Skua 'd by history

20 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

, if you dont have a spare kit the inside of wings is a good place to use for trials.

Now that really is a stroke of genius! I'll be nicking the idea as of today.

Thanks Pat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Do you recommend I get Tamiyas own thinners or is there something 'better' out there? 

Edited by frogmodeller

I use Tamiya thinners for both Revell and Tamiya Acrylics. It works fine, but is expensive for what it is.

I'm sure there are a ton of other options out there, I'm not too familiar with them. One possibility that springs to mind is to use acrylic auto paint thinner. A gallon of that would last a lifetime! I have no idea if it works though.

Tony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

I use Tamiya thinners for both Revell and Tamiya Acrylics. It works fine, but is expensive for what it is.

I know what you mean, I bought some in a 250 ml bottle, the cheapest I could find, that works out at £36 a litre, buying it in 10 ml jars is £339 a litre. :gobsmacked:

For some one that used Humbrol enamels and white spirit for the first 40 years of modelling all these "new" paints and thinners is a mine field.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Us Scots have a well earned reputation for not wanting to spend any money !

I, of course would not want to stereo-type anybody. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Also rather more fresh air to blow the smell away.

Are we talking about the white spirit still? :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Is "white spirit still" some kind of euphemism for an illegal whisky distillery?

Careful what you suggest:  I do like that area of Scotland and would like to be allowed back in one day.

I couldn't possibly comment 🥃

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Is "white spirit still" some kind of euphemism for an illegal whisky distillery?

If your illegal whisky is coming out like white spirit I think there must be a problem, I did a fair share of distillery tours while I was stationed at Lossiemouth. :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

You never tried poteen?  (OK, whiskey not whisky.  How to start an international row, No.27... )  However, I did say a euphemism not a description.   What happens down the bottom of my garden is no-one's business, but as I'll have to get the machetes out to reach it there's no problem.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

If your illegal whisky is coming out like white spirit I think there must be a problem, I did a fair share of distillery tours while I was stationed at Lossiemouth. :winkgrin:

As i used to live on Islay, i believe the colour comes from the cask it is aged in.

Some of the lads and i in the local village are toying with the idea of buying a cask between us to have bottled in a few years time.

Currently we are planning an extensive tour of distillerys for tasting before making our final decision on which distillery to buy the cask from.

Its a dirty filthy job but someone has to do it !

cheers Pat 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

As i used to live on Islay, i believe the colour comes from the cask it is aged in.

That's right, If I remember it correctly that casks that held port were used, good luck with your cunning plan. 🤪

• Like 2

I'm not overcome by fumes from thinners, just working a bunch of late shifts. I've got some thinners to try which will hopefully work on this job and thanks to several encouraging folk I will be looking at a few alternate paints to try. The vallejo FAA set seems a good starting point. 

Cheers.

Matt

The thinners didn't work, wrong compatability... waiting on post for ordered tamiya stuff :D

Edited by frogmodeller
Update
  • Like 5

Well, whilst waiting to resolve a couple of paint issues, I've touched in a few areas with enamels I've had for decades. Surprisingly (to me) all still useable, thankfully!

In keeping with the nostalgia I can't afford the Wondacolor range for "satin RAF oleo leg medium alloy March - May 1940", so it's plain Humbrol M11 and make do ;) This may end up finished if my failing eyesight holds out! 

As I had a bit of spare time I got to thinking about the decals. I guess they're 55 years old. I see there's some sheets of generic ones available if needed. See how it holds in the water....

20200630_205424

Nervously fished out.... yay! It holds together fine! :)

20200630_205614

I love these big stands with the Frog IMA logo and globe on them ! 

I guess I feel better knowing the original decals should work, to keep it an all vintage build. I know its basic but I'm having fun.

Edited by frogmodeller
Spelling
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

Those FROG stands are things of beauty. Even the Gannet looks good on one of those.

That stand picture takes me back 50 years, as for the Gannet, just don't look for the cockpit detail. :whistle:

Another thing to consider experimenting with for Tamiya paints is adding a little bit of retarder.  Tamiya has their own stuff, but you can also use an acrylic retarder from a local art supply store.  It should help by slowing the drying time a bit to aid in paint leveling and more importantly reduce the paint "skinning" before you are done w/ the brush strokes.

They are definitely a different animal than the tried and true enamels.  I'm starting to play with them a bit myself , slowly converting over as I use up my current supply of Testors MM paints.  

I've found FROG decals pretty much indestructible on the whole. Old Airfix ones I just bin but I have managed to get old Revell ones to stick down using superglue as my setting solution!

Although the kit has "some accuracy issues" (a bit like the Airfix Battle) it looks to be going together nicely. I look forward to seeing it on the stand soon!

Regards,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, frogmodeller said:

I'm skewered by the Post Office 😥.

My thinners, paints and sundries haven't arrived. 

20200714_182119

Arrived!

• Like 1

I decided to use the recommendation on a BM thread elsewhere which suggested the use of tamiya XF22 RLM Grey for the FAA greenish tinted (sea?) Grey. Brushed on better in my amateur fashion with some thinners than before so I'll have to just make the best of it. (given my health).

20200724_090215

• Like 2