54 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

Just curious, shouldn't this have been moved to the "Bunfight" section or am I missing something?

I’m not sure but I think - stress “think” which is dangerous where I’m concerned- but if I read what Enzo has said the poll doesn’t go live till November which means a 2022 build at the earliest ?  I “think”??

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I’m not sure but I think - stress “think” which is dangerous where I’m concerned- but if I read what Enzo has said the poll doesn’t go live till November which means a 2022 build at the earliest ?  I “think”??

Yes, but as it has gone over the magic 25 nominations, shouldn't it be moved like the others have?

• Like 1

I have poked Enzo the Magnificence a few times over this, but have sort of given up for now....think he's enjoying the pokes too much!!  :whistle:

Am having the same issue with the "Turning Japanese GB" that also has the numbers. 

But don't worry, they'll be in the voting....  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

too anyone that is wondering, we did make it...just in the end!!!  Thank you to all those that voted for this one, such an awesome aircraft so should be an awesome build.

..and yes we should be in the future section..... if I poke "it" hard enough with this stick  :poke:  or   :fight:  I'm sure I can move it across!  :D

I have to buy a model for this one, amazingly, of course it couldn't be anything else than the new Tamiya P-38F/G. Plus for the scheme/aircraft it'll be one of the rare RAAF P-38-F-4-1-LO's (that's a mouthful) Recon birds (there were only 3 RAAF ones), that were loaned to the RAAF by the USAAF. I have built one before...

DSCF2369-M.jpg

.... but this time I'll be using a different mod kit plus be doing one of the "Haze" scheme birds. They were mainly operated by the USAAF but for a short time the RAAF used these "blue" ones and they just dropped the RAAF roundel over the USAAF ones. 

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/picture.php?/41_2156_flown_by_WGCDR_Woof_Arthur_over_New_Britain_possibly_on_20_October_1943_The_photo_was_taken_by_Geoff_Atherton_who_was_flying_the_other_75_Squadron_Lightning_41_2220/category/lightning-41-2156

I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's builds, plus looking forward to an early strat to summer and those Thunder & Lightning storms! :D

• Like 3

Seems like this has been coming forever!! :D

I expect the start dates will be the back end of the year too !

However my 1/32 P-38 will take forever to build so while I might make a start it wont be the finished article by the end of the GB.  I know I can do some work prior to the GB starting as long as it does not go over a certain proportion of the overall build.  To add to the workload I am backdating the  Trumpeter "L" to an earlier model with the different engines so a load of resin to go on her.  Even with an early start my build rate will have a finish half way through 2024 !!:hmmm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Seems like this has been coming forever!! :D

I expect the start dates will be the back end of the year too !

However my 1/32 P-38 will take forever to build so while I might make a start it wont be the finished article by the end of the GB.  I know I can do some work prior to the GB starting as long as it does not go over a certain proportion of the overall build.  To add to the workload I am backdating the  Trumpeter "L" to an earlier model with the different engines so a load of resin to go on her.  Even with an early start my build rate will have a finish half way through 2024 !!:hmmm:

As I'm hosting the build I generally lets everyone join in no matter the build stage, the only thing builds over 25% can't do is post in the main gallery, but I now do like to have a gallery as well for these and inspirational builds as well. More fun for everyone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

As I'm hosting the build I generally lets everyone join in no matter the build stage, the only thing builds over 25% can't do is post in the main gallery, but I now do like to have a gallery as well for these and inspirational builds as well. More fun for everyone.

if I start tonight I might get the cockpit done by the mid summer!

Thanks Rich !

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

I'm not going to be in this GB, too many other commitments, sorry. However, I just had this short video served up to me on YouTube and since he talks about the Tamiya P-38 in what I found a very thought provoking way, I decided to pass it on. I hope you enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I'm not used to group builds on Britmodeler.

If the few neurons that remain to me did the synthesis well, a group, the subject of which is P38, will be organized from September 10 to December 11, 2022 ?!

In that case, could I play with you?

My main objective will be to give myself a good kick in ... to lower the stock!🥾 :hobbyhorse::giggle:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very sorry to say I will have to drop out of this GB guys :crying: i did vote for you in the bunfight but alas I have not stocked up on the required kit (Trumpeter P-38L) and I'm all in for the Border Model Lancaster this year, which means no other kit purchases until its fate is decided. Good luck with your builds in any case.

• Sad 1

On 11/25/2021 at 2:31 AM, Snafu35 said:

Hello,

I'm not used to group builds on Britmodeler.

If the few neurons that remain to me did the synthesis well, a group, the subject of which is P38, will be organized from September 10 to December 11, 2022 ?!

In that case, could I play with you?

My main objective will be to give myself a good kick in ... to lower the stock!🥾 :hobbyhorse::giggle:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Welcome to your first GB....well STGB, you're more than welcome to join in, just remember to make note of the start date and we look forward to seeing you then.

On 11/25/2021 at 4:02 AM, Alan P said:

Very sorry to say I will have to drop out of this GB guys :crying: i did vote for you in the bunfight but alas I have not stocked up on the required kit (Trumpeter P-38L) and I'm all in for the Border Model Lancaster this year, which means no other kit purchases until its fate is decided. Good luck with your builds in any case.

that's a shame, perfectly understandable......... hopefully the starts and modelling gods (and no not Enzo this time) look down on you with good fortune.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome to your first GB....well STGB, you're more than welcome to join in, just remember to make note of the start date and we look forward to seeing you then.

Great! I'm gonna have a new bunch of friends! :rofl:

Can you enlighten me on one point? I have read that it takes a minimum of 25%. Enough to? Should we start the model at 25% before the start of the group build?

Or will the model need to be at least 25% complete by the end of the group build?

Or maybe I should stop illicit drinks while browsing the forum; Would I understand better that way?:hmmm:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snafu35 said:

Can you enlighten me on one point? I have read that it takes a minimum of 25%. Enough to? Should we start the model at 25% before the start of the group build?

Or will the model need to be at least 25% complete by the end of the group build?

Or maybe I should stop illicit drinks while browsing the forum; Would I understand better that way?:hmmm:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Hi Eric from a new friend :D

the rule is ideally it’s a new start on the model when the start date for the GB comes round but if you have a started model you can still enter that as long as it’s no more than 25% complete. Above 25% it wouldn’t be eligible. 

• Thanks 1

Hello, JohnT,

Thank you for your explanations.

I just started riveting the wings:

dscf7717.jpg

So I hold onto the brake.

Otherwise I still have two other models in stock, if I have difficulty waiting for the signal start ! :rolleyes:

Or we will say that this start of construction is an advertisement to come and see, no pretension!:D

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

No the idea is to try and not start the model before the start date of the build....... that can be hard for some! :D No generally as long as the build is under 25% started/built you are fine to finish her and add her to the finished gallery.

But of late with mine and other hosts GB we allow more advance builds to join in the build, but to be fair those advanced builds don't go into the main gallery. Instead I will probably have a "Inspirational Gallery" for these/those advanced (ie > 25%) builds and previously built builds to go in. Why not show off some of members other builds!  

• Like 2

Correct me if I am wrong...There are not huge external cosmetic differences between the P-38 variants.  The F has drop tank pylons...the H is about the same with racks for bombs...the L has different engines (are the nacelles the same?)...and the F-5A is the photo recon version of the G (which has different radio gear.)  So...my question is...I have four kits--Airfix F/H; FROG J/L; Italeri J and one of the awful F-5A from RS Models.  I would like to use the decals from the RS kit on the old Airfix and FROG kits.  Would that be an issue?  What kind of modifications would I need for a photo recon?  From what I have read the answer is 'not much'.

Please chime in...

--John

7 hours ago, John Masters said:

Correct me if I am wrong...There are not huge external cosmetic differences between the P-38 variants.  The F has drop tank pylons...the H is about the same with racks for bombs...the L has different engines (are the nacelles the same?)...and the F-5A is the photo recon version of the G (which has different radio gear.)  So...my question is...I have four kits--Airfix F/H; FROG J/L; Italeri J and one of the awful F-5A from RS Models.  I would like to use the decals from the RS kit on the old Airfix and FROG kits.  Would that be an issue?  What kind of modifications would I need for a photo recon?  From what I have read the answer is 'not much'.

Please chime in...

--John

well interestingly you should say that as i have this...

P-38J-10-LO%20Recon%20(F-5B-1-LO)-X2.jpg

I'm not 100% sure where I got this from, the F-5A is essentially the same except the Gun port covers aren't there, that section is nice and smooth. Plus you are correct there is no external differences between the P-38F and P-38G, so your decal swap is ok. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

there is no external differences between the P-38F and P-38G, so your decal swap is ok. 

That's a relief.  It will be easy enough to fill in any gun ports or sand stuff down.  There is also a mention of oil radiator flaps and chin radiators on the H and J respectively.  I assume these would be easily scratch-built if they were that noticeable.

Thanks @trickyrich

Good morning John 

You should read this 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

"The P-38J was introduced in August 1943. The turbosupercharger intercooler system on previous variants had been housed in the leading edges of the wings and had proven vulnerable to combat damage and could burst if the wrong series of controls was mistakenly activated. In the P-38J series, the streamlined engine nacelles of previous Lightnings were changed to fit the intercooler radiator between the oil coolers, forming a "chin" that visually distinguished the J model from its predecessors. "

Best Regards 

Patrice 

Hi Chaps,

Just a little bit of planning ahead for this GB next year. I plan to build an F-5B serial 42-67326 which took off from Mount Farm in Oxfordshire on a test flight before crashing at Swindon 39 mins later. A lot of the parts are in the WW11 museum in Kent.  I was planning to use the Tamiya kit but from what @trickyrich notes above then this F5 should be based on an H rather than the F/G in the Kit. Academy make a J so where's the best place to start for a 1/48th H?

If it still the Tamiya kit (since the H has the same radiators as the F rather than the chin radiators of the J) what else needs to be changed other than the nose?