Airfix 1/72 F-86D Sabre - Shark Teeth ** Finished **

This is my entry to this fabulous group build. A kit I clearly remember making (and finishing!) as a kid aged about 10 or 11. It had obvious attractions - the shark's teeth was the biggest and also that it was silver and shiny 😀 The kit is old, the decals are ropey but I'll enjoy every minute!

50028490558_d2131f768f_c.jpg

50029291637_6fc69dddc7_c.jpg

• Like 13

Im going to follow as the Dog is my favorite mark of Sabre. That and Ive been looking for one of these kits as Im on a bit of a vintage Airfix thing right now. Ive got the F-84, but still need this and the F-80 for USAF. Im also looking for other as well so 

• Like 1

Air brakes in, rocket bay up, the only deviation from Kit Built As A Kit is undercarriage down - other half won't tolerate hanging from ceiling (although I'm very tempted!). Will attempt first effort at spray can aluminium this evening...

50059643132_a19f0701b9_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 10

Far from perfect but a Natural Metal Finish has been applied with aluminium spray can from Halfords. As A Kid it would have been brush painted. I'd love to time travel back and compare the finish! The external tanks have also been NMFed but I fear the seems will need some work. That will keep me busy while I wait for paints to be delivered next week. In the 'As A Kid' tradition I've already knocked both rear wheels off 🤣

50078474377_23508e26a8_c.jpg

• Like 10

• TommyF changed the title to Airfix 1/72 F-86D Sabre - Shark Teeth!
  • 2 weeks later...

Painting complete - decals on this week. Have knocked ALL wheels off at some point and the fuel outlet pipe today, need to get this finished very soon and safe on a shelf away from my clumsy hands 🙄

50112572082_bceaf233f9_c.jpg

• Like 9

Another classic example of box art being featured on the cover of Airfix Magazine to whet the appetite for a trip to Woolworths 😃

It's a great wee kit too. Watching with interest. 

John 

What a thoroughly enjoyable group build - a real trip down memory lane :) Thank you to the hosts and all those with encouraging comments. Since my return to modelling I have been using acrylic paints or spray cans. And although I used Halfords Aluminium for the metal finish instead of Humbrol 11 I think I will have to order an enamel tin - just for the reminder of childhood smell. I was expecting a nightmare with the ancient decals but they went on a treat. I also can't believe I knocked off a wheel AGAIN next time the wheels are going on LAST...! Photos added to gallery...

50141650756_2f8c9ae599_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 12

• TommyF changed the title to Airfix 1/72 F-86D Sabre - Shark Teeth ** Finished **