The Mighty Eight - Aviaco DC-8-63 in 1/144

1 minute ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for your kind comments and that interesting and useful information. There is a strong tendency to assume that anything coming from Authentic Airliners will be accurate but recently I've seen modellers whose opinions I trust questioning the accuracy of their DC10/MD11 cockpit window decals and the nose shape of the Comet kits so maybe AA aren't perfect after all!

yes, the size is wrong, it is way too small. i made one myself for the EE md11/dc10 and also did some decals, because there was none available that had the correct proportions. In general AA models are outstanding, but sometimes the window decals are not correct, many in fact. People just like them so much because of the photoreal look. :)

keep on doing your way, its always an enrichment for this forum!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just on another of my occasional dips into the site . Wow what a plane . Like you Dave instantly transported back 45 years . The excitement of seeing a DC8 tail fin at Glasgow . The dash to the Spectators Terrace  to see what plane it was and marvel at the length of it . Really quite something back in the early 70s . I can see her now sitting at the end of what was then the International Pier.  Another one of your stunning aircraft creations . I’ve actually got the kit .

As an aside I’d vote KLM  too 

Hope you and your good wife keeping well in these weird times . Who could believe this last year! 

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments @Rb277170. I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a car park on Greenock Road near the Black Cart Water which was a good spotting location although depending on wind direction you only saw take offs or landings, not both. I'll never forget being in the car park when a DC-8 (Icelandair, not Aviaco) took off towards the north and passed almost directly overhead. The ground really did move!

It's very odd not having any model shows just now but hopefully Perth will happen next year.

Dave G

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for your kind comments @Rb277170. I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a car park on Greenock Road near the Black Cart Water which was a good spotting location although depending on wind direction you only saw take offs or landings, not both. I'll never forget being in the car park when a DC-8 (Icelandair, not Aviaco) took off towards the north and passed almost directly overhead. The ground really did move!

It's very odd not having any model shows just now but hopefully Perth will happen next year.

Dave G

Yes it’s still there . Last time I did serious spotting it was probably mid 80s . Good photo opportunities for aircraft landing especially if you walk up the Greenock Road a bit . Highlights in mid 80s were Hispania Caravelles , Air Atlantis 707s and Cyprus Airways A310 , then a fairly new model !  Always meant to go and take a pic of the A380 landing , but never made it ! 

• Like 1

How did I miss this? Glad I found it now though, it is a real stunner, Lovely job on it as usual Dave, flawlesss finish and a most realistic looking model.

10 out of 10 for both the choice of aircraft and the livery!

Cheers

John

• Like 1