a little bit of artistic licence as the main character is based on a few different soldiers. 

• Like 1

well completely off subject .....something I'm very good at! :D

The big move sort of starts today, we now have a huge new place with a huge mortgage to go with! :unsure:

My modelling dungeon will be replaced with a room which actually now has a window! :yikes:

Between now and moving day (Thursday) I'll start setting it up, first job new glass display shelves, 8 or 10.....not sure yet.

May even post progress photos! :D

• Like 3

I hope the new neighbours have been warned! The sight of @trickyrich in his modelling budgie smugglers through his new window :sick:

I have just given myself nightmares at half 5 in the afternoon :door:

Are the display shelves for the shelf queens? :whistle:

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Are the display shelves for the shelf queens? :whistle:

Oooh, thats harsh. True but harsh.

Maybe the windows will be one way? That way nobody will have to look at him polishing his "fuselage" whilst wearing his paint spattered Airfix (1/144 scale) budgie smugglers.🤮

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oooh, thats harsh. True but harsh.

Maybe the windows will be one way? That way nobody will have to look at him polishing his "fuselage" whilst wearing his paint spattered Airfix (1/144 scale) budgie smugglers.🤮

Knowing our very good friend Mr Rich, he will ignore the instructions, install the one way glass the wrong way and wonder why he has a mirror instead of a window. 

Isn't baby oil good for getting paint splatters off budgie smugglers?

If corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, what the dickens is baby oil made from?

• Like 1