Amodel Comet 4C - 1:144

On 30/06/2020 at 12:39, general melchett said:

Great work John, a big improvement on what's in the box, strange that Amodel got it wrong as their research is usually pretty sound. Looking at all this butchery gets me in the mood for attacking the Mach 2 lurking at the back of the naughty cupboard. A lot of work  but to ease matters I'll be 3D printing new outer wings and a few 'things' to build a BEA 4B, (just taken stock options on Milliput and sanding sticks!)

Must agree about the AA kits being a joy, (building their Trident 3B for a magazine).

Look forward to progress...

Here is an appraisal of the Amodel Comet combining comments from everyone who has contributed to the thread  running on the Airliner forum:

Amodel: Comet 4B and 4C

Short run injection kit with resin detail parts

Newish kit and currently in production

Pros

-          Generally nice engraved detail throughout

-          Overall profile correct

-          Well detailed and correct underside fuselage wing centre section

-          Wing profile and dimensions correct for 4B

-          Nicely moulded resin exhaust cans.

-          Freely available and with a bit of effort can be sourced for not much more than the Airfix kit.

-          Nose U/C accurate and includes good detail.

-          Attractive box art: Olympic 4B

Cons

-          Fuselage for both versions under length and cross section too narrow

-          4C wing too short and pinion tanks wrongly located

-          Most examples suffer from a large/significant sink  mark on the underside fuselage/wing centre section negating one of the biggest pros of the kit.

-          No tail bumper

-          No fuel dump pipes on the upper wing surfaces of the 4C.

-          Decals for the Olympic 4B livery inaccurate.

AA kits are great, there is however a significant error with their Comet kit, this again is detailed and discussed on the aforementioned thread.

The Welsh Models kit is probably the best starting part point for a 1/72 Comet, I have a few in the pending pile and the wing castings in terms of profile and dims are a work of art. I have not seen the Mach 2 or AiM kits, so I can't comment  on them- other than the reputation of  Mach 2 kits precedes them.

Tommo. 

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments folks, a significant bit of progress to report - It's got paint on!

First up was a coat of Halfords appliance white from a rattle can, pre warmed in a basin of hot tap water. After a couple of days to dry, the white areas were masked off. This was assisted by the ever helpful Mr Stringbag running off a photocopy of the decal sheet so that I could place it over masking tape and cut the lightning flash through the copy, leaving me with a tape copy to place on the model. I only needed about 2 cm of the flash area, the rest was done with a thin strip of tape along the fuselage.

c42.jpg

The grey was my own mix of Tamiya 'Royal Light Grey' lightened with about 50% white, and airbrushed on.

c43.jpg

It created a large bland area of grey, which I decided to break up a but with some weathering on the wings and tail. using pastel chalks. I also freehand painted the black bits, nose, fin & tail tops etc. I left the fuselage clean, as they always appear so in photographs.

c44.jpg

Now I need to summon up the courage and apply the lovely 26 Decals.

c45.jpg

In a way these are appropriate for the Dan Air machine depicted on the kit box art (G-BDIT), as it was formerly an RAF machine (XR395) in this very livery.

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 6

Just tried out fitting the paper copy of the cheatline, spot on for length after all my messing with the fuselage (well done Ray!), but I may have taped it on a tad high at the back end. I'll have to watch that when I do it for real. Any comments on the roundel size?

c46.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2020 at 20:23, Viking said:

Just tried out fitting the paper copy of the cheatline, spot on for length after all my messing with the fuselage (well done Ray!)

Cheers

John

Pretty much the same for the cheatline on the 'Welsh' Olympic 4B I'm currently finishing off. Given that I doubt the decals were meant for Densil's kit, another shout out to Ray's wonderful decals.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid