Spitfire MkVb - AB264

Hi all

Been working on this for a while,  it's a nice Kit with only the odd way in which the undercarriage is moulded which lets it down, I did the AB264 option the aircraft of Buck Mcnair that played a part in the defence of Malta .

Built OIOB apart from a set of PE Seatbelts and Eduard replacement exhausts.  Brush painted with Humbrol enamels and Oil paint wash and paint chips with various coloured pencils. 

spacer.png

d4a349ce-e3ff-477b-a283-5e6c8cf4aba2.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you enjoy

All the best

Chris

• Like 39

Very impressive work. The Malta color scheme is attractive and a nice change from the standard schemes.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

What a great looking Spit,lovely job....

Thanks Vince

1 hour ago, Peter W said:

Looks really good Chris, do like the Malta colour scheme.

what colour did you use for the blue/grey?

Pete

Thanks Pete very kind, the Humbrol paint is Number 27.  It went on very nicely I gave it 3 thinned coats.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Very impressive work. The Malta color scheme is attractive and a nice change from the standard schemes.  

Thanks SAT69 it's a lovely scheme.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Very nice work Chris.

Thanks Tony, very kind of you.

1 hour ago, The_Lancaster said:

Nice Spitfire!

Thank you

32 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Very nice 👍 I do love that camouflage and has been echoed above... something different to the normal green/grey or green/earth schemes. 

Thanks binbrook87, it is what drew me to the kit after seeing it in the Airfix magazine when it first came out. 

Thanks everyone

All the best

Chris

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Chris - congratulations! :clap2:

Thanks Roger, very pleased with the model, it looks great on display with all my other Spitfire models, due to the unusual scheme.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

7 hours ago, shortCummins said:

very nice, as others have said that Malta camo' really makes her stand out.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks John, very kind of you

6 hours ago, Fredrikc said:

Fantastic job! The camo is just brilliant. 

Thanks Fredrikc again very kind

6 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Spiffing Spitfire! Lovely build and finish , great stuff !

Wulfman

Thank you too Wulfman 

All the best

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Excellent build. The paint scheme is nicely done and the weathering looks very realistic.

41 minutes ago, reggie78usmc said:

Awesome build.  The Airfix mk.Vb is one of my fave kits

Thank you both of you, very kind indeed.  It is a cracking Kit.  

All the best

Chris

56 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Great result Chris. I like the Malta camouflage and the subtle weathering. 

John

Hi John , hope you are well, thanks, I was drawn to the scheme, it is such a contrast to the usual scheme, I would love another one, as you can never have too many Spitfires, I will get back on with the 32nd scale Vb soon, just got to finish my 32nd Tiggie build first.

All the best

Chris

I was planning to convert my Vb to an RAAF Vc , the one with the cow chewing the flag, but I’m reliably informed that it flew with and without the tropical filter so I might do that ‘ clean ‘ and get another Vb for the Malta scheme. I ought to get on with my 1/32 Mk Vb too  but I’m desperate to build a 1/48 Airfix Hunter F5 next in Suez markings.

Stay safe

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I was planning to convert my Vb to an RAAF Vc , the one with the cow chewing the flag, but I’m reliably informed that it flew with and without the tropical filter so I might do that ‘ clean ‘ and get another Vb for the Malta scheme. I ought to get on with my 1/32 Mk Vb too  but I’m desperate to build a 1/48 Airfix Hunter F5 next in Suez markings.

Stay safe

John

Ooooooooo sounds interesting go on, get another for the Malta scheme too !!! The Hunter sounds great, such a beautiful looking plane. Funnily enough, I have recently got the decals for my Hunter and have muted on another thread that I would be looking at this next. I am doing a GA.11 using the Revell Hunter.  

Must get the Tiggie finished oh and the Seahawk too as both shelf of doom builds and if I don't they will sit for a few more years!!!

All the best

Chris