First of the Few - Buccaneer S.2

First, my apologies for the dilatory approach to posting for this build .... as in, none .... so far.  I suppose I am a rather existentially challenged group builder!  But, I have indeed been keeping up, watching builds in progress and, most importantly, I have been building along.  Super job on your builds everyone; thanks for taking the time to post them!    

Admittedly I started this build before the beginning date, but it was less than a quarter way there by the start date, I submit, and besides that, I am just getting my act together for a post two-thirds of the way through the group build.  This should - in theory - curve the space-time continuum just enough to make the timing of all this copacetic enough for publication at this time.  I'll start posting now.  Be warned, if you were to happen to follow the flickr links on my photos you may also be inexplicably propelled into the future.  So here are the build pictures even if not in real-time, nor exactly on-time!

The inspiration for this build:

50028395487_85e3ae2d15_b.jpg

; ;

I thought it would be fitting to do my first build of the new Airfix kit as the first production Mk.2 Buccaneer - XN974.   The first of the few as it were, although I think it will be the first of several builds of this kit for me I suspect.  I am going to build this one wheels up as in the picture, beating up the aerodrome at Brough in May 1966.   Of course, it will take pilots too, and I took the opportunity to upgrade the crew with figures from PJ Productions.

49998971391_9333f7e6dc_b.jpg

And some references to help me along the way:

49998451723_29fcd43ca1_b.jpg

As with most airplane model kits, things begin with the cockpit.  I built it up first and then painted it and added the kit decals.  That will be plenty good for an in-flight model with figures in the seats.

49937934788_a1c7d7235f_b.jpg

It is a cleverly engineered kit.  It doesn't take long to get to this point because it is fun to see how it goes together.

Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer S.2

Building the landing gear bays closed was easy enough.  Just cut the locating tabs and lay the in place.

Then the sanding began which is where things slowed down a bit.

I'll post more tomorrow night.  Sorry for the untimely post and lousy iphone pics. - Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 7

There is quite a bit of sanding here and there to make the model into an early Mk.2.  This mainly involves removing raised panels that were added to XV361 later in its service life. 

The fairing in front of the intakes was sanded back.

49938880493_0f0464de8a_b.jpg

49939698017_0f7b02597d_b.jpg

Many of the raised panels were easily dealt with by outlining them in pencil and then sanding them until the line disappeared.

The same approach worked well for the airbrake as well.

49939706752_2fa781cbc4_b.jpg

49939702062_281773a50f_b.jpg

49939715732_f6fe97fc35_b.jpg

Then the filling, scribing and sanding continued .... more to come. - Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 3

This model is going to be on a stand made of acrylic rod.  I made a hole to fit the rod through the bomb bay just behind the center gravity.  With all of the internal structure in the model, it should just sit on the rod comfortably.

I cut a rough hole through the top of the bomb bay and then measured off the hole for the bomb bay door.  I drilled smaller holes to make a chain that I cut through with a knife and then used a rolled up piece of sandpaper to make it smooth and the proper size.  Frequent test fitting ensured a nice tight fit.

I used a similar method to thin out the exhausts too.

Happy Buccaneering everyone! - Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sanfrandragon said:

Interesting the fairings had to go, on my Buccaneer from Czech Master Resin they are a separate part.

Indeed that is why it is a separate part on the CMR kit.  The fairing was added in the mid 60s to reduce noise in the cockpit (if memory serves me).  Check references for particulars, but it was easy an easy decision for me as my subject is the very first machine ever built as a Mk.2.  Here is a late 60s 809 Bucc without the fairing:

IMG_3794

• Like 1

At this stage the model was generally put together and the finishing work began.  I filled and sanded back several panel lines and seams.  I filled the join lines around the exhausts and up toward the spine because they looked a little rough as is.  These lines are present on the real things but not terribly prominent.  I feel like the model will look better with them filled.  I could re-scribe them but don't really want to bother; scribeing a circle around a jet pipe is a pain to get right.  I did re-scribe some areas around the intakes though.  I am not a fan of the horizontal panel lines that Airfix included on the intakes.  Those joins are there on the real thing, but they are not really noticeable unlike the vertical lines at the back of the part where it joins the fuselage.  I filled those lines to suit my taste.  Some red lines to help explain:

50036650113_09e49ed60e_b.jpg

50037453012_c59fdeb192_b.jpg

Cheers - Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 3

And here is where we are after some filling and sanding.  This took care of some high-side/low-side issues at the joint lines. 

There is more work to be done on the exhaust lines, but things are moving closer to the painting stage. - Jack

• Like 4

Looking good jack ,you've built it up very well,nice reference  too ,if airfix dont hurry up and pull its  finger out, I've  got another in its box waiting to be converted

Impressive progress so far with your project Jack. Am I correct in thinking you made a start prior to the GB and are getting us up to speed with your continued progress within the time-frame to date or have I read that wrong? Please excuse me as I'm playing catch-up while tired after a period of rather busy and long days. Either way your Bucc is looking great so far :) 

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Am I correct in thinking you made a start prior to the GB and are getting us up to speed with your continued progress .....

Yes sir; I started this build several months ago, but knew I would be under the 25% progress threshold because my build time comes in waves.  We are almost up to my current status; I have one more post to catch us up and then painting will begin.

• Thanks 1

The seats in this kit are designed to ensure proper offset placement with large locating tabs.  I wanted to keep this intact, but also address the thick features at the top of the seat.  I came up with a hybrid solution using white metal parts from my stash.  The white metal seats came in two pieces that allowed me to mix and match with some cutting and grinding.  I can't remember the manufacturer, but they have some age on them I know and my best guess is that they are Aeroclub parts.  I cut the corresponding parts off the kit seats keeping to locating tabs at the bottom.  I also spent some time thinning down the upper sides of the seats for a better scale appearance.  I left the bottom half alone to ensure a good fit.  The bottom halves won't really be visible at all with crew in place anyhow.  Here is what I ended up with:

49938914283_d17eab3b70_b.jpg

Test fitting with the figures in place looked good.  I did have to cut off the control stick from the pilot's instrument panel as well as amputating his legs to get him to fit.  By the way, the stick seems too big to me - just like the 1/48 kit coincidentally.

And here we are after some paint.  By the way, pictured in the background is yet another of the world's greatest things that also happens to have been created in the U.K.!

49999227797_440678b39b_b.jpg

And here we are with a wash and pull handles added.  They look a bit rough at this magnification, but I am pleased with how they look in person.  The pull handles came from the photo-etch fret included with the FAA release of the CMR kit. 

50024943037_015fdcfc85_c.jpg

Some final plastic prep and masking to be done and we should be ready for paint.  Cheers - Jack

• Like 1

By the way, you may have noticed that I cut off the sticky-up-thing in the nav's office.  This was added later in the Bucc's service life.  I think it was a map holder or some such. 

This is XN976 on board the USS Lexington in 1965 for reference:

50044466942_f9256ec891_b.jpg

- Jack

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not much photo worthy progress made lately - mostly sand, scribe, polish chores.  I sprayed a coat of Alclad Black primer which is new to me.  It rubbed down nicely and highlighted some spots that need attention with the scriber.  The primer polished up pretty smooth and hopefully will make for a nice gloss finish on top. 

50098659558_e3f24a2e25_b.jpg

50096589388_966a8bb3dd_b.jpg

50099238126_7fedc7d3ba_b.jpg

- Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 4

Everything looks to have gone well for you there Jack. Also reminds me of the overall black ones being operated in Thunder City :speak_cool:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have basically now finished painting this project. I sprayed the metal areas and fiberglass areas first.  I had an odd issue with the primer peeling up on the nose like a rubbery film.  I actually trimmed it with a #11 blade at the panel line and sanded it back pretty cleanly.  Strange that it didn't happen anywhere else.  I repainted the nose later in the process just wanting to get on with the white as it takes some extra time to dry thoroughly.  

50172094131_b2dca2ed1b_b.jpg

50171552618_87db2f7949_b.jpg

After the white dried over a few days, I masked it to spray the grey.  I used Gunze Aqueous for the grey and white.

50172355082_a296b46b77_b.jpg

After the grey, I masked off the exhausts and nose painting.  I painted the nose with a black/green color for the band and the an ochre color for the rest.

50171559503_e64daa54c2_b.jpg

50172102546_14ecbfe0b3_b.jpg

And this is where I am now with it.

50171570768_49349b02fd_b.jpg

50172109261_bc73c27236_b.jpg

50172112226_1fd6a08359_b.jpg

50172380267_3579df4be6_b.jpg

50172113626_72b9af9a4a_b.jpg

There are some rough edges to touch up and smooth out, but I am reasonably happy with the paint job.  - Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 4

So, we are very nearly there with only some clear coats and decals to go.  I could push this one through and finish it by Sunday, but I regret that I won't be able to.  I am taking my two older sons fishing in Louisiana for the weekend.  We will see this one finished soon though and I look forward to seeing everyone else's.  It has been a fun group build to watch.   Thank you all. 

• Like 1

Impressive progress again and the grey over white scheme does look great. Thankfully Enzo's Extension (Ooh er! :blink2: ) means you have more time to work on this one within the GB timescale :) 

• Thanks 1

Smashing job. One of the few times the flying stand will actually hold the aeroplane at a realistic scale height above the ground!

But - surely with your avatar you should be doing a 12 squadron example?

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Impressive progress again and the grey over white scheme does look great. Thankfully Enzo's Extension (Ooh er! :blink2: ) means you have more time to work on this one within the GB timescale :) 

Oh joy - I had not noticed that there was a two week extension!  Yes indeed I should be able to finish this comfortably within the extended deadline!  😄

Edited by wadeocu

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

But - surely with your avatar you should be doing a 12 squadron example?

Ah yes I suppose you are right! 😂. There will most certainly be some shiny twelve buccs built from this kit on my shelf but I thought for my first go with this kit that it would be fitting to build the first new build Mk.2 Buccaneer.  Now that we have a truly nice kit of the airplane I think that I may end up with an example from every squadron that operated buccs.  I don’t know, maybe I can find room for 211 builds - one of each airframe manufactured in real life!  🤪  I don’t think I will be doing them in order though!

Edited by wadeocu
  • Haha 1