The Mighty Eight - Aviaco DC-8-63 in 1/144

For cheatline lovers everywhere here is the Minicraft DC-8 finished as EC-BSE “Playa de las Canteras” an ex-Iberia -63 operated by Aviaco between 1981 and 1983. After leaving Aviaco the aircraft spent time in Canada with Quebecair and Nationair before the inevitable freighter conversion and service with Airborne Express until retirement in 2005.

When I was a regular spotter at Glasgow 40-odd years ago Aviaco’s Spanish charter flights were normally the domain of DC-9s but once in a while a DC-8 would turn up. Much as the rare sight delighted us spotters, it can’t have been fun living under the flightpath since the arrival and, even more so, departure of a DC-8 involved an ear-splitting noise level which is hard to imagine in the modern era of high-bypass turbofans. Happy days provided you didn’t have a DC-8 in full cry passing over your house!

I used the S&M bagged version of the Minicraft kit which comes with alternative engines, wingtips and noses but no decals. Anyone planning a -70 series from the bagged kit should note that they will need to find an alternative source for the prominent nose grills which are on the Minicraft decal sheet.

The kit has been around for many years and apart from the need to straighten the wings (do it before assembly, use a hairdryer and be careful) it’s an easy and pleasant build. I used an Extra Tech PE set to add some bling mainly around the undercarriage. Aerials, pitots and a few other small details not provided in the P/E set were made from plastic sheet and strip.

White is Halfords Appliance White. Natural metal is mainly AK Interactive and the light grey on the wings and pylons is Mr Hobby Aqueous 338.

Decals are by Two Six. I added an Authentic Airliners windscreen (actually a leftover from an MD-80 set) and some detail decals from the spares box since, as already mentioned, the bagged kit comes without decals.

Thanks for looking and as always constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave G

50026211307_3acab1b1c6_b.jpg

50026211112_a653ef7ca2_b.jpg

50025951551_e56c0125b5_b.jpg

50025406718_3fc6916a72_b.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 3

Marvellous, you definitely cant beat a good cheat line, great job .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

Can't really critisize this one. She looks good. I remember when Air Canada had the last frieghter(s) in about '92, '93ish. Used to see them take off at night in Winnipeg. Wish I had a flight tracker then to know when they came in. At least I can say I saw some....in the dark.

• Like 2

Very nice build.  Brings back memories of Aviaco flying charters into Aberdeen in the early '70s with their Caravelles.

Cheers

Graeme

Beautiful 8, Dave...you've done it again! Dazzled us all with an amazing, eye catching, and great build with an unusual and educational livery. Love what you've done with this great kit! I know I've said inspiring before, but I do mean it!! Very inspiring. I would point out one more accuracy pitfall in this kit for the good of the order...aside from usually warped wings requiring diligent and careful correction to straighten (which you have obviously surmounted beautifully!), the nose gear is just plain not correct. Way too wide to even fit into the well if retracted, and tires too wide. Alas, Minicraft almost got every little thing right with this kit! You've done a nice job here. Just wish you'd show us the detailed gear you talked about...adding PE is great, if we can see it!!  Thanks for sharing. 

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Another stunner!

As always it's great to see a cheatlined livery but this one looks far more modern than most because of the all white fuselage. Certainly makes for easier painting especially with laser decals I'd imagine!

I've got a couple of these Minicraft DC8 kits in the stash and I must build one soon as they look really good and with cabin windows this large I'll definitely be using AA windows. Did you consider overlaying some on this livery Dave?

I'm with Paul, would be great to see some of the detail work on the undercarriage too. Strange that aerials and pitots were not on the PE set, that's one of my main reasons for using PE!

Cheers,

Ian 

• Like 2

That's fabulous Dave.

I remember seeing the DC-8s of Aviaco Spantax and Iberia during a holiday to Majorca in the early 70's and a couple of diversions into Manchester some time later.  I always thought the double titles on the fuselage of both the Iberia and Aviaco aircraft looked a little odd for some reason. 

Strangely, they don't look out of place at all in this lovely model.

Thanks for sharing this with us Dave.

Chris

• Like 1

That really looks the part. Excellent modelling. I have one of these in the stash plus decals for a KLM 63 and I’ve been trying to find a decent picture of the wing top surfaces to work out whether the central area was natural metal or coroguard / grey painted during this era. It’s very difficult to tell from photos. Can anyone help?

• Like 1

What a beauty! Such a graceful aircraft and the scheme suits it so well. 

I have got one of these in the stash with the CFM-56 engine set - seeing this is tempting me!

Lovely job!

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and likes - much appreciated :)

20 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Beautiful 8, Dave...you've done it again! Dazzled us all with an amazing, eye catching, and great build with an unusual and educational livery. Love what you've done with this great kit! I know I've said inspiring before, but I do mean it!! Very inspiring. I would point out one more accuracy pitfall in this kit for the good of the order...aside from usually warped wings requiring diligent and careful correction to straighten (which you have obviously surmounted beautifully!), the nose gear is just plain not correct. Way too wide to even fit into the well if retracted, and tires too wide. Alas, Minicraft almost got every little thing right with this kit! You've done a nice job here. Just wish you'd show us the detailed gear you talked about...adding PE is great, if we can see it!!  Thanks for sharing. 

Paul

Thanks Paul. I did absolutely nothing to the undercarriage that you didn't do - and do far better - in your superb -61 WIP which I had in front of me when I was working with the PE. I reduced the track of the nose wheels a bit but in hindsight I should probably have done more. I'll revisit this when I do my next DC-8 which is currently a toss-up between a KLM -62 and a Lufthansa -73F

19 hours ago, Turbofan said:

I've got a couple of these Minicraft DC8 kits in the stash and I must build one soon as they look really good and with cabin windows this large I'll definitely be using AA windows. Did you consider overlaying some on this livery Dave?

I'm with Paul, would be great to see some of the detail work on the undercarriage too. Strange that aerials and pitots were not on the PE set, that's one of my main reasons for using PE!

Cheers,

Ian 

Thanks Ian. The two most important things in building the Minicraft DC-8 are (a) straighten the wings and (b) refer to Paul's fantastic WIP which I linked above. There is no point in me posting photos of my inferior PE work when you can see his!

For this particular model I'm quite happy with Ray's windows which aren't fully "photo real" but are three dimensional to the point that I find them acceptable. If they had been plain grey or black I would certainly have overlaid them with AA windows but on this occasion I didn't feel either the expense or the effort was needed. It's one way that Ray's laser printed decals score over his screen printed ones and I wish he would go the whole hog and offer proper photo real cabin and cockpit windows.

11 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

That really looks the part. Excellent modelling. I have one of these in the stash plus decals for a KLM 63 and I’ve been trying to find a decent picture of the wing top surfaces to work out whether the central area was natural metal or coroguard / grey painted during this era. It’s very difficult to tell from photos. Can anyone help?

Thanks Chris. It really is a disgrace the way photographers in the 1970s and -80s failed to anticipate the needs of modellers in the 2020s! I enjoy research and it's always very satisfying when you track down the one photograph that gives you the answer but there sometimes comes a point where you just have to draw a line, take an educated guess and defy anybody to prove you wrong. That's what I did with this model and also with the ATI DC-9 which I posted a few months ago. So far nobody has complained!

Dave G

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

my next DC-8 which is currently a toss-up between a KLM -62 and a Lufthansa -73F

Please do a KLM -62 Dave, it's a classic!

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

For this particular model I'm quite happy with Ray's windows which aren't fully "photo real" but are three dimensional to the point that I find them acceptable. 

I see where you're coming from, there have been some howlers released by other companies in the past though! I guess it was all part of the evolution which has led us to the photo real windows available today.

I often wonder what will be available to us airliner modellers in 20 or 30 years time and will we look back and wonder how we were happy with what we have now?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

when I do my next DC-8 which is currently a toss-up between a KLM -62 and a Lufthansa -73F

I vote you build BOTH!!! I've lately been eyeing a KLM -62 myself....hmmm.....and thanks for the kind words. 

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

really lovely! the model, the livery, and the making is awesome. that one looks like it is really new 😄- a rare sight, but also i very much like it.

Again, very inspiring - i soon need to get my hands on an -8  and yours really shows what it should look like. 👌

Concerning your requested criticism i cant find anything from the build itself, the only thing i would have done differently is the windshield. sadly AAdecals did not get it right and the outer windows of the DC9/DC8/MD80 decal have the wrong geometry 🙄

looking forward to your next one, really precise and outstanding work from yours...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RCI said:

Hi Dave,

really lovely! the model, the livery, and the making is awesome. that one looks like it is really new 😄- a rare sight, but also i very much like it.

Again, very inspiring - i soon need to get my hands on an -8  and yours really shows what it should look like. 👌

Concerning your requested criticism i cant find anything from the build itself, the only thing i would have done differently is the windshield. sadly AAdecals did not get it right and the outer windows of the DC9/DC8/MD80 decal have the wrong geometry 🙄

looking forward to your next one, really precise and outstanding work from yours...

Thanks for your kind comments and that interesting and useful information. There is a strong tendency to assume that anything coming from Authentic Airliners will be accurate but recently I've seen modellers whose opinions I trust questioning the accuracy of their DC10/MD11 cockpit window decals and the nose shape of the Comet kits so maybe AA aren't perfect after all!