Valentine Mk. II - AFVClub -1/35

Hi guys,

I started my new build recently. It's AFVClub Valentine II, kit No. AF35185. Except few frustrating and unnecessary issues, this is a great kit. Great details, very nice, fine molding.

I decided to go with the 8th RTR option, from the Operation Crusader period. I couldn't find any exact reference photo matches of the markings provided by AFVClub, and these are closest I've got. At least according to my brief review of the terms, those should be OK to share for non-commercial use.

THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORTH AFRICA 1942

Slaughter is the best medicine (1)

Related image

Now I'll fast forward to the point where I am now.

Everything went out smoothly until I realized that this kit is not as accurate as I believed for the subject I selected. My bad I didn't do enough research right away so i had to do some painful surgeries. I'll make a list of inaccuracies I found out. I am sure that some of them if not all are already mentioned in other topics, but it does not hurt to mention them again.

1. Radio and aerials, there is quite a confusion here. Instructions says that you should build Wireless Set No. 11, but there is no antenna mount for Wireless Set No. 11. However, aerials you should build if you follow instructions is intended for the Wireless Set No. 19 (with two antennas). But, there is only one antenna mentioned in the instructions, although there is a mount for another antenna in the kit. I first built Wireless Set No. 11 and I had to remove it (this was painful experience) and build Set No. 19 with two antenna mounts.
  2. Road wheels are an older version that were used on Valentine II, but not with the markings provided in the kit. There is no new version of road wheels in the kid and I decided that I can live with the old ones.
  3. Tool box lid in the instructions is wrong one. There is the right version in the kit (N5 with two strengthening bars), but it is not mentioned in the instructions. Unfortunately I used the version from the instructions (with 4 strengthening bars) and I decided to leave it like that because I was quite sure that I will damage the toolbox beyond repair if I try to remove the lid. 

Here's the Wireless Set No. 11:

20200606_165941

Replaced by Wireless Set No. 19 (also present in the kit - parts E4, E7, E10, E31, E32 - but not mentioned in the instructions)

20200608_154029

I added additional antenna mount (part B14 and etched part G21) and fit it to the rear right corner of the turret.

And here's the current state of the build:

20200606_170058

I decided to go with these sub-assemblies:

20200606_170648

That's it for now.

Best,

Nenad

• Like 18

Great subject, build and attention to detail.

Watch out for the kit decals, I built one of there Valentine's a few years ago and every decal broke up into hundreds of tiny pieces when I tried go use them. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Those turret internals are rather nice.

Your top pic shows a tank with 3 aerials; 2 for the No.19 what's connected to the 3rd? I presume this a command tank feature and would be interesting to know.

Stuart

On 6/21/2020 at 10:31 AM, Jasper dog said:

Great subject, build and attention to detail.

Watch out for the kit decals, I built one of there Valentine's a few years ago and every decal broke up into hundreds of tiny pieces when I tried go use them. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks for the heads up Darryl. Decals in my kit look a bit strange. There are spots of discoloration here are there, like they were sprinkled with water or something like that... we'll see what happens when I try to apply them.

Cheers,

Nenad

On 6/22/2020 at 8:49 AM, Courageous said:

Those turret internals are rather nice.

Your top pic shows a tank with 3 aerials; 2 for the No.19 what's connected to the 3rd? I presume this a command tank feature and would be interesting to know.

Stuart

That was my guess as well. Command thank with additional radio. Although, I didn't find an explanation anywhere.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I had some progress. Basically finished building the model. Mostly OOB, except some changes due too accuracy issues, but still with the parts provided in the kit. The only additional details I added is wiring here and there (aerials, headlight, etc.).

I painted the running gear completely before everything else because it world be hard to do this once sand shields are glued to the hull. I also finished the tracks including some light weathering. I had sooooo many problems with vinyl tracks this time. Usually, I manage to tame them, but this time, they were simply horrible and I had every possible problem imaginable with them... the molding was not very good, had to clean them a lot (semi-successfully), they didn't want to glue together... and finally when I painted them, coated them, everything looked fine until I stared weathering with powders and enamel thinner. All the paint just started peeling... I managed to hide the damage to some extent, but I'll definitely have to do some more work on them later. I guess I should buy AFVClub plastic ones or Fruils, but know I am too stubborn to do that now :)

20200613_232004

Primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500.

20200615_135855

I never painted a subject in No. 61 Light Stone before, so I was struggling to choose which paint to use. Just for curiosity reasons, I checked several manufacturers (Real Colors, Mission Models, Lifecolor, MRP compared to Mike Starmer mix).

20200619_120332

I made a separate topic for this. You can find it here.

At the end, I decided to use Real Colors Light Stone version... so far, I like it.

More to come this weekend.

Best,

Nenad

• Like 8

I have this kit as well and yes, the wheels are incorrect.  They offer the correct ones in their Mk.IV and perhaps the sprues are available from AFVClub, but I don’t know.  I picked up some correct aftermarket wheels. I didn’t pick up the tool box lid bit-thanks for the heads-up on that!

I’ve built all of the Valentine kits out there-the Alan/Dragon kit is terrible and not worth dealing with; Miniart kits have dimensional issues that are not a simple matter to rectify; Bronco kits are based on the Miniart ones, but are largely correct, though have some issues here and there; Tamiya is a nice build, but like most Tamiya kits, takes too many shortcuts which sacrifice detail.  The AFV kits are in my opinion, the best Valentines out there overall, although as you discovered, the Mk. II kit is a mix of features, but will build up nicely-I’ll be following your posts-looking great so far!

I built Tamiya’s kit as a Mk.IV, but it does a Mk.II pretty well also, just be prepared to add detail. The base colour is Vallejo’s AV Light Stone (I had originally recalled that I used a Starmer Tamiya mix, but looking back, it was Vallejo). Looking at the wheels on yours, I think you got the colour right.  I lightened mine a little to represent sun fading and scale effect.

46820169844_2b6fb0b6d1_b.jpg

Here is AFV’s Mk.I with Bronco early tracks.  I’m not a fan of vinyl/rubber band tracks either for the reasons you mention.

AFV Valentine Mk I

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 9

On 6/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, f matthews said:

I have this kit as well and yes, the wheels are incorrect.  They offer the correct ones in their Mk.IV and perhaps the sprues are available from AFVClub, but I don’t know.  I picked up some correct aftermarket wheels. I didn’t pick up the tool box lid bit-thanks for the heads-up on that!

I’ve built all of the Valentine kits out there-the Alan/Dragon kit is terrible and not worth dealing with; Miniart kits have dimensional issues that are not a simple matter to rectify; Bronco kits are based on the Miniart ones, but are largely correct, though have some issues here and there; Tamiya is a nice build, but like most Tamiya kits, takes too many shortcuts which sacrifice detail.  The AFV kits are in my opinion, the best Valentines out there overall, although as you discovered, the Mk. II kit is a mix of features, but will build up nicely-I’ll be following your posts-looking great so far!

I built Tamiya’s kit as a Mk.IV, but it does a Mk.II pretty well also, just be prepared to add detail. The base colour is Vallejo’s AV Light Stone (I had originally recalled that I used a Starmer Tamiya mix, but looking back, it was Vallejo). Looking at the wheels on yours, I think you got the colour right.  I lightened mine a little to represent sun fading and scale effect.

46820169844_2b6fb0b6d1_b.jpg

Here is AFV’s Mk.I with Bronco early tracks.  I’m not a fan of vinyl/rubber band tracks either for the reasons you mention.

AFV Valentine Mk I

Great work! Is this Tamiya kit built OOB or you added some AM details?

This is my first AFVClub kit, and I must say I like it very much. The level of detail and quality of molding is like the best Dragon kits, but's it much better engineered (not Tamiya level, but still) and instructions are not confusing like Dragon kits. If there were not these accuracy issues and horrible vinyl tracks (and maybe decals) it would be perfect.

• Like 2

Hi guys, I managed to finish painting and applied gloss coat (Mr.Hobby Premium Clear). I am quite happy with the color, I think it will be ok, especially once I tone it down a bit after weathering. Added some tools as well.

20200619_120153

Started doing some pin wash...

20200619_120227

Will get back soon with an update.

Best,

Nenad

• Like 5

Hi guys,

I had some time over the weekend, so I managed to finish this one (maybe?). I Apologize for skipping posts for some steps. I tried to take photos with the camera this time instead of my phone... being total beginner with photography (my experience is limited to taking pictures of kids :)) I hope it's not that bad.

Anyway... when wash was done, I applied flat coat of Mr.Hobby Premium. I did some light chipping with Tamiya Flat Brown and Dark Iron mix.

I then applied some subtle dust/sand. I first applied chipping fluid and then some light coat of Mig's North Africa Dust (airbrushed). I removed it here and there, especially in the areas where crew would walk or touch surfaces frequently. That, I added some additional deposits of North Africa Dust pigment where it should naturally in the crevices etc.

Here's the result:

DSC01292 - Copy

DSC01295 - Copy

And some details:

DSC01192 - Copy

DSC01194 - Copy

As you may notice the wire connecting Lakemann mount and Bren gun is missing (it's not mentioned in the instructions?). I tried to scrap build it, but after some frustration, decided to leave it and call it done :)

So it this one will probably go to RFI as it is now.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 5