Hurricane I

This is my latest build, It is for the IMPS(UK)hurricane SIG display at Telford (2020 or 2021), which is hoped to have one aircraft of each Squadron in the Battle of Britain. This one is 242 Squadron machine and meant to be one of the ones flown by Sub Lt 'Jimmie' Gardner.

242 1

The Airfix kit is pretty much oob,I just added seat belts. The decals are from Xtradecals and went on perfectly as did the Airfix stencils and roundels.  I was unsure how to finish the model as the Xtradecal sheet shows LE T having the signal flags on the port and starboard sides and no serial. The Osprey Royal Naval Aces book shows a picture of LE T with the serial  V7203 with no signal flags, there is a close up picture of the flags but it shows no other detail and only shows the port side. The colour illustration shows the port side with the flags and the serial. 

242 2

So unless I find something different I went with flags on the port side  and no serial on the basis I can add easier than remove. 

242 3

Thanks for looking and if you know the answers to the above please let me know.

• Like 32

4 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

I was unsure how to finish the model as the Xtradecal sheet shows LE T having the signal flags on the port and starboard sides and no serial. The Osprey Royal Naval Aces book shows a picture of LE T with the serial  V7203 with no signal flags, there is a close up picture of the flags but it shows no other detail and only shows the port side. The colour illustration shows the port side with the flags and the serial. 

I'll stick a @tonyot and @Grey Beema  in as they maybe able to answer.

Note there is no "Hurricane Ia" ,  just Hurricane Mk.I

There is a Sea Hurricane IA, and the Mk.II use letter suffixes to denote wing fitted.  

Neat work  :goodjob:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Thanks Grey Beema. So it seems simplest to remove the flags and add the serial and that at least matches the photo I have.

Simples I hope.

Or leave the flags remove the T and replace with a V.  Remove the boot.

Or leave as is until someone can show a picture of the aircraft where you can see serial and letter..

• Like 2

On 20/06/2020 at 12:26, Silver Fox said:

The decals are from Xtradecals and went on perfectly as did the Airfix stencils and roundels.  I was unsure how to finish the model as the Xtradecal sheet shows LE T having the signal flags on the port and starboard sides and no serial. The Osprey Royal Naval Aces book shows a picture of LE T with the serial  V7203 with no signal flags, there is a close up picture of the flags but it shows no other detail and only shows the port side. The colour illustration shows the port side with the flags and the serial. 

should have clocked the serial...  subject of a thread linked below.... one of a few late fabric wing Mk.I's.....

Hawker-Hurricane-MkI-RAF-242Sqn-LET-SubL

• Haha 1

My understanding is Gardner flew P2884 LE-V most often with 242 Squadron, Cork flew P2831 LE-K, and V7203 LE-T was lost January 1941, along with Canadian Pilot Office Joseph Latta.

Jim

Edited by airjiml2
  • Like 2

My tuppence worth..

Gardner was seconded to 242 Sqn RAF, 7.1940 (till 11.1940)

Claimed 4 destroyed aircraft and 1 shared victory with 242 Sqn RAF during Battle of Britain.

10.07.40 He111 Destroyed, Hawker Hurricane Mk I Y3485/LE*(Unknown)

21.08.40 Do17 Destroyed, Do17 Shared, Hawker Hurricane Mk I P2884/LE*V

18.09.40 2 x Do17 Destroyed, Do17 Damaged.  Hawker Hurricane Mk I V6578/LE*(Unknown).

Serials are from 242 ORB.  P2884 aircraft letter from research quoted in an earlier post.  (Unknown) - my notation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1