Jump to content

Spanish Diesel Ten - Iberia’s ‘Costa Dorada’


Recommended Posts

After a long hiatus I’m back.
In fairness I started this model well over 12 months ago but due to a recurring loss of mojo, it kept returning to the shelf of doom for what seemed like an eternity!
When I did eventually go back to it in earnest I intended to finish it in the PIA delivery scheme, however this scheme proved to be particularly challenging! Unhappy with my efforts I ended up completely stripping the paint off it, not very successfully I may add.

I briefly toyed with an doing an Air Florida machine, but quickly moved onto something a little simpler as by this point I just wanted it finished.

Anyhow here is the eventual end result, Iberia’s second DC-10 - christened ‘Costa Dorada’ after the north eastern Catalonian costal region.

The decals are by 26 decals, with the Authentic Airliner Decals providing the flight deck and cabin windows. The obligatory Halfords Appliance white, and Racking grey were used straight out of the rattle can for the airframe. 

As a interesting footnote the real aircraft featured paintings by the Spanish surrealist artist Salvador Dali in the passenger cabin!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

  • Like 23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a great looking model.  There's no evidence at all of he paintwork problems you experienced as the finish looks perfect from where I'm sitting.

 

Thanks for sharing.

 

Chris.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome back.

 

Thanks for sharing your magnificent DC-10 which certainly doesn't show any sign of the issues you had. The Iberia red/orange/yellow stripes always looked better on a larger aircraft and the DC-10 really suits them.

 

We've had a great run of civil RFIs in the last couple of weeks and it's an interesting coincidence that you posted your DC-10 shortly after my Aviaco DC-8 which in real life had been displaced from the Iberia fleet by the arrival of the DC-10s!

 

All the best

 

Dave G

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite a nice build, and I'll join the chorus of welcoming you back! Love the Iberia livery. Did I miss something? Can't for the life of me tell which kit this is...and did you add any PE parts or details? Thanks for sharing...nice pics, too...the sunlight makes those Iberia stripes pop right out!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Superb build Sir. Is it OOB?

Hi Abandoned Project- yes it’s completely OOB, it’s the resin Authentic Airliners DC-10-30 with the earlier style GE CF6-50 engines.

 

Rgds-Nick

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Quite a nice build, and I'll join the chorus of welcoming you back! Love the Iberia livery. Did I miss something? Can't for the life of me tell which kit this is...and did you add any PE parts or details? Thanks for sharing...nice pics, too...the sunlight makes those Iberia stripes pop right out!! 

Hi Challenger350PILOT,

It’s the Authentic Airliners DC-10, the PE parts I used were the ones supplied with the model in the form of undercarriage parts and aerials-albeit I didn’t add the 3 nose mounted pitot tubes as they were minuscule in size and I have fat fingers😂

Rgds, Nick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Welcome back.

 

Thanks for sharing your magnificent DC-10 which certainly doesn't show any sign of the issues you had. The Iberia red/orange/yellow stripes always looked better on a larger aircraft and the DC-10 really suits them.

 

We've had a great run of civil RFIs in the last couple of weeks and it's an interesting coincidence that you posted your DC-10 shortly after my Aviaco DC-8 which in real life had been displaced from the Iberia fleet by the arrival of the DC-10s!

 

All the best

 

Dave G

Hi Dave

Yes it’s always good when we have a few civvies on posted in RFI-but they do seem to come along like buses😉

 To be honest it was seeing some of the great builds that have been posted on here that spurred me on to finish this old diesel10

Rgds, Nick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Nick,

Welcome back and what a return, a gorgeous model excellently finished and presented!

The AA DC10 is a lovely kit and considering its size is an easy build. Would've loved to have seen it in PIA colours but never mind. I know the feeling of having problems and stripping everything off to start again it happens all too often to me! If it happens again I can recommend Home Strip Paint and Varnish remover. Brilliant stuff and really easy to use. You can get it at B&Q.

Which paint did you use for the engine nacelles by the way?

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Nick,

Welcome back and what a return, a gorgeous model excellently finished and presented!

The AA DC10 is a lovely kit and considering its size is an easy build. Would've loved to have seen it in PIA colours but never mind. I know the feeling of having problems and stripping everything off to start again it happens all too often to me! If it happens again I can recommend Home Strip Paint and Varnish remover. Brilliant stuff and really easy to use. You can get it at B&Q.

Which paint did you use for the engine nacelles by the way?

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tip re the paint stripper, I’ll certainly keep an eye open for it. I used oven cleaner on this occasion which worked fine in the past on plastic kits, but clearly didn’t like resin!
For the engines I used Humbrol Chrome Silver (191) directly from the spray can. It’s really good stuff, is easy to apply, dries quickly, and is very forgiving. However the best bit is that it can be either left very bright or polished with cotton wool to what ever shade of aluminium you want-the more you polish it, the darker it goes. I also used it for the leading and trailing edges on the DC-10’s wings. I also like the fact that when it is sealed with varnish it looses none of its shine.

Looking forward to seeing your next build.

Rgds, Nick.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...