3 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Chaps,

Just a little bit of planning ahead for this GB next year. I plan to build an F-5B serial 42-67326 which took off from Mount Farm in Oxfordshire on a test flight before crashing at Swindon 39 mins later. A lot of the parts are in the WW11 museum in Kent.  I was planning to use the Tamiya kit but from what @trickyrich notes above then this F5 should be based on an H rather than the F/G in the Kit. Academy make a J so where's the best place to start for a 1/48th H?

If it still the Tamiya kit (since the H has the same radiators as the F rather than the chin radiators of the J) what else needs to be changed other than the nose?

Im not the greatest expert, my thoughts are stick with the Tamiya or a “Glacier girl” boxing of the Academy kit. It seems would be a lot easier to use a kit with the same cowlings and just re-scribe a few panel lines on the wings. Instead of trying to modify the later cowlings back to the earlier type. 

3 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Chaps,

Just a little bit of planning ahead for this GB next year. I plan to build an F-5B serial 42-67326 which took off from Mount Farm in Oxfordshire on a test flight before crashing at Swindon 39 mins later. A lot of the parts are in the WW11 museum in Kent.  I was planning to use the Tamiya kit but from what @trickyrich notes above then this F5 should be based on an H rather than the F/G in the Kit. Academy make a J so where's the best place to start for a 1/48th H?

If it still the Tamiya kit (since the H has the same radiators as the F rather than the chin radiators of the J) what else needs to be changed other than the nose?

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Not sure why it duplicated ?
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

Sign me up, I’ve a plan for an Aussie P-38…

edit to add… it seems @trickyrich have the same plan!  Let the games begin…

can never have enough Aussie P-38's!!  :thumbsup:  What are you planning to build?

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

can never have enough Aussie P-38's!!  :thumbsup:  What are you planning to build?

True that!  As it happens, I am planning exactly the same as you, one of the loaners in its Haze scheme.

10 hours ago, mark.au said:

True that!  As it happens, I am planning exactly the same as you, one of the loaners in its Haze scheme.

:D Have you got the Ronin decals set????   I've been looking everywhere for that one, sort of hoping they may re-release it. I have the CMK conversion set which includes decals for 56, but not the exact ones I'm after, which are the ones with the RAAF roundel plonked right over the stars-n-bars, which looks super cool

• Like 1

I have the CMK conversion too.  I’m doing “56” on its delivery flight and plan to literally put the RAAF roundels on top of the US markings.  If that doesn’t work I’ll paint the roundels instead… might do that anyway, actually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent most of today reading up on P-38's I can see that absent a Tardis there is a fair bit that's "debatable" as regards colours and wheel wells etc.  I have read over several builds and reviews and sometimes the info is contradictory.  For example I had thought the upper and lower surface paints and cockpit colours were pretty much agreed but found out today that there is credible evidence that Lockheed used the paint they had for the early marks.  It is suggested that paint was in short supply so they used stocks they had for the RAF Hudson orders which means the green and the grey are more RAF than USAAF specification.  

Got me wondering that as we have several months before the ref blows his whistle for the kick off maybe we should start a "Everything you want to know about P-38's" thread or do we do that here on this one?  What does the esteemed leader of the GB advise @trickyrich

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Having spent most of today reading up on P-38's I can see that absent a Tardis there is a fair bit that's "debatable" as regards colours and wheel wells etc.  I have read over several builds and reviews and sometimes the info is contradictory.  For example I had thought the upper and lower surface paints and cockpit colours were pretty much agreed but found out today that there is credible evidence that Lockheed used the paint they had for the early marks.  It is suggested that paint was in short supply so they used stocks they had for the RAF Hudson orders which means the green and the grey are more RAF than USAAF specification.  

Got me wondering that as we have several months before the ref blows his whistle for the kick off maybe we should start a "Everything you want to know about P-38's" thread or do we do that here on this one?  What does the esteemed leader of the GB advise @trickyrich

that sounds like a great idea, go for it

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Room for a small one? @mark.au gave me the germ of an idea, and I'm going to build A55-3 (you did say you can't have enough RAAF P38s!)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi Rich,

Room for a small one? @mark.au gave me the germ of an idea, and I'm going to build A55-3 (you did say you can't have enough RAAF P38s!)

Cheers,

Roger

there's plenty of room Roger.

Will be great to see another RAAF P-38 in the build, I had the sole one the last time we ran this build, we may have 3 or 4 this time!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Dansk said:

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a top-notch reference book with lots of good quality pictures in to aid our lightning builds?

Two I have picked up and find useful

Robert Peczkowski does a good 2 volume set  "Early Versions" and "Late Versions"  They are weak on history but strong on developments change notes, photos plans and profiles.  So very much with the modeller in mind.  I am doing an early P-38 so have Vol1 to hand.  Vol 2 is in storage

On history the Crowood Publication by Jerry Scutts is typical Crowood and usually available at reasonable cost.

The Osprey publications have some useful stuff too but I think they focus on later versions more from what I see.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Only a handfull of GB's for me this year but this was high on the list for personal reasons,Dad served in Italy 44-45 and many many years ago despite the fact

he must have seen me a hundred times sticking a kit together on the coffee table (Saturday morning's with my pocket money) only an Airfix Lightning really

caught his attention and in later years told me the tale off an occasion when his lorry was plastered by a pair of the fork tailed devil's on a dusty road way up

in the Po valley towards the end of the war,he and the rest of the driver's legged it into the corner of a foreign field that was forever England and thankfully

survived, the Yank's probably never realised it was a British convoy they had shot up what the German's must have made of it is anyone's guess!

Anyway thank's to Pete (in lincs) a 1/32 Revell offering has been negotiated for the GB.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/04/2022 at 18:32, stevej60 said:

Only a handfull of GB's for me this year but this was high on the list for personal reasons,Dad served in Italy 44-45 and many many years ago despite the fact

he must have seen me a hundred times sticking a kit together on the coffee table (Saturday morning's with my pocket money) only an Airfix Lightning really

caught his attention and in later years told me the tale off an occasion when his lorry was plastered by a pair of the fork tailed devil's on a dusty road way up

in the Po valley towards the end of the war,he and the rest of the driver's legged it into the corner of a foreign field that was forever England and thankfully

survived, the Yank's probably never realised it was a British convoy they had shot up what the German's must have made of it is anyone's guess!

Anyway thank's to Pete (in lincs) a 1/32 Revell offering has been negotiated for the GB.

My dad told me aircraft recognition was all very straightforward.

When they saw the Luftwaffe coming over he and his mates took cover

When they saw the RAF (usually Typhoons) coming over the Germans took cover

When they saw the Americans coming over everyone took cover :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/5/2022 at 5:13 AM, stevej60 said:

Well it's arrived,big and waiting for September!

IMG-20220503-WA0000

great choice Steve, she's a classic and she's in the proper scale as well! :D Revell had lots of fun with this model and released it in many forms since its first release in 1970.

I hope the U/c is strong as they recommend 30gm of weight to keep he on 3 wheels!!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't have a P-38 kit in The Stash, so I ordered one from evilbay.  I knew I wanted an Academy kit 'cos I've built one of those before.  However, I wasn't really paying attention when I was ordering it.   I just looked at the price.  22 quid?  Yeah, that's the 1/72 one.   :fool:

Wrong!   It was the 1/48 one!!!  :wall:

Looks like I'm building in 1/48...   :thumbsup:   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I didn't have a P-38 kit in The Stash, so I ordered one from evilbay.  I knew I wanted an Academy kit 'cos I've built one of those before.  However, I wasn't really paying attention when I was ordering it.   I just looked at the price.  22 quid?  Yeah, that's the 1/72 one.   :fool:

Wrong!   It was the 1/48 one!!!  :wall:

Looks like I'm building in 1/48...   :thumbsup:   

Result, always worth checking as the odd 1/48 slips past the algorithm......was going to pick up the italeri 1/72 for this, £27 quid is was on the shelf, glad I didn't given the scheme that tempted me isn't as depicted, maybe Ill join if i can get hold of the academy ETO boxing, and paint the invasion stripes the correct width..and have the vents/intakes missing on the HB kit this time....

• Like 2