identify this Hurricane?

72modeler

While on my regular quest for Mk V photos and/or references, I came across this photo on Wikipedia. Caption states it is a No. 56 Squadron Hurrcane, and the photo was taken at Duxford on 2 January, 1942. Is it a Mk IIb? Any guess as to the serial and individual code letter? I assume the squadron code would be US, not LR? Note the early exhausts on the Hurri next to it. Can't tell if that is the individual code or tape on the LE above the pilot's head. What say you, @Troy Smith?

Pilots_and_Hawker_Hurricanes_of_No._56_'

• Like 1

Yes, it is a Mk. II (longer panel between the cockpit and the engine). The position of the two outer guns is not visible in the picture, so we have no positive evidence of Mk. IIB vs Mk. IIA, but I'd think by January 1942 it is most likely a Mk. IIB.

Individual code assumed to be 'V', if what I see over the rightmost pilot's head is a letter.

• Thanks 1

Not a V. from the extension it is either a K or an X, I believe an X.  The way it sits on the uppersurface rather than "straight" on the leading edge makes me fairly sure there would be more to see lower down, and I think the very beginning of the lower half can be seen as a widening stem.

• Thanks 1

No one has mentioned the 'Punjab' .... which looks to me like it had recently been chalked on, probably for the benefit of the photographer. Strictly non-regulation in terms of size and position and non-typical for the period. Which proves nothing of course.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

No one has mentioned the 'Punjab' .... which looks to me like it had recently been chalked on, probably for the benefit of the photographer. Strictly non-regulation in terms of size and position and non-typical for the period. Which proves nothing of course.

That's quite an elaborate font for someone to 'chalk on' for the benefit of a picture...?

1 minute ago, Werdna said:

That's quite an elaborate font for someone to 'chalk on' for the benefit of a picture...?

It is ... but enlarge the photo and look at the texture of the infill.

This was in the description of the image on Wikipedia:

The official caption reads: 'Fighter aircraft donated by the Province of the Punjab have been in action and have scored numerous victories over the Hun'. The pilot in the centre is Wing Commander Vernon Gifkins.

53 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Hi 

I gathered from talks years ago with ex raf, it was a way around regulations to chalk things on 

if 'higher ups' visited suddenly,  it could be removed fast

Wasn't there a series of press photos of defiants with chalked names ? 

some of 263's whirlwinds had chalked drawings on them 

cheers

jerry