1/144 MD-90 | Eastern Express

This is not my best model by far, but probably the most desired one, battle born with lots of setbacks. Definitely not the tidiest one, but I still like it!
I wanted to build MD-90 so bad.
Decals took almost 60 days to arrive (but they were a pleasure to work with and many thanks to Greg Drawbaugh for helping me out with my order). 
The correct grey colour took about a week of waiting and after that painting went horribly wrong. I painted 4 thin coats and it was worse and worse. I don't know what exactly went wrong since I was using spray can paint that time, painting outside, but I had to scrub it off in panic and paint it all over again with more or less satisfactory results. Still the surface is very rough.
The Eastern Express kit does not fit well, but I don't believe Minicraft is better either.
I've tried to give her a look of a real workhorse of an aircraft as she was, maybe slightly overdid.

Kit: Eastern Express MD-90 Delta Airlines
Decals: Draw Decals SAS MD-90, AA MD-87/90 Windows, a bit of kit decals

DSC6252.jpg

DSC6242.jpg

DSC6244.jpg

DSC6238.jpg

DSC6234.jpg

DSC6250.jpg

My lockdown T-tails fleet

DSC6256.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 24

Very nice indeed. The finished result doesn't show any sign of the problems you had. 

I can't say I've ever found fit problems with the Minicraft MD-80. I have built it several times including MD-87 and MD-90 conversions. I did run into trouble when I tried to use BraZ plugs to stretch the fuselage for the MD-90. The diameter was so badly out that I gave up and cut up a second kit. The BraZ fin and engines were fine and overall I was happy with the model.

Dave G

Hi Steve;

Sure looks good from here! Nicely done, for sure, regardless of the troubles you faced. Sometimes the Eastern Express kits can be frustrating, but I have yet seen one that was beyond a very good finish and presentation. And the Scandinavian livery makes the MD-90 look even better! I have one of these gems being delivered any day; going to finish her in the old Delta widget livery. Thank you for sharing! Keep up the good work! Practice, practice, practice! :star:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice indeed. The finished result doesn't show any sign of the problems you had. 

I can't say I've ever found fit problems with the Minicraft MD-80. I have built it several times including MD-87 and MD-90 conversions. I did run into trouble when I tried to use BraZ plugs to stretch the fuselage for the MD-90. The diameter was so badly out that I gave up and cut up a second kit. The BraZ fin and engines were fine and overall I was happy with the model.

Dave G

Thanks a lot!
I only had a Minicraft 757 with a Braz resin parts and it was quite a pain. Guess experience may vary from kit to kit.

25 minutes ago, Sent-off said:

Thanks a lot!
I only had a Minicraft 757 with a Braz resin parts and it was quite a pain. Guess experience may vary from kit to kit.

That is very much the case with Minicraft. You definitely shouldn't judge the whole Minicraft range by the 757 which is a load of rubbish. While some are poor (the 757 and the Electra spring to mind) other Minicraft kits are excellent - the DC-4, the DC-8 and the MD-80 are all very good, in fact the DC-4 is my all-time favourite airliner kit.

• Like 2