Greetings!

Recently completed build of the vintage Airfix Dornier 217J-1 night fighter from the 1978 kit.  I purchased this kit from the Ahmad Jamal toy store in Riyadh in 1984 during my Saudi expat years, I think I paid 8 Riyals.  Plenty of raised surface details and poorly fitting parts!  Very much out of the box build with just a few small enhancements.  40 year old decals had to be drenched in direct sunlight, but went down very well.  While not up to the current standards, I like the challenge of these old kits.  Many thanks for having a look, questions and comments always welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 49

A superbly finished example of the 'Luftwaffe's famous(?) nightfighter' ! 

Well done with the ancient decals too. I'd probably have junked them without thinking, but they look great.

• Thanks 1

Well done.

A silk purse from a s ..

Oh! Hang on. You got that in Riyadh didn't you ?

That was the wrong analogy to choose.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for having a look and commenting!   More recent kits are so very much better - I had this old kit sitting with me for decades and it was less of a struggle than I initially anticipated.  I used Tamiya gloss black in a rattle can.  It was very glossy and the decals went down easily, no silvering.   Sealed everything with a clear flat spray.  

Bill

That is a really great build and finish on the old Airfix kit.  Nightfighters are so menacing to look at - something really appealing about them.  Superb job on the canopy as well - nice, sharp lines.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, adey m said:

You are the man for bringing these old Airfix kits to life Bill. Superb.

regards, adey

I do very much like the old Airfix kits, they were my introduction into modelling and hold a special place with me.  The newer kits are more accurate, better designed, and generally well made - but they were not part of my introduction into scale models.

Bill