Abandoned (My first helicopter)

Not build one yet. Picked up the Revell chinook for this forgetting I’ve had an Airfix Sea king in the stash for ages so I’ll have to pick, leaning towards the chinook though I’ve got a while to decide, btw any chinook experts watching care to enlighten me about the different variants, would like to know if I can do Bravo November as a HC1 from this kit 

50031366087_2083d3691c_c.jpg

50030567988_f548cf61e4_c.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 10

Cant beat a big Wokka Stu the Chinook is a mighty lifter been in one but only on the ground I was lucky to fly in the Puma though,I have Airfix's Sea King

for this one too.

20 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Cant beat a big Wokka Stu the Chinook is a mighty lifter been in one but only on the ground I was lucky to fly in the Puma though,I have Airfix's Sea King

for this one too.

Indeed, kidding myself I might pick the seaking over the wokka, such a familiar sight and sound  in the sky here I can’t not build it  

• Like 2

@PhantomBigStu, if not worried about accuracy then just stick the BN decals on. 

If you are then you can’t make a HC1 from this kit. The saddle tanks on either side are much larger and the nose is the wrong shape. 

If you make the RAF version of this kit, be careful, the RAF doesn’t have the refuelling probe, the two boxes above the cockpit and lots of the other bumps on the fuse are only for the US machine. Check photos for references, I will have a look through mine and see if I have any from when I roadmoved these beasts. 

HTH

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 11:24 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

@PhantomBigStu, if not worried about accuracy then just stick the BN decals on. 

If you are then you can’t make a HC1 from this kit. The saddle tanks on either side are much larger and the nose is the wrong shape.

Not strictly correct - the sponsons as integrally moulded are the right size for an HC.1; they have to be cut off to be replaced by the larger ones for the HC.3...

....but yes, the nose glazing features the radar so is no good for an HC.1, and yes, the instructions would have you use parts not applicable to the RAF version...

• Like 1

If you are to do a Chinook HC1 you would also require a different leading edge to the aft pylon. On the HC1 there is no opening for the Combining XMSN cooling fans, it is a solid fronted panel.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:44 PM, klr said:

The Chinook is the Italeri kit, I do believe. Revell has re-boxed quite a few Italeri choppers over the years.

This is correct, although there may be some subtle differences in tooling  (mainly added detail parts) between various releases by both manufacturers.

(Note Scalemates doesn't list the Revell boxings under the Italeri kit's history, but you can see from the sprue layouts they are the same kit).

Nice subjects Stu and glad to see you're favouring the S#!thook. Have fond memories of standing at the rear ramp watching the world pass by underneath :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 12:30 PM, andyf117 said:

Not strictly correct - the sponsons as integrally moulded are the right size for an HC.1; they have to be cut off to be replaced by the larger ones for the HC.3...

....but yes, the nose glazing features the radar so is no good for an HC.1, and yes, the instructions would have you use parts not applicable to the RAF version...

About to start it, so I cut off the sponsons as per the instructions for the RAF HC3?

On 18/07/2020 at 14:41, PhantomBigStu said:

About to start it, so I cut off the sponsons as per the instructions for the RAF HC3?

Correct. The HC3 had the larger sponson tanks.

• Thanks 1

Stu on the Stbd fuselage, did the instructions tell you to cut out the rear square? I only ask because RAF Chinooks only have round windows fitted, and it would normally be a bubble one at that position.

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Stu on the Stbd fuselage, did the instructions tell you to cut out the rear square? I only ask because RAF Chinooks only have round windows fitted, and it would normally be a bubble one at that position.

Ahead of you, instructions have you fit a transparent rectangle as the space is moulded open. Fitted the front port door with a little sanding thinking it was meant for there. Then did some surgery on the front stbd front door to fit in the port side as pictures show it wasn’t fitted to zh903. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • PhantomBigStu changed the title to Abandoned (My first helicopter)