Audi sport quattro, Pikes Peak 1985

Thanks a lot guys. I'm quite happy how the yellow turned out.

The decals I need before the clear coat have all now been applied. All are from the transkit sheet, which is a pleasure to work with. This will now have to rest over night. I think I will try to mix a clear, 2K as usual, from something like perhaps 75% gloss and 25% semi gloss to keep the shine back just a little bit.

I also checked the decal test print, and after some small adjustment was made in two places I'm ready to print them.

sq40.jpg

sq41.jpg

• Like 9

On 29/06/2020 at 22:12, Windy37 said:

Looks good that. All this talk of different shades of yellows , and there isn't actually a lot of yellow on the car !

Gary . 

Too true! 

However its the point that will make or break the build... 

• Like 3

Thanks a lot gentlemen, you are most kind.

I got the clear sprayed the other day, so it's had some time to cure. I could have mixed even more semi gloss in, will try 50/50 next time see where it takes me.

sq42.jpg

There's more visibility through the various mesh in the bonnet than I anticipated, so I had to make some parts to fit underneath. Nothing perfectly accurate, but close enough to avoid the emptiness.

sq43.jpg

Today I printed out the decals.

sq44.jpg

I'm not terribly concerned with the underside details, so I have just painted the basic colours and given it some light wear and smear.

sq45.jpg

I also started some detail painting of the body shell.

sq46.jpg

• Like 11

Looks fantastic!! The yellow looked a little bright at first, but now with some decals it has toned down somewhat and looks perfect. How are you printing the white for the background decals? What type of printer do you use? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Looks fantastic!! The yellow looked a little bright at first, but now with some decals it has toned down somewhat and looks perfect. How are you printing the white for the background decals? What type of printer do you use? 

Thanks a lot.

I have an OKI DP5000, it's the same printer as an Alps MD5000 but with the OKI logo. It also prints prints gold, silver and chrome foil.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andy J said:

Looks better with every post great work again 👍

Thanks a lot Andy, you are most kind.

Painting of the body shell was finished off with a wash in the panel shut lines. Decals should be next, usually one of the more enjoyable works. We'll see how it goes this time.

sq47.jpg

The interior is also finished. The roll cage padding is made from heat shrink tubing. When shrunk around a similar diameter rod as the cage I then cut it and move it to the cage, placing the cuts so they aren't visible when assembled. Belts were made from a Modeler's set.

sq48.jpg

sq49.jpg

sq50.jpg

• Like 10

Wow that dash is awesome beautiful work infact the whole interior is special. What a gem you're gonna end up with when this is finished. Great work I love it 👍

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Are you going to put a little weathering on? To me the panel lines look a bit harsh on the clean bodywork.

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good job we're all different, the panel lines look spot on to me! :)

There might well be some weathering, I haven't decided, we'll see where inspiration takes me. I'm quite happy with the panel lines, they would have been done the same, weathering or not. I actually find them a bit restrained. There is a good deal of taste and interpretation involved in things like this, it can also be difficult to appreciate panel lines on photos.

13 hours ago, Andy J said:

Wow that dash is awesome beautiful work infact the whole interior is special. What a gem you're gonna end up with when this is finished. Great work I love it 👍

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As does the interior, really nice work!

Thanks a lot guys, glad you like it.

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Very crisp and neat. Looks awesome!

Thank you very much, means a lot when you say so.

The decals are on and I'm quite pleased with the result. There is the occasional compromise in placing and size, but nothing more than I can live with.

sq51.jpg

sq52.jpg

• Like 9