1/48 Kfir C2 FAE (Kinetic)

• 7 months later...

indeed a fantastic build. perfect amount of weathering and amazing photography.

But I have a question about the nose gear door, the forward one that closes from fore to aft.

I notice some Kfir’s have a 2 piece door like the one presented here but in some pics I notice it appears to be a single door.

Can anyone give some guidance on this?

cheers and thanks

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrumBum said:

But I have a question about the nose gear door, the forward one that closes from fore to aft.

I notice some Kfir’s have a 2 piece door like the one presented here but in some pics I notice it appears to be a single door.

cheers and thanks

I've never made this observation and can't find any photo's showing this. Would you mind linking to a picture that you may have?

Alternatively, perhaps @exdraken might know? 

7 hours ago, DrumBum said:

cheers and thanks

hmm actually I never observed this!

the nose gear doors come originally from the Mirage III design and were not really changed for the KFIR adaption. Not even the Swiss design change did away with the 3 part doors concept.

the Colombian Kfir C10s, arguably the newest of the breed show the 3 door design.

https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/5/93273_1502674255.jpg

of course there might be a modification out there somewhere..... do you care to share any photo links?

cheers!

• Thanks 1

well, it looks like I may have posted too soon regarding the nose gear door.

I realize that some of the references photos I used as a guide were of models and obviously built incorrectly.

I notice the AMK instructions are incorrect as to the installation of the nose gear doors and It would be easy to think there is one NLG door. 

Then I realized that the only actual shot of a Kfir with a single door is actually on display and not in service and probably not re-assembled correctly by the display staff. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ecuador-Air-Force/Israel-Aircraft-Industries-Kfir-C2/2203352

My bad. cheers lads

• Like 2

Avgas,

You mentioned that you weathered with oils and pastels but I am wondering how you weathered the panel lines, particularly the light green areas of the camo pattern.

This is something that I am new at and have tried a fine airbrush along the panel lines but not happy with the reults.

Any insight into how you got such fine lines along the edges would be awesome.

cheers and again, very inspirational. 

10 hours ago, DrumBum said:

Avgas,

You mentioned that you weathered with oils and pastels but I am wondering how you weathered the panel lines, particularly the light green areas of the camo pattern.

This is something that I am new at and have tried a fine airbrush along the panel lines but not happy with the reults.

Any insight into how you got such fine lines along the edges would be awesome.

cheers and again, very inspirational. 

Hi DrumBum, the panel lines are filled with a pin wash using oil paint diluted with odourless turpentine. I hope I've understood your question correctly - feel free to message me if you need more detail or have any more questions :)

15 minutes ago, RupertTheBear said:

Sounds like the kit is a PITA to build but the result is stunning!

Yup 😒

I'm busy with another one at the moment so it's all coming back to me.. 

In fairness, it was one of Kinetics earlier kits and the quality was worse back then. That, coupled with the fact I'm not the world's best or most enthusiastic builder (I enjoy the painting and weathering) meant it was not the most enjoyable to put together. There are lots of modellers out there who didn't have much issue with the kit, so I'll be the first to admit that I had a hand in the difficulty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:12 AM, Avgas said:

Hi DrumBum, the panel lines are filled with a pin wash using oil paint diluted with odourless turpentine. I hope I've understood your question correctly - feel free to message me if you need more detail or have any more questions :)

Avgas, cheers, makes perfect sense. Time for me to try it myself.

• Like 1

What a stunner - missed this the first time around so glad it's back on the front page, really lovely build!

I've got a Wingman twin stick FAE Kfir sitting on the Shelf of Procrastination at the moment - it's just about ready for paint and that's what causing most of my dithering at the moment (that and trying to make Wingman's two seat vac canopy fit!) and I was wondering if you can recall what paints you used - they look very close to the picture of the real jet on the kit's box top - much nearer than any of the 6 or so combonations I've tested so far!

TIA

Keith

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What a stunner - missed this the first time around so glad it's back on the front page, really lovely build!

I've got a Wingman twin stick FAE Kfir sitting on the Shelf of Procrastination at the moment - it's just about ready for paint and that's what causing most of my dithering at the moment (that and trying to make Wingman's two seat vac canopy fit!) and I was wondering if you can recall what paints you used - they look very close to the picture of the real jet on the kit's box top - much nearer than any of the 6 or so combonations I've tested so far!

TIA

Keith

Hi Keith

I so badly want one of those twin sticks! I look forward to seeing yours when it's done.

About the colours - I used Mr Colour Aqueous H309 (FS34079) for the dark green, H311 (FS36622) for the underside and for the light green (FS34258) I made my own mix, and I am a little hazy on this but I think I started with Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green, adding white, then some more darker greens, ending up with somewhat the same colour that I started with. I'd suggest just playing around with XF-71.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avgas said:

I so badly want one of those twin sticks! I look forward to seeing yours when it's done.

Some really lovely resin parts in the kit - and two horrible vac canopies! I bought the last one Wingman had taken to Telford in 2019, started it more or less as soon as I got home and it's nearly ready for primer! So it might get done by the end of the year (not commiting to any particular year though....!!) 

Many thanks for the info on the paints, I think I might have all those colours in stock, I shall indeed have a play around with the XF-71 as it's the light green I've been struggling with.

Thanks again

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Here is the 2nd one!

Had to search it ;)

Any chance for both in one photo?

Absolutely great!

Thanks Werner. Unfortunately the FAE bird is packed away in preparation for a house move so the best I can about a group photo is to cheat with some software 😁

lNhBl6.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...