Revell Bf109G-10 '5F+12'

This is my attempt on the 'famous' (relatively speaking) 109G-10 known as '5F+12', photographed in colour at Furth in 1945, after flying in from, I believe, Hungary (someone will correct me, I'm sure).  5F+12 was a U3 recce variant, but I have built this out of the standard and basic Revell kit - so as long as you don't look for the camera window under the fuselage, you'll be fine ;) 

Building this a/c was mostly about trying to replicate the various colours and shades which appear on the real thing.  The build thread is here, with period pics: 

As mentioned, the kit went together mostly ok, but the canopy is appallingly out of shape, which seems to be a recurring complaint about this kit, as far as I can tell.  The Avalon 5F+12 decals are heavy and didn't like bedding down into the panel lines, despite being plied with copious amounts of decalfix.  The 1945 pics show a heavily weathered a/c without undercarriage doors or drop tank - but I opted to fit them as the plane would presumably have had both at some point in its working life.  Anyway, on with the show.  Comments and critique welcome :) 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 23

Very nice indeed. I'm not sure about that profile in the WIP, though. To my eyes, it was just the standard grey/green on top, including the tail. Then some rough mottle and half a ton of exhaust stains!

But who knows for sure. There's certainly room for interpretation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IanC said:

Very nice indeed. I'm not sure about that profile in the WIP, though. To my eyes, it was just the standard grey/green on top, including the tail. Then some rough mottle and half a ton of exhaust stains!

But who knows for sure. There's certainly room for interpretation.

You may be right!  But I liked the idea of reproducing it in that profile scheme.  If it turns out to be incorrect, I'll just increase the exhaust stain quota.. ;)

• Like 1

Great work! Profile accuracy aside, you've reproduced it very thoroughly and the build and paintwork is to a high standard, so you can be proud of a rather unique looking 109 on your shelf.

I know the Revell kit is dirt cheap and it's not terrible, but if I were you, with the standard you build to and your interest in the subject, I'd invest in an Eduard kit if you feel like doing another one of these.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Great work! Profile accuracy aside, you've reproduced it very thoroughly and the build and paintwork is to a high standard, so you can be proud of a rather unique looking 109 on your shelf.

I know the Revell kit is dirt cheap and it's not terrible, but if I were you, with the standard you build to and your interest in the subject, I'd invest in an Eduard kit if you feel like doing another one of these.

Hey Vlad - those are kind words, thanks very much :) 

I got hold of the Eduard G-10 Regensburg kit the other day, but I'd be looking at doing something different again with that, probably one of the subjects in the 'late war scheme' thread we were discussing recently.  I'm planning to do a Ta152 next though, one of the Hobby Boss 'C' series kits...

Hi Werdna,

a very nice "Gustav" you show us here. This recce machine is on my long to-do list too and your example is really inspiring me 👍

I'm building the Revell Bf 109 too and as you mentioned the clear parts are out of shape (too small) so I replaced them with some unused Eduard clear parts. I also replaced the prop which is too small in diameter and narrowed down the track of the landing gear.

But otherwise the Revell/Monogram Bf 109 is still a nice looking kit.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Very nicely done indeed. It is a subject I have been aware of for some time, so I was keen to see what you came up with? I'm happy to say that I think your interpretation of the available information is pretty much spot on, as much as anyone could be certain of it. Well done. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Werdna,

a very nice "Gustav" you show us here. This recce machine is on my long to-do list too and your example is really inspiring me 👍

I'm building the Revell Bf 109 too and as you mentioned the clear parts are out of shape (too small) so I replaced them with some unused Eduard clear parts. I also replaced the prop which is too small in diameter and narrowed down the track of the landing gear.

But otherwise the Revell/Monogram Bf 109 is still a nice looking kit.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus - I thought the canopy was unacceptable on a 'mainstream' kit.  While the windshield is generally just too small, the main canopy is actually mis-cast and the forward edges are not straight.  So the only options are to either pose it open, or fill the gaps somehow.  The kit is fine overall though.  The surface detail is limited, but the panel lines are well defined.   

31 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Very nicely done indeed. It is a subject I have been aware of for some time, so I was keen to see what you came up with? I'm happy to say that I think your interpretation of the available information is pretty much spot on, as much as anyone could be certain of it. Well done. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve.  It was actually a lot of fun to paint, while learning a lot of practical 'airbrushing 101' lessons along the way ;) 

• Like 2

Looks good!

The exhaust strains on the engine: The a/c looks to have some hours.

The engine exhaust delivers lots of strains.

Myself, I also tend to keep the a/c quite clean.

Perfect!

• Like 1

Thanks :) I think there's a few possible reasons for the heavy staining.  One is that the a/c was engaged in tactical reconnaissance, so would likely have been very busy at that point of the war, with probably not a lot of attention at turnaround, other than basic maintenance and refuelling.  Another possibility is that, as I understand it, fuel was scarce at that stage of the war and a lot of aircraft were running on poorly-refined fuel supplies.  Probably a combination of both issues..