Im looking for information on Black RAF pilots during the war.

7 hours ago, TAG said:

Here's a photo of the aforementioned Jim Hyde and Dingo, hard to tell what mark of Spitfire that is, though.

spacer.png

Looks like a mid-late Mk.IX The chin intake appears to be longer than an earlier Mark.

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Looks like a Mk.IX.  The later windscreen plus the large Aerovee filter under the nose.   That would also be right for 1944.

Thanks Graham thats what I thought as well. 

2 hours ago, JWM said:

A little OT, but not very far indeed. I hope it can be interesting for all who like to know WW2 history in all details. Imagine, that there was a black... Polish soldier in Warsaw Uprising in 1944!  His name was August Agbola O'Browne

In civil life before it he was a Nigerian origing jazz musician playing in clubs of Warsaw...

More info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Agbola_O'Browne :)

Regards

J-W

Now that is something interesting I never knew, thanks for sharing it.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 5:38 PM, TAG said:

Here's a photo of the aforementioned Jim Hyde and Dingo, hard to tell what mark of Spitfire that is, though.

spacer.png

Coloring photo from Marina Amaral:

w1240ybfzi651.jpg?width=640&height=455&c

(When I'm watched this collection coloring photo: 

https://colonelcassad.livejournal.com/5975361.html

remember  about this topic)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

What shade of OD is that Spitfire?

Wrong?! 😁

But what You want from this lady?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Amaral

I think she pays more attention to the

colorization

faces in the photo, in addition Amaral is advised during colorization by medieval historian Dan Jones, therefore, in this case, questions must still be asked by a consultant historian and not by an artist.

B.R.

Serge

5 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

What I want is for her (and everyone else who colours photographs) to put a stamp on them saying "This is an artificially coloured photograph".

Almost agree.

I immediately wrote about this:

22 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Coloring photo from Marina Amaral:

But when I wrote, I really doubted the correctness of the definition "Coloring"...."colorization"? "Colorization", is there such a word in English?  It seemed to me that this was newspeak ....in general, with this interpenetration of cultures, I suspect that if someone reads (for example) Russian model forums through a Google translator, he encounters a lot of delusional translation, because many model terms taken from English are Russified, acquiring a local flavor that is not available for automatic translation.🤔  This is neither good nor bad, it's just life.

🤗

In any case, attempts to make history color should not be taken badly, because they stimulate interest in history for modern generations who are used to seeing the world in bright colors thanks to modern technology and do not perceive black and white well.

In addition, as far as I know, Marina adjusts her work if she is reasonably pointed to a discrepancy.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

In any case, attempts to make history color should not be taken badly, because they stimulate interest in history for modern generations who are used to seeing the world in bright colors thanks to modern technology and do not perceive black and white well.

In addition, as far as I know, Marina adjusts her work if she is reasonably pointed to a discrepancy.

Thats fine and very agreeable Serge, and you did exactly what everyone should do but doesn't. You posted the original photo so that the whole forum/world knows its original B&W form. Too many take colored photo’s as gospel and argue that lime green is RAF Dk. Green. Admittedly I'm guilty of having made that mistake in the past before finding the original B&W to show me. I try to be vigilant but don't always catch some colored examples in my files or when I post here.   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Aardvark said:

"Colorization", is there such a word in English?

Colorization (in US English) or colourisation (most of the rest of the world) seem to be the accepted words in the English language for digitally transforming a monochrome photograph into a coloured one.

I have seen "hand-colouring" used for actually painting over a photograph and "chromograph" used as a descriptor for such a work.

On a lighter note, I now have a reference picture for painting my Spitfire in Olive Drab!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JosephLalor said:

The photo of Joseph Hyde with the CO's dog was taken at Detling in 1944.  The Squadron was No 132 and was on Spitfire IXBs in March of that year.

Now who makes a 1/72 IXb kit ? KP/AZ, Italeri, can an eduard IXc early be brought back to “B” standard ? The codes for 132 are FF* correct ? Thats what my little bit of searching shows at least. If so then I think my first build will be along these lines, dedicated to Joseph Hyde and a Tuskegee pilot yet to be chosen when I do the side by side builds in August. 

Dennis

On 6/22/2020 at 2:55 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks those help quite a bit a Beaufighter and Spitfire Vb also sound good. 

If you decide to build Bundy's Beaufighter, you should check out @Terry @ Aviaeology article as well.  I wrote the Black Buffalo article linked above, which was about Mr. Bundy's life, but Terry really expand it with regards to his ops in Beaufighters and Mosquitos.  Link is below.

Buffalo Soldier

Jim

Edited by airjiml2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now who makes a 1/72 IXb kit ? KP/AZ, Italeri, can an eduard IXc early be brought back to “B” standard ? The codes for 132 are FF* correct ? Thats what my little bit of searching shows at least. If so then I think my first build will be along these lines, dedicated to Joseph Hyde and a Tuskegee pilot yet to be chosen when I do the side by side builds in August. 

Dennis

FF is correct for 132's squadron code.  I don't rightly know what would have to be done with existing kits to get a IXB.  As far as I know that designation came from the cropped supercharger impeller and not the wing/armament arrangement, but don't quote me on that.

• Thanks 1