`Dem Bums`, P-40K Warhawk, China, Summer 1943

Howdy all, thought you wouldn`t mind me bothering you with some pic`s of my latest effort

DierW7c.jpg

My attempt at Italeri`s reboxing of AMT`s 1/48 Warhawk kit, which alleges to give you the option of a P-40E or K but actually contains parts to do a long or short tailed `K`

l9xoKTO.jpg

Finished in the markings of `Dem Bums`, flown by 1st Lt Marvin Lubner, 78th FS/23rd FG, China, 1943

HqcUhMi.jpg

The kit is showing its age a bit now and made a few improvements, including: some shims to widen the nose a bit so it matches the prop` spinner diameter, fuel vent thing aft of the wings,....

Z1nGmPV.jpg

......brake pipes, under carriage retraction arms, ring and bead gunsight, clear piece on the main gunsight, modify the cockpit seat assy, and some canopy slide rails.

bTW4v7j.jpg

The markings are not in the kit but were from an old Sky Decals set, although I was tempted by the Alaskan markings on the kit sheet with the Wolf head on the nose

wlDwqGO.jpg

Lubner is believed to have flown the very last combat mission of WWII though not in this aircraft I imagine.

Hope you enjoy the photo`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Engine exhaust is spot on. In-the-field over paint very realistically duplicated. Cockpit looks very good. A mighty fine model you have there!

• Thanks 1

Excellent Russ 👍

Got the same kit in the stash, and have built one previously. I think it still builds in to a nice replica of the Warhawk.

🍺 Greg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, russ c said:

lthough I was tempted by the Alaskan markings on the kit sheet with the Wolf head on the nose

That sounds like an interesting scheme, not seen that before. 

Great build though 

• Thanks 1